3,544 Northumbria University, Newcastle reviews

• Northumbria University, Newcastle
Hayley

Northumbria University, Newcastle

English Literature and History BA (Hons)

I have loved my university experience so far even with the pandemic! His last year our lecturers and personal tutors have been there by our sides to support us and our work throughout this pandemic. They have tried their best to make the subject just as interesting and I find it easier using the pre recorded lectures as it means I can catch up and pause it when I need to! I think the pandemic had affected everyone's social life, but the university have still organised events for students to take part in online and socialise with other students that way. This could be online quizzes, readathons, modpods etc.

Jess

Northumbria University, Newcastle

Interior Design BA (Hons)

There isn’t really much to say about my first year overall. It wasn’t what I expected from university and I feel that with any art course what your really putting money towards is the facilities, not that the teachers aren’t great, but it felt like I already knew a lot of they were teaching me. Mainly I felt like I was being directed, directed to look at history, directed to read that book. Without the experience of university and its life style of being a student, meeting people and engaging with them. My course could essentially be self taught and university is just a platform to possibly be introduce into the industry. That’s just how I feel right now though and its constantly changing, one day uni seems like the right step and others it seems like a life I don’t know if I want. It’s very confusing.

Isabelle

Law/MLaw LLB (Hons)

Overall, my university has been quite good this year, considering there was an instant switch with the pandemic. With online teaching no matter how hard it has been, tutors were always there to help and provide assistance with work. Even with the pandemic the facilities that are still open have helped so much with exam stress.

Northumbria University, Newcastle

Fashion Design and Marketing BA (Hons)

It’s been okay. A lot of unnecessary stress and anxieties have been a constant trend. I think they need to remember that not everyone is perfect and that they shouldn’t use that against students.

Northumbria University, Newcastle

Geography and Environmental Sciences Foundation Year BSc (Hons)

My overall experience here has been amazing! I was extremely lucky with my flat mates and have surprisingly managed to meet more people than I thought through being on my course online and through being out in the city ! I love Newcastle and it’s helped me boost my confidence and become more independent and sociable. It’s been very fun on the living side of it and the foundation course has also been extremely good as it’s a good booster start for my course next year and I feel like I have more of understanding about what I will be doing and will help me and I’m excited that I will finally be able to join some society’s. I do wish that we had been given some discounts as we weren’t able to access the university for the majority of the year and we were learning online for most of it too and occasionally it was difficult completing work when we couldn’t have face to face help and not being able to meet our course mates.

Elizabeth

MSc Psychology

Very poor experience for distance learning. I would not recommend for mature students who need support to get back into learning. Very superficial support and patronising tutors who are too busy to help. Interactive presentations are no better than poorly presented powerpoints with plenty of errors being pointed out weekly. The course is not worth the money. I came from the open university to Northumbria because I was promised weekly tutorials which in the beginning gave me the motivation and also helped me with concepts etc. The tutorials were stopped with no discussion or notification after the enrollment had passed. My grades were in the distinction range when the tutorials were on and have dropped drastically to a pass over the last unsupported modules. A big disappointment for me. A lot of money spent for very little in return.

Liz

MSc Psychology

I'm dreadfully disappointed in Northumbria. I feel as though I've been subjected to a 'bait and switch', with promised online webinars being discontinued and lecturers who seem to not want to have to deal with distance learners. Students are patronised at best and our complaints and suggestions are ignored. My mental health has definitely been affected as I feel I've been totally left to my own devices and am getting no value whatsoever for the amount of money I am paying per module.

Ahja

Northumbria University, Newcastle

History and Politics BA (Hons)

The university has provided adequate recourses and has many society's which prevent it from being completly boring. The lectures are also very interesting and are all recorded

Paige

Surveying (Building Surveying) MSc

I have enjoyed the way the course is structured and how easy content is to access online. As a distance learning student I understand what’s expected of me and I know I can contact module tutors and my student support advisor if I need extra guidance

Nahima

Northumbria University, Newcastle

Foundation year in Law LLB (Hons)

My time at Northumbria hasn’t been the greatest, I think it is because of the pandemic. There’s been a few instances of problems with some lecturers, which me and other peers viewed as being unprofessional. However the only thing that I like is the ask4help department, this department is very helpful with any student issues. Other than that the learning isn’t great as i thought it would be.