1,460 University of Birmingham reviews

• University of Birmingham
Shaunagh

Mathematics MSci (Hons)

Covid has seriously impacted this year. Online lectures have not been worth the money we’ve paid as well as the limited access to facilities. Speaking to tutors and lecturers over Zoom isn’t the same and the assessed work being made harder was unfair.

Seerut

Sociology BA (Hons)

I have spent over a year working from home and doing online study. There have challenges in terms of workload and assignment deadlines occasionally but I have managed to organise my time efficiently. Although, it has been difficult socially as I have not been able to go to society events and take part and therefore it’s been difficult to make new friends.

W
William

History BA (Hons)

My overall experience has been very good, managed to meet and make a lot of friends despite lockdown restrictions making it very hard to socialise. Academically the university has provided all the resources I have currently needed such as the library both physical and online.

Student

University of Birmingham

Biomedical Science BSc (Hons)

Not been on campus this year so not had the best experience , but online uni has been okay and manageable . Teaching online has been okay but in person teaching allows you to confidently speak and engage with lectures as online it can be intimidating. Online learning can be hindered with network issues which is a real problem in exam time. overall the academic year has been manageable but would have preferred some face to face sessions.

Emma

University of Birmingham

Liberal Arts and Sciences BA (Hons)/BSc (Hons)

I'm transferring for a number of reasons but I wouldn't necessarily tell someone not to go here - just not for me. If you need somewhere with good student support, and a course that is consistently engaging then maybe look elsewhere

Tom

University of Birmingham

Materials Science & Engineering MEng (Hons)

The management have repeatedly demonstrated their sheer disregard for students and their well-being. Mental health wait times are 2-3 months. Student demands are ignored. Staff are underpaid. Do not study here.

Social Work MA

I was really looking forward to this uni. I had read some good reviews and heard some excellent experiences from former students and friends. however, my experience was awful. I would never recommend a Russell group university to anyone.

Mirela

Social Work MA

I have no words, a complete waste of time and money. Useless staff from the admin office to the finance and tutors. Tutors do not respond to student's concerns and when they do is very shallow and defensive. Students' voice are not taken into consideration. They didn't have lecturers to teach whole modules and we were sent home to do self-directed learning. This basically means that you go home and look on google if you want to learn something. Lectures recorder online (before Covid19!) The quality of teaching was below any standard. No support from personal tutors, who take the maximum time that they are allowed to respond to emails. Very defensive and arrogant members of staff in the Social Work department. Tutors have very minimal qualifications, very few with PhDs. Overall, I'm glad that I managed to get a qualification but I would never go back there!!!

14 Aug 20

Biochemistry BSc (Hons)

I have really enjoyed my course and met some amazing people, but difficulty in my personal life, coupled with a university that doesn't seem to care has led to an overall experience that is not great. It has been a difficult few years that I don't expect to look back on fondly.

30 Jul 20

English BA (Hons)

Daunting. It's a very scary place at the beginning - homesickness is a real issue. However, once you settle down, it becomes so much easier than you'd ever believe. Regarding the social aspect of it though it's not as amazing as it's made out to be, in all honesty. It's very stressful and you may feel like you can't go on at times, but you definitely can and just need to push through.