Birmingham City University | Student Reviews

1,789 Birmingham City University reviews

• Birmingham City University
James

Education - MA

I have thoroughly enjoyed my MA. The staff have been supportive and I have learned a lot from the different modules. Social opportunities on the course have been ample given the issues with COVID. Would be nice to have had more sporting opportunities at the university although this hasn't been a major issue.

Ben

Birmingham City University

Music Technology BSc (Hons)

Amazing, I love going to this uni, so much support and have enjoyed every second. The facilities are insane and it has given me the skills for any job I would like.

Faraa

Birmingham City University

Sport and Exercise Science with Foundation Year BSc (Hons)

There have been many ups and downs during my time at university but Birmingham City has been very accommodating and helpful. The lecturers are always there to help and advise you with anything that you need.

Natalia

Birmingham City University

Very good. Great amount of study space and lecturers are keen to help you get the best grades possible. You can tell they genuinely want you to do well. Difficult when it moved online but I am used to it now .

Photography BA (Hons)

Overall, Birmingham City University is supportive and well organised to help me through my study successfully. They offer alot of support and helpful staff who specialise in different areas to make me feel safe, happy and welcome. I am happy to complete my course with them and during this time of a global pandemic I feel I have received adequate support, both mentally and financially to complete my course as best as I possibly can from the safety of my home.

Jasraj

Birmingham City University

Landscape Architecture BA (Hons)

My overall experience of university is neutral as the role of being a university student means that I will be confronted by difficult challenges involving time management and planning with my modules having deadlines. It is viral that I meet these deadlines although that comes a huge amount of pressure on me and I try my best in every module and give it my 100% effort to fill satisfied with the level of detail and thought I give to it.

Laura

Birmingham City University

Diagnostic Radiography BSc (Hons)

My experience definitely has not been value for money. We have had to deal with fully online learning for many months and I have found it very difficult to stay focused. We have had several assignments in the same module where the assignment briefs were not clear and any tutorials I attended only confused myself and my peers more. The lecturer was contradicting every statement previously said and was asking for too much in a very limiting word count which resulted in the cohort getting unusually low marks as a whole compared to last year. Also, any negative feedback given or concerns that were raised regarding the course, marking or other issues by students were largely dismissed or not actioned properly.

Sharai

Forensic Psychology MSc

Despite the negative impacts of the pandemic and having to adapt to online learning, in my opinion, my university has done its best to conform and support its students the best it can whilst also having to adapt to the current circumstances. I find that I am able to manage my studies okay, and find comfort that there will be academic support available if needed.

Birmingham City University

Film and Screenwriting BA (Hons)

I can say with 1000000% certainty that this year has been one of the worst years of my life. I have honestly never, ever felt as hopeless and depressed as I do at this university. There is absolutely zero support and hardly any substance to my course. I cannot tell you a single thing I have learnt this year. I am on a screenwriting course, and full disclosure, it is a deviation to what I intend to go into, but we have written one script this year, with no hope of covering them again anytime soon. It's honestly just English Literature but with films instead, it feels like they just ever so slightly altered the syllabus for the film studies course or something just so they could push their 'new and innovative' screenwriting course. I feel completely alone and stranded at this uni and I seriously almost completely gave up on the dream career I have yearned for forever because of the way I have felt on this course. Never before have I come so close to just throwing in the towel and subjecting myself to a mediocre life of miserable minimum wage fast food jobs. BCU seriously makes me feel that lost, desperate, and empty. Please, for the love of all that is good, for the sake of your aspirations, go somewhere else. This is not the place that will help you reach your life goal. Don't waste your time and money like I have.

chris

Birmingham City University

Mechanical Engineering BEng (Hons)

I wish I had chosen a different university. Nearly this entire experience has been negative. There's zero consistency across modules, lecturers, or courses. Senior Mechanical lecturers should not be in multiple positions within the university because it leads to poor quality lectures.