University of York

• University of York
JH
Jenny Halpin

History of Art BA (Hons)

I love York as a city and Being right near the city is amazing. York is small enough that getting from campus to the city centre is very easy. The history of art department at the university of York is fantastic. The faculty are all interesting people that want to share their passion and knowledge with you and help you succeed. They will put in the time to work with you if you are struggling. They have created an environment where one is passionate about learning more at 9am rather than dreading getting out of bed. What could be improved is the library facilities available for the department. We pay the same fees and yet there are 60 students trying to get a hold of the single copy of a book we are all required to read. This was made even worse during the pandemic because only 40% of our reading material was digitally available. I had to spend my own money to have access books that are required for my degree but I could not get a hold of because the university doesn’t believe my degree is a priority. After speaking to people from other facilities like the sciences I see that my tuition fees are going to them completely rather than to support what I am actually studying. This is an issue talked about with every art history student over the years and even something the faculty complains about. During lectures they would constantly ask us to put in requests for more copies of books we needed because these are complaints they get every year.

CH
Charlotte Holmes

English BA (Hons)

Great uni

JJ
Jane Jones

Business and Management BA (Hons)

Outstanding support from the uni regarding mental health career etc. Fantastic facilities in sports, the library has extended opening hours in exam season, several shops on campus, many workspaces outside etc. Pretty location with fun student life, easily can travel to Leeds for £5.00. The campus has relaxed fun vibes, a very enjoyable place to study.

NT
Nguyen Tran

MSc Computer Science Online

As I did this remotely, I cannot comment on the facilities or support in person, but I can comment on the enrolment process. It did take a while for the enrolment team to get back to me with an update on my enrolment status. There was no good communication to keep me up-to-date with how it was going. I only found out that I was enrolled close to the date to start the course. If you do sign up for this, be prepared for weeks of silence before finding out if you're got a place or not.

5 people found this helpful

Luca
First gen student

The environment is incredible. As a campus university, it provides incredible scenery, lakes by your door, and a nice central hub for learning, so everything is in one place. They are just about to open a new building dedicated to industry, being an intersectional research location, with social sciences, tech, and sustainable development all being clear aims of the department. It has spaces it will open up to national companies and governmental departments that will allow development of AI in a space that is aiming to be carbon neutral and robot friendly. This interdisciplinary element of the building stretches beyond throughout the university, with many optional course modules being options between two departments, not only allowing interdisciplinary learning, but also interdisciplinary interaction, with students from both groups learning from each other as well as the professors. The university also offers many study areas, from more relaxed to more serious. However, I believe there are two things that the university could improve. Firstly, I believe they could utilise the different campuses more. For those on campus East, I’ve found there’s often a reason to go to Campus West, from the more extensive library, larger number of societies etc, but Campus East has little to ‘go for’ other than being the place where the rich kids live. It’s a beautiful campus, and the lake there is lovely, but there needs to be a few more aspects that make it nicer to go to. Perhaps an on campus cafe type venue in the Piazza, with fresher and friendlier alternatives than the expensive and long packaged Ron Cooke options. This could also be solved with a library on campus East, perhaps with a selection of more specific books or a focus? Secondly, utilise the facilities they already have better. Offer a few more events? Or even simply upgrade the room booking system. Options to be aware, sort through rooms that have specific requirements/options or room capacities. I believe these aspects would go a long way to improving the university overall. But in general, the campus, facilities, environment etc are excellent. Just splitting them up a bit more for variety and making them more easily accessible and increasing awareness for them would help

MO
Mimi Oneill

MA Music (Music Psychology Pathway)

The lecturers, the department, the facilities and the subject

Kate

Mathematics MMath (Hons)

Faculty and staff are always supporting and helpful

Freya

Film and Television Production BSc (Hons)

I love the campus and the uni. The student life is great. The clubs are pretty decent and the people are great. I love the independence this experience has given me and going out and having the freedom to do whatever I want has been so good

CB
Charlotte Bell

English/History (Equal) BA (Hons)

its a really friendly, safe campus with some beautiful views (and some less beautiful ones) and its situated in one of the most beautiful cities in the UK. The terms are quite short and there is good student support, a good range of societies. The campus could potentially have more of a lively nightlife , and they definitely could improve support for living off campus in second and third year.

MR
Maya Reilly

English BA (Hons)

The teaching I have had from my course has, by and large, been very supportive. However, reaching out for help is often delayed and slow. Moreover, despite the enthusiasm of teaching, there is often a dependence in seminars for students which eliminates much teaching beyond just student discussion.