184,509 university reviews

Maisie Brown
First gen student

Reviewed: 25 Apr 22

Leeds Beckett University

Business Studies BA (Hons)

Covid made it hard for everyone, however the university provided as much help as possible to the students including me giving people another chance to resit if needed. This helped me a lot and I hopefully am now going into my third and final year in September!

Reviewed: 25 Apr 22

University of Kent

Computer Science - MSc

Some of the staff and PhD students are really arrogant - I would of left - it wasn't worth the time.

TG
T G

University of Glasgow

English Literature/Philosophy MA (Hons)

Really awful University. The course is still online even though coronavirus restrictions have been lifted. Feedback on essays is not helpful, once received a one-word comment on a 1500-word essay. They don't care about you as a student, just want your money. Definitely avoid

1 people found this helpful

AK
Arbaz Khan

Aston University, Birmingham

Economics and Politics BSc (Hons)

It is located in the heart of the city with easy access to many facilities. It's diverse multi-cultural environment ensures that people from all walks of life are made to feel welcome.

TA
Talhah Ali

Aston University, Birmingham

Accounting and Finance BSc (Hons)

The environment at Aston is very unique as you are surrounded by greeny as well as shops, restaurant and other facilities. The university experience is different compared to before lockdown as I have lectures online and mostly do work at home. Therefore I would improve the experience by spending more time at the university and joining clubs and societies.

GM
Gaurav Mazumdar

Coventry University London

Global Business MBA

I loved almost everything here, the only issue I had was the blended learning. If only covid didn’t exist, this wouldn’t have been much of a problem. Other than that, I had a great time

Alice

The University of Law

MA Law (Conversion)

As a one-year postgraduate student at the university, there are plenty of things that could be improved. The actual teaching is fairly good - it's obvious that a lot of reading, revision and work will be expected, but generally speaking, lecturers are engaging, friendly and the workshops are more like group challenges, rather than the bog-standard lectures most universities offer. I would perhaps like to see more of a pre-workshop lecture take place, as sometimes the prep work can be incredibly overwhelming, and it really makes a difference when a lecturer takes 45 minutes or so, just to go over the weeks tasks and outcomes for the unit. The administration on the other hand, are absolutely shocking. I requested to change course pathway, and by the time they got round to emailing me back about it, it had fallen over the liability fee date. I ended up paying £200 more, for a course that I was moving to in order to save money in the first place. Emails go unnoticed for weeks at a time, constantly chasing up where my course change is up to. I'm weeks away from exams, and still no confirmation to suggest that my transfer has been successful. This is despite having completely paid off the course fees + the extra that they wanted, but failed to explain clearly to me what they were for. The exam admin system is pretty poor, too. We were weeks late in receiving our mock exam results back, for no good reason (our lecturers ended up having to take time out of the lesson to individually provide us with the grade and feedback, so we weren't waiting even longer). At the start of the course last year, we were told we'd be given the chance to work on some volunteering projects in several different legal areas, such as the phone advice clinic and school consent projects. We signed up for this, and heard absolutely nothing about it since. If you want to do the SQE pathway with the MA, they advise that they can offer 4 weeks QWE towards qualifying. What they don't tell you is it's unpaid, and full time. Great if you're a student with family to support you, but for those like myself who work alongside studying, it really pushes the narrative that only certain students take precedent for opportunities like those. The email I got when I asked why this was, was because ''it's unpaid, because you don't need to pay to do it''.... you don't need to pay to start any job, though? What sort of reason is that? The facilities are decent. My campus in particularly is relatively small, but being in the city centre, it's really convenient and the internal library is open until late and on weekends, which is a huge help. I don't really know much about the SU, other than the occasional email I receive about it. It doesn't seem as much of a big deal at the university compared to larger, one-campus uni's. Overall, I just feel the university is lacking in admin support in order to make things more sufficient for students. The fact I personally, and everyone else in my class, are paying at least £12,000 to study there is not really acceptable when we're left waiting for responses to enquires, exam results, as well as our actual exam coursework instructions being released late. Probably wouldn't recommend, unless perhaps you were part-time and didn't need to spend so much time there each week.

4 people found this helpful

JR
Jodie Rhoden

Leeds Beckett University

Filmmaking BA (Hons)

Not been impressed with my first year at this university. So much so that I will not be continuing on with this course into second year. Though the facilities are good it doesnt outweigh the cons of the course overall. It is unorganised, uninteresting and has overall been a very poor experience. The timetable changes every week, and lessons can be cancelled on the day, there has been poor demonstration with the film equipment meaning students are unconfident when they are told to go out and make a documentary. I feel as if the first year at Leeds Beckett has not taught me anything that I didn't already know coming out of A-Levels. Watching BBC bitesize videos in one of the few lectures we have is not university standard in my eyes. The work set is basic, to be sent out for over an hour to record people showing us "What they have in their bags" just feels very inappropriate to me. And I feel like certain lecturers can feel very patronising. I know myself and a number of other students have felt not respected at times with the way we can be spoken to. I do want to say that some of the lecturers are lovely and clearly very passionate about what they do and often still work in the industry, but if you fall unlucky to not be taught by one of these it can very much fall to your detriment. However, due to some still working outside of the university it can mean that they can be unavailable when you need help with set work. Overall, I believe this course needs a lot of work. I am very disappointed and upset that I will have to restart my first year of university elsewhere because of the low standard.

1 people found this helpful

NT
Nguyen Tran

University of York

MSc Computer Science Online

As I did this remotely, I cannot comment on the facilities or support in person, but I can comment on the enrolment process. It did take a while for the enrolment team to get back to me with an update on my enrolment status. There was no good communication to keep me up-to-date with how it was going. I only found out that I was enrolled close to the date to start the course. If you do sign up for this, be prepared for weeks of silence before finding out if you're got a place or not.

5 people found this helpful

JB
Jamal Bizanjo

Arden University

LLB (Hons) Law

Lecturers are quite responsive and their teaching is helpful