Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts

7 Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts reviews

• Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts

Music BA (Hons)

As a past music student here I feel LIPA has failed to provide sufficient education for my money's worth, and continues to not do so from what I hear from current students. If you're seeking to do music at university, I strongly suggest you reconsider coming to LIPA.

ME
Matt Ellis

Sound Technology BA (Hons)

The facilities are absolutely incredible. They have amazing recording studios and a really great live venue. The student support team are always available to talk. The events at the LIPA bar are always slot of fun The one negative i have however is the lack of a student union.

RC
Ryan Chan

Music BA (Hons)

It’s an incredible place to study - with amazing connections and history. Feel very lucky to study here. The course is well led to identifying your career goals and ambitions and trying to work within that field. Some of the teaching staff are a bit up themselves at time and can give a little bitter feeling towards music,

JM
Joe Morgan

Sound Technology BA (Hons)

I do not understand why LIPA doesn't ever come up on the list of best places to study Sound Engineering/Music Tech/Sound Tech. It is honestly the best place in the country (bar Tonnmeister in Surrey, though that is an entirely different thing: more science) to study it. At LIPA, certainly on the Sound Tech course, you get the impression that the lecturers really care about you as students. I have emailed most lecturers at ridiculous times of the day and night and I have always received replies, even at weekends/in the evenings. They frequently focus on how to get you into employment: it's definitely the most vocational sound tech style course. I looked everywhere to do a course like this, and LIPA's problem is that they trade on word of mouth. Something needs to be done to get more students to look here because it should be ranking as the best place to do this sort of course in the country. It is truly excellent. The teaching, the facilities and the subjects are all brilliant. Unfortunately it suffers from the reputation of other courses at the uni but don't read rankings about the music courses etc. Sound tech is a totally different thing. You want to feel part of a community of creatives, working with the best people in your field? Choose LIPA for Sound Tech. It is brilliant and you won't find this quality of teaching on this course anywhere else.

SL
Sophie Lines
First gen student

Applied Theatre and Community Drama BA (Hons)

Having a student union to give us a louder voice would be great but as a student body, we are generally heard by staff who accommodate for us.

Music BA (Hons)

I'm a BA music graduate at LIPA, and I feel it's been an enormous let-down. You will spend extremely little of your time being educated in music (in stark contrast to the other courses here where you will spend your time honing your craft literally by doing it as much as possible) and what lectures you do have will be extremely non-specific lessons regarding the business (where you talk about nebulous ways to instill "value" in projects that always disclude making any money?!) or context lessons, which is essentially the course's way of passing itself of as academic. If you're thinking of applying for a music course, please seek somewhere else.

Ruby

Theatre and Performance Technology BA (Hons)

For my course, for first year we are supposed to have a wide range of learning experiences with everything our course involves, second year we only study two subjects we have learnt, third year we should have picked one out of the two from second year to finish overall. I am currently in second year and picked my two subjects at the end of last year. I love what I’m currently doing but I can’t help but feel like it was very easy for me to pick these two since I was barely taught anything for all the other subjects. When practising Stage Management on shows, LIPA sometimes brings in External Directors whom are lovely to the cast members and the tutors at LIPA, but tend to be nasty to me and mean also to all the other crew members on shows. It is very ridiculous when I remember that I am paying to be here and they are being PAYED to be here. I mentioned earlier that I think there should be more tutors on more course than there currently is, this is because these teachers are being payed by me and the other students to teach us, but most of the time it is difficult to find them, they rarely reply to urgent emails, only check on us if they think they need to, and hardly ever teach us anything. On the positive, I do get along with my tutors, it is nice to talk to them when I actually get the chance to, and I really love what I’m doing so I wouldn’t go to any other University.