Student reviews of Anglia Ruskin University

794 Anglia Ruskin University reviews

• Anglia Ruskin University
Erin

Film Studies and Media Studies MPhil

I have grown immensely as a researcher as I have gained knowledge in academic writing, conducting literature reviews, and critically analyzing film and other forms of art. I feel confident and equipped to succeed.

Dijana

International Social Welfare and Social Policy MSc

Having attended the University some years ago as an undergraduate, the changes which have happened in the interim before I began postgrad study here have been positive-improved facilities, social spaces and the constant reflexivity towards course structure and content as well as student involvement mean that students can be sure that if they are willing to engage proactively with every aspect of their university experience they have the opportunity to make a difference in an environment that appropriates a diverse range of student voices, acts upon student input and collectively isn't afraid to challenge conventions.

Sam

Anglia Ruskin University

Paramedic Science BSc (Hons)

Overcrowded course, not enough staff, teething problems for a fairly new course involving online learning material has made things a little awkward at times. Ultimately the University wants your cash. As much as possible. The people they have employed are great, but they dont employ enough, that would cost them money. They could also deliver the course in 2 years instead of three, but that too would mean more staff, and more money, oh and they would miss out on a third year of 9,000 quid each. The University is fairly poor facilities wise, contact time is minimal, 'self directed study' is an amazing excuse for penny pinching. They do give you £400 a year to spend on books. However, its only at one book store, on campus, where all the prices are jacked up. They dont have many books, so you'll have to order them online, which incurs even further cost. It looks good, gives great PR, in reality most students buy overpriced electronic items and waste it anyway, books are cheaper and better from amazon or ebay. In line with this, my course involves a lot of placement, often some distance away. When I am on placement I drive over 70 miles a day, 10/15 weeks of the year. That is not cheap. Imagine if I wasn't fortunate enough to have my own car, and had to use public transport?! But friendly old university has you covered right? I mean, you're paying them nearly nine-thou.. wrong. Placement costs are not included, and are not negligible. There is a small fund to assist with this but they run out each year after partially covering a handful of students costs. There are 70 people on my course, in my year alone. We all incur those costs. I do want to re-mention however just how good the staff are here. University as a concept/system is an ugly cash hungry elitist monster, but the people in this one, on this course, deserve great credit.

Milosz

Anglia Ruskin University

Film and Television Production BA (Hons)

For the last 3 years I’ve been doing Film and TV Production at Anglia Ruskin University, and it is everything I wanted it to be. The course, which is divided into several modules, focuses heavily on putting the students into the shoes of filmmakers. The university provides us with the equipment used on professional film sets and allows us to learn from practice rather than theory. With modules such as Documentary, TV Studio, Specialised Practice and the final Major Project, the course becomes a worthwhile and entertaining experience while enhancing artistic skills in the area of filmmaking.

Jade

Anglia Ruskin University

Writing and Film Studies BA (Hons)

Anglia Ruskin University has, so far, given me an amazing university experience. Having studied Drama in my first year and now having transferred onto the Writing and Film course, I can say without a doubt that the student services give wonderful support with your options as a student. As a course rep for my current course, I have gained a huge responsibility of making sure fellow students are enjoying what they do, as well as communicating with staff on a professional level. What ARU doesn't tell you is how much respect you will be given as a student, and it's phenomenal when you realise how your lecturers will give you such independence with your coursework and how much love they have for their industries. It really is all about “U” here, and it's really shown!

Charlotte

Photography BA (Hons)

Its been good and I've made great friends. Although its been stressful and wish I could live away but too expensive

Nik