University of Birmingham | Student Reviews

1,460 University of Birmingham reviews

• University of Birmingham
Manisha

Medicine (Graduate Entry) (4 years) MB ChB

University have been great at moving the content online but could have improved interactivity. Sites such as kahoot have been great for this as used by some tutors but not others. There are plenty of opportunities to do sports or any other activities around the uni. People are friendly and transport options are great. Staff support is variable depending on the member of the team you speak to.

Charlotte

University of Birmingham

English and Creative Writing BA (Hons)

This academic year has been good, the modules have been interesting, and the primary reading good. After the pandemic began, the course has functioned well over zoom, with a healthy balance of using break out rooms, the zoom group chat, as well as discussion boards on canvas, in addition to the standard class discussions.

Anna

University of Birmingham

Social Policy and Sociology BA (Hons)

Since this was the first full academic year during the pandemic, I understand that it was a lot of effort for the staff to provide us with all the necessary guidance and teaching. Currently I've got the hang of it and I should do much better next year, but it was a bit of a struggle to wrap my mind around things at some points. I did get to meet/talk to new people and I did learn new things, so I guess it is all right in the end.

Lorna

University of Birmingham

History and History of Art BA (Hons)

Academically, I have felt as though the dominant online learning has prevented me from meeting people on my courses and has thus made me feel partly disconnected from the learning environment. However, I have had a great overall experience. I have made the best of the social experience we could have experienced in this year and made amazing friends.

Alexandra

English BA (Hons)

The teaching has been alright but I haven’t always felt supported. Having to fly from Gibraltar to England every term has been a difficult stress for me which the university doesn’t seem to account for. I have still had a fun time because I made friends and have explored Birmingham as much as possible. Covid hasn’t really helped the situation though, as there have been so many restrictions and campus being closed

Sarah

University of Birmingham

Politics and International Relations with Year Abroad BA (Hons)

My overall experience has been really good at university. Obviously through covid and simply leaving home for the first time it has not been easy but the university has been good at supporting us.

Katherine

University of Birmingham

Drama and Theatre Arts BA (Hons)

I spent most of my first semester and university, which was a really great way to familiarise myself with the campus and surrounding areas before coming home and having to move fully online for the rest of the year. My experience was made slightly worse by unpleasant and unfriendly flatmates who made our shared living spaces an uncomfortable place to live, meaning myself and my other flatmates did not feel safe returning to campus, even when restrictions were lifted enough to do so. However, the academic and pastoral support I received from the staff on my course was incredible. Even when we were fully online for semester 2, they still made time for us individually in seminars and arranged individual tutorials. It never felt like we were isolated despite not being together physically. I am also studying a heavily practical based course which had to be carried out online, and I thought they adapted it in a way that we still felt like we were learning valuable skills.

Kiera

University of Birmingham

Social Policy and Criminology BA (Hons)

Of course, the pandemic has affected this year's experience due to a lack of facilities being in use. Having said this, this is not the university's fault and they have tried to accommodate.

Larissa

University of Birmingham

I think the University has tried to adapt to online teaching of seminars, lectures and online office hours. It can sometimes be difficult to reach support due to everything being online.

Rory

University of Birmingham

I could’ve done the whole thing from home. Essentially an open university course that cost £9,250. The marking was incredibly harsh considering the situation. I haven’t attended any sessions this term due to my mental health and no one from the uni has reached out. They don’t know I’m struggling and they don’t really care.