Student reviews of University of Exeter

Filter reviews

Kara

Animal Behaviour MSc
28 Aug 18

It has been very disappointing. Most of my peers regret choosing this course. It feels as though we have not gained anything out of it in terms of employability or skills. There are very few positives, and when this was fed back to the course heads, it was met with a lot of resistance. A key thing to note is that for some research projects there may be costs which will not be funded if they occur after the deadline, and this is not mentioned until after you have chosen your project. There is also a cost to print two copies of your dissertation and research diary, and then to purchase a memory stick to hand in your raw data. This has been very frustrating. The main positive thing was the city itself which is lovely.

Stephanie Cheung

University of Exeter

Economics and Politics BSc (Hons)
04 Aug 18

My overall university experience so far has been amazing! For anyone thinking of applying, please watch Francesca Michaud's videos - they were my savour! I cannot stress enough how much she has helped me and she answers individual questions too! You can't just go off on other applicants' opinions, it's best to ask an graduate or current student. Exeter is an amazing uni in a beautiful city!

Biochemistry BSc (Hons)
24 Jul 18

My university experience was extremely positive in first year. As I gradually progressed through second and third year my experience started to decline. I felt that I was slowly loosing interest in the content I was being taught and purely chasing grades. I was struggling to achieve the high standards despite working very hard which can be very disheartening. I did a research project in my final year to give me a taste of what it would be like if I did want to pursue a career in this field. I enjoyed the work I did in the lab as I was finally building on my knowledge not just learning a new topic to pass an exam. Sadly it seems the people who go into research are quite elitist, which can create a rather unpleasant working environment. Some are quite introverted but kind and others seem to enjoy feeling superior over others due to their intellectual achievements. Quite sad really. Overall I wish that I never went to uni. I feel like university no longer gives any advantages to getting a job. I just have £27,000 plus of debt, a piece of paper, that I spent 3 years working for. This is just my slightly negative experience, so take it with a pinch of salt. After all I made some very good friends and learnt a lot about the trials and tribulations of living with housemates. If you really want to go into research, then go to uni. If you're just getting a degree because you think it'll get you a job don't.

Lou

University of Exeter

My time at Exeter has been incredible- being a EU student from outside of the UK, I was very worried that I would feel excluded when I first arrived but everyone I met was friendly and warm and I have made life-long friends. My psychology course has given me some tough times but overall I could not have hoped for better lecturers and course content, all of it has been a new and loved experience! My life at Exeter is only boring if I want it to be; there are always things to do and it is only when I decide to have a quiet evenning at home that I realise how fast time flies. I would recomment this University to everyone, its enviroment which is very green with fresh air but still has a small city feel, and especially its people and its courses make it an extraordinary once in a lifetime experience!

Alex Houseago

University of Exeter

Economics with European Study BSc (Hons)

Overall I have enjoyed my time here. The social life is great, and there are many opportunities to meet others through the plethora of student societies. However the lecture sizes were too large to be very engaging, and there was always a lack of study space on campus.

Kira Martin

Anthrozoology MA

Lovely place and interesting topic. Shame some of the tutors and teaching wasn't as I might have expected from a centre of academic excellence. Overall the place is excellent, but I wouldn't do this particular course again.

Calvin Browne

Physics BSc (Hons)

Excellent, I met lots of diverse and interesting people. I learnt much about the incredible depth of Physics and saw opportunities to get involved in. I got to further myself by getting involved in societies and help others.

Amira Conley-Conversi

University of Exeter

Archaeology and Anthropology with Study Abroad BA (Hons)

They were some of the best years ever! Even with all the work load stress. I really enjoyed every module I took, everything was incredibly interesting and I learnt so many things that I would never have otherwise.

Danlei Chen

University of Exeter

Management with Marketing with Industrial Experience (4 years) BA (Hons)

Very good experience. My bachelor study lays a foundation for me to get further education, such as postgraduate. I like Exeter university very much regarding on its facilities and learning environment.

Amy

Anthrozoology MA

I would go back to Exeter but definitely not for this course. Lovely place, I thought the course should have been much better for the price and the reputation of the programme head. Felt very disappointed with the (in my opinion) very biased language and attitude of one lecturer when discussing certain ethical and emotive topics. Wasn't expecting to find that in a top university. Would have given Exeter a much higher rating if it wasn't so difficult to access additional guidance through the lecturers, I felt that they should know of appropriate readings and avenues of support. Although it must be said that most tutors were very flexible with tutorial times, and some were very helpful with additional readings sources, particularly around pets.

Search for university reviews

Filter by subject

Highest Rated Universities(by category)

Student Gold Award Overall Rating
This is this uni's WUSCA 2018 ranking for the overall rating category. See the full league table here
RANKING FOR OVERALL RATING: 1
Student Silver Award Overall Rating
RANKING FOR OVERALL RATING: 2
Student Bronze Award Overall Rating
RANKING FOR OVERALL RATING: 3
Student Gold Award Job Prospects
This is this uni's WUSCA 2018 ranking for the job prospects category. See the full league table here
RANKING FOR JOB PROSPECTS: 1
Student Silver Award Job Prospects
RANKING FOR JOB PROSPECTS: 2
Student Bronze Award Job Prospects
RANKING FOR JOB PROSPECTS: 3
Student Gold Award Course & Lecturers
This is this uni's WUSCA 2018 ranking for the course & lecturers category. See the full league table here
RANKING FOR COURSE & LECTURERS: 1
Student Silver Award Course & Lecturers
RANKING FOR COURSE & LECTURERS: 2
Student Bronze Award Course & Lecturers
RANKING FOR COURSE & LECTURERS: 3
Student Gold Award Students' Union
This is this uni's WUSCA 2018 ranking for the students' union category. See the full league table here
RANKING FOR STUDENTS' UNION: 1
Student Silver Award Students' Union
RANKING FOR STUDENTS' UNION: 2
Student Bronze Award Students' Union
RANKING FOR STUDENTS' UNION: 3
Sponsored by... Fresh Student Living
Student Gold Award Accommodation
This is this uni's WUSCA 2018 ranking for the accommodation category. See the full league table here
RANKING FOR ACCOMMODATION: 1
Student Silver Award Accommodation
RANKING FOR ACCOMMODATION: 2
Student Bronze Award Accommodation
RANKING FOR ACCOMMODATION: 3
Sponsored by... Revolution viewing
Student Gold Award Uni Facilities
This is this uni's WUSCA 2018 ranking for the uni facilities category. See the full league table here
RANKING FOR UNI FACILITIES: 1
Student Silver Award Uni Facilities
RANKING FOR UNI FACILITIES: 2
Student Bronze Award Uni Facilities
RANKING FOR UNI FACILITIES: 3
Student Gold Award City Life
This is this uni's WUSCA 2018 ranking for the city life category. See the full league table here
RANKING FOR CITY LIFE: 1
Student Silver Award City Life
RANKING FOR CITY LIFE: 2
Student Bronze Award City Life
RANKING FOR CITY LIFE: 3
Student Gold Award Clubs & Societies
This is this uni's WUSCA 2018 ranking for the clubs & societies category. See the full league table here
RANKING FOR CLUBS & SOCIETIES: 1
Student Silver Award Clubs & Societies
RANKING FOR CLUBS & SOCIETIES: 2
Student Bronze Award Clubs & Societies
RANKING FOR CLUBS & SOCIETIES: 3
Sponsored by... HAVAS
Student Gold Award Student Support
This is this uni's WUSCA 2018 ranking for the student support category. See the full league table here
RANKING FOR STUDENT SUPPORT: 1
Student Silver Award Student Support
RANKING FOR STUDENT SUPPORT: 2
Student Bronze Award Student Support
RANKING FOR STUDENT SUPPORT: 3
Sponsored by... Nyumbani UK
Student Gold Award Giving Back
This is this uni's WUSCA 2018 ranking for the giving back category. See the full league table here
RANKING FOR GIVING BACK: 1
Student Silver Award Giving Back
RANKING FOR GIVING BACK: 2
Student Bronze Award Giving Back
RANKING FOR GIVING BACK: 3
Student Gold Award Postgraduate
This is this uni's WUSCA 2018 ranking for the postgraduate category. See the full league table here
RANKING FOR POSTGRADUATE: 1