Harper Adams University

• Harper Adams University
CK
Charlotte Kiely

PgC / PgD / MSc / MRes Agroecology

The student support is brilliant and the staff are excellent. The campus itself is lovely and is in a beautiful, rural location but it is a distance from any city. Newport, Shropshire is the nearest town which is very small and has no easy pedestrian route from the campus (40+ minute walk). It's really pretty and great if you want a proper country life but if you're looking for a more cosmopolitan university experience this may not suit. There is also one bar and one pub on campus, nice for a drink in the sun and the union throws some great balls.

Tom

The university don't make use of all their facilities to students.

RB
Rachel Burke

Agriculture with Animal Science (with Placement) BSc (Hons)

The campus has a really good community feel that you don't get anywhere else. The on site farm is easily accessible and is an excellent learning tool with plenty opportunities to get involved. The facilities are all close bye especially in first year when you live on campus.

NB
Naomi Boyd
First gen student

Veterinary Bioscience (with Placement) BSc (Hons)

student services is amazing when I spoke to Joana de silva she was so lovely and helpful however I spoke to a different member of staff one evening when I felt extremely home sick and she told me that its fine if I want to drop out she's expecting 50 students to drop out by Christmas, this piece of information was very unhelpful and more upsetting. I also contacted my residence officer out of course because I had a temp of 40c and my mum was worried about me taking convulsions as this is something my family struggles with. she was extremely unhelpful and told me I had no other symptoms of covid so it wasn't that which seemed to be her main worries. on behalf of the harsh marking on students union they do run very good opportunities for students however I feel like to focus of the students within the students union has become irrelevant to the university. The main factor has been with the LGBTQ community which I fully respect and support as its associated with mental health however there was no consideration on supporting februdairy or other agricultural topics on the farming industry which the university specialises in. On a more positive note I love the rural location of the university and the facilities are amazing. including the opportunity we as students get to interact in farm skills sessions. Coming to uni from NI, the ability to go out in the evening and farm which I would have done at home has been available to me through farm skills sessions.

MH
Megan Harvey

The support that the staff offer the students is outstanding. More clubs and societies to include more people

JR
James Rogers

Harper Adams University, some may never have heard of when you tell them that is where study. The countryside is somewhere where I have always belonged and to get a university atmosphere in that kind of location is something that i was looking for. 3 years later and I'm enjoying my time even more. The smaller year group means you make even more friends and thus amazing memories. The hands on experience you receive from the university and placement year you take in the middle will shape you into a even more appealing candidate for jobs in the wider world after university. Something which will take lots of stress off my shoulders when the time comes.

SB
Sandra Barrantes
First gen student

Veterinary Bioscience (with Placement) BSc (Hons)

Harper Adams University became my firm choice from the moment they interviewed me. I was accepted into another four universities, including the University of Liverpool and Lincoln University. Still, despite them also being great institutions, they did not make me feel at home, which HAU did just from the interview. Most of the students here come from a farming or agricultural background, making it very easy to get to know each other. Furthermore, the university is located in a rural area but close enough to the city as Newport is just 10 minutes away and Telford is 20 minutes away. I am an international student from Spain, and since day one, I have felt at home. Its well-being and student support team really helped me get through homesickness during the first week, and they were willing to help me in any other possible way. They found a postgraduate student from Colombia with who I could speak in Spanish, and she showed me around the university before starting week 1. What makes Harper Adams a great place to study is, in my opinion, its organisation of the year and its facilities. The year is divided into weeks which was new for me. Each week we would have one lecture, one practical and one tutorial. Until Christmas, we had online lectures due to covid regulations, but afterwards, we started with in-person lectures in the three different lecture theatres the university counts with. The online lectures were pre-recorded lectures that we could find in the learning hub. Having the class recorded was such an excellent tool for students to revise that they continued to record the face to face lectures so that in the future, we could use them to revise or if you could not attend because of isolation, you still had the chance to take notes from it and not miss anything important. The tutorials were in groups of up to 20 people, and they were like a brief introduction of what we were going to do on the practical. Practicals would usually occur either on the farm or in the labs. Since I am a visual learner, having a practical each week was really helpful as I had the chance to put into practice what we had learned at the lecture. Life on campus is also a strength of HAU. The Student Union is always planning different events and parts at the Welly Inn and the first week was full of activities such as bingo night, ABBA night, UV night and many more. During these activities, I had the chance to meet new people from all of the courses and different countries. The halls as well are magnificent. I am staying in Darwin A, which is self-catered, and the rooms are en-suite, but it has four more different types: self-catered shared, catered en-suite, catered shared and catered standard. The campus also has a feed store with all the basics, and in case of emergency, it is beneficial, a cafe place where you can get some work done or hang out with your friends and a restaurant. To sum up, Harper Adams University has checked all of my boxes as well as my parent's boxes without a doubt, and I would definitely recommend studying here.

1 people found this helpful

Adam

Veterinary Nursing (top-up) BSc (Hons)

Worst Aspect is where it is. For the agricultural side of the university it is good, however for me who isn’t in agri course, we are basically in the middle of nowhere, and I have to get people to drive me to where I need to go. Obviously I know this cannot change but I’ll write it anyway. The best part is the student union. They have been so helpful in everything I’ve needed help in and been super supportive and understanding!

BC
Ben Chilman

Agriculture with Farm Business Management (with Placement) BSc (Hons)

Very clean and friendly campus, can be quite lonely

OC
Olivia Cheshire-Vallance

Great community and lovely location in the countryside, making the transition from home to living away much easier

1 people found this helpful