University of Sunderland

• University of Sunderland
HM
Holly Margetts

Medicine MB ChB

The uni is right next to the beach which is lush in the summer! There are 2 campuses so you get a vary of where you study (my favourite is St Peter’s Campus). The staff on the medicine course are fantastic and pastoral support is always given. Everyone here is so friendly and lovely. The accommodation is a really good size (we get it for free as medics) and has en suite bathrooms in Scotia Quay. Something that could be improved however is the SU. There isn’t really a bar that is open ligg no enough for it to be worthwhile to spend any time there, and this means it’s harder to meet other people. I feel like most of the events put on aren’t of any interest to me or work within my timetable. Still, I love Sunderland and wouldn’t want to be studying anywhere else!

DP
Daniel Parris

MSc Computer Science with Data Science

NOTE - This a review for the ONLINE Msc in Data and Computer Science so I've no experience with the facilities, location, campus look and feel, student life and students union - hence giving them all 3 stars. Signed up for the online MA in Data and Computer Science, about half way through and to be frank the provision is inconsistent at best. Some tutors are unresponsive, some units are poorly resourced. Feedback is also inconsistent - some tutors take the time to write detailed feedback but some don't, writing what feels like the bare minimum of 4-5 short sentences for a project worth 65% of a module - not the most helpful if you want to learn and improve! Scores of technical issues as well including the current assignment requiring a zip file to be uploaded but the online submission tool not taking zip files - all causing massive amounts of anxiety. If I'm brutally honest the course feels just like a cash grab from Sunderland University and I feel like my progress is unimportant to them. Happy to speak about my experiences if you need more information to decide upon a course, please feel free to message me!

KC
Katie Coleman
First gen student

Physiotherapy BSc (Hons)

Unreal facilities including anatomy labs with state of the art technology and city space (a gym, study area and cafe all in one). The staff are brilliant, on my course we have tutors with a range of backgrounds but they’re all so so knowledgeable and easy to talk to. The student accommodation in sunderland isn’t the greatest although very very cheap! The transport links to Newcastle are fab so living a little further away is always an option.

2 people found this helpful

Theodora

Clinical Psychology BSc (Hons)

My overall experience in this university has been very pleasant. Along with developing my academic abilities I have also developed my social abilities, which I believe to be an essential part of what a university has to offer. I learned a lot about communication and working in a group on a more professional level. Moreover, the facilities of the university continuously give students the chance to expand their academic experiences with very favorable conditions.

Sophia
20 Jul 21

MSc Computer Science with Data Science

Good tuition fee, which compared to other famous schools, quality of the courses, excellence of supporting students from school. I am very satisfied and happy with my choice. The great thing I love at the University of Sunderland. The staff is very helpful and friendly, they answer all your questions, remind you every week for upcoming assignments or activities.

HW
HARVEY WRIGHT

Medicine MB ChB

The facilities are all brand new and state of the art for medicine with exciting new developments each year, The demanding course is backed by the universities great proximity to the beach for time to unwind and the staff are amazing a keeping you on target when you need them, The location and life is great newcastle is only 15 mins up the road or a short metro away but sunderland is a cheap fun night out and cheap to live in once you move out of halls, it is in a great location for studying medicine as the north east has a vary interesting patient demographic , With the campus being brand new it’s amazing and there’s always new building work going on, The student Union is eager to set up new societies so any ideas you have you can bring to life

2 people found this helpful

LD
Luminita Doncila

University of Sunderland was the best choice I did since I came in UK. Being student it’s really interesting and a right step for every person who wants join an amazing journey. I consider this is the best thing that this country can offer to people because it prepares you intellectually and socially for your career and life. The studying proccess is interesting, teachers are soooo good. Our lectures are a pleasure for all of us. Discussing ideas, debating topics, sharing our thoughts , all of this made us to form a team work. We’re gaining abilities, skills, knowledge every day and we don’t want stop here. We are welcome for many others capacities, and our university is giving us this opportunity. Opportunity to discover our personality, aptitudes and growing ourselves. As well students receive a lot of rewards, there is a lot of events, opportunity to travel across UK and other countries as well. As students are from different background, we finding up about others culture, we practice together a strong communication improving english language and I’m grateful that university united us. Is this not good? It’s GREAT 😊 My studies are taking place in London and this place is amazing. Have you heard about Canary Wharf area? Exactly, University of Sunderland has campus in heart of Canary Wharf and we all are happy to be part of this journey. All the facilities makes us feel good. Library is that amazing place where you go and can work for your own having all the IT support and any books you need. The best review for University of Sunderland is their happy students. If you want a good change in life choose a good university. Investing in yourself and your skills will take you to the bright future. I chose to invest my time at University of Sunderland, London campus and I suggest to everyone who wants to move forward, just do it. University is taking you to the next step and offers to you that good impact you need in life. I love my university.

Steven

Cybersecurity and Digital Forensics with Integrated Foundation Year BSc (Hons)

This was the worst decision that I have ever made, and I was a teenager once! We are doing assignments with software that we've not used for all of last year, and the computers do not even keep time! THIS IS IMPERATIVE during a forensic investigation, and 2 years and 2 months at uni, still not discussed cybersecurity other than the breach(es) and still not learned anything of value. I wish I could go back in time more than anything. PLEASE RESEARCH ALTERNATIVES!!!!!

KF
Kristina Filkova

Marketing MA

Everything has been great. The university had done their best under the circumstances. I have learnt a lot this year and I have enjoyed it very much. I believe it was value for money as none of what has happened with the virus has been the uni's fault. They have accommodated pretty fast, offering support and guidance.

Ellie

Primary Education with QTS BA (Hons)

Overall, due to covid my uni experience has not been the best. This is due to the quality of teaching and learning not being as high as expected. Everything seems a lot more unorganised and last minute and there is ALOT of last minute changes to timetabling and plans.