723 York St John University reviews

• York St John University

York St John University

I studied for 4 years at York St. John, having studied an undergraduate and postgraduate here. I student my postgraduate degree here because I loved my undergraduate and wanted to continue my education with lecturers I knew, with amazing facilities and in a city I loved. I wouldn't change anything about my time here!

There is a dedicated careers team with an open walk in office in our main reception building. They offer advice and send regular emails about local jobs and graduate roles at the University if you sign up for it. The sports department have great links with local businesses for work experience and local professional teams for experience, research and prospects of paid opportunities. I managed to work in academy football, semi-professional rugby league and amateur futsal. The experience I have gained with these teams has allowed me to grow as a researcher and a professional in different environments and roles.

My class sizes were small and this suited me fine. The small sizes allowed lectures to know you on a more personal level and could be easily contacted at regular intervals. I really enjoyed the practical approach to teaching and the use of state of the art equipment to prepare us for the world of work. The academics on my course emphasised the production of valuable research, aiming to publish our final research thesis through a peer reviewed journal and even paid for attendance to research conferences.

I think our Students Union is a beautiful building with regular events to keep students engaged and entertained. There is certainly something for everyone, with quiz nights to karaoke. The three appointed presidents of the Students Union work hard to help all students. They run campaigns and open sessions regularly to improve student satisfaction and safety. There is a heavy emphasis on sports participation within the Students Union, with a growing interest in societies. While societies had been given less help in past years there was a noticeable push to support societies recently. As a committee member for a sports team, I found the Students Union to be accommodating of simple requests but more difficult when the request was not something they had encountered before. This required additional explaining from the committee to gain the Students Unions approval.

The universities facilities are brilliant!! As a sport student, and having participated in sport, I had access to our wonderful Haxby Road site which had multiple all-weather pitches, grass pitches indoor facilities and a strength and conditioning suite. Additionally, on our main campus there were biomechanics and physiology labs. Having access to these facilities meant that I was taught in industry accredited labs and state of the art facilities that mimicked real-life situations. Having access to lots of different equipment allowed me to research multiple different areas and learn to use equipment that is required within the professional world. The University Library spanned three floors, with a mixture of group work space and quiet areas. This gave me options that suited my needs and desired study methods. There is an onsite gym that is small but cheap and effective.

York is an outstanding city! I absolutely loved my time in York. There is always something to do when you go into town. A mixture of bars, museums, shops, and other attractions will keep you busy all year round. The city itself is beautiful, the minster is stunning and walking the city walls in the summer was one of my favourite things to do. There are lots of festivals that go on in the city centre throughout the year; my favourite are the food festival and the Christmas market.

There are a large variety of sports and societies, especially considering the small size of the university. I have seen multiple new sports and societies be founded in my time at York St. John, which shows it is ever growing. The sports teams have a mixture of competitive and recreational focuses, with societies also adding a non-competitive element. Sports and societies are encouraged to complete charity and volunteering events during the academic year. This keeps the university busy with regular events that raise money and increase engagement between sports. charity events were always a great social event that helped me meet lots of different people at university. The sports and societies also hold loads of fancy dress events all year round. Getting dressed up and going out was a definite highlight of my university life.

The academic support is brilliant. I always found my academics to be easily contactable and ready to help. There is also an online booking system where you can schedule meetings with academics when you want to talk. Personal support was definitely well ran at York St. John. There is financial, academic, mental health and careers support available from the reception area. They run regular drop-in sessions most days of the week and hold additional events throughout the year. I accessed several of these and found the support staff to be kind and helpful.

Adam

York St John University

Politics and History BA (Hons)

Have done the best possible given the circumstances in some cases but still cant stick to their own deadlines when it comes to providing information, also communication with the SU needs to improve.

Amber

York St John University

Drama: Education & Community BA (Hons)

Before Covid-19 the University and course was brilliant, however it became a bit more difficult afterwards. This was due to the fact that drama is a practical degree and we had to change a lot of our assessments to virtual or written assessments. The staff have been very supportive throughout, however, and I have still very much enjoyed my time here. The facilities at the University are great- the library is brilliant and we still had access to it and the only library during the lockdowns. All of the staff throughout the Uni are very supportive and helpful. On my course, we have had a lot of workshops with different artists and companies and these have still continued throughout the virtual learning.

Isabella

York St John University

Media Production BA (Hons)

Unfortunately, the pandemic has got in the way of many of the student lifestyle. However, the university has made a conscious effort to provide remote opportunities and social events which has been a nice touch

MBA with Professional Experience

There is a good support and care from the Academic members to engage students online. I can’t wait to study on campus. Although my overall learning experience is positive but I am not very much happy why the students have to pay the full international fees if we are studying online.

Jade

York St John University

I've had a strong start. I'm finding my course very engaging and I'm really enjoying picking up some new content and getting to know some staff and fellow students. My accommodation experiences have been a bit off putting but I cannot fault the university for the actual course. Staff have been friendly and helpful and I'm really engaging with the content. I feel as though there is a lot to take in at first but there is guidance to help adjust to the pace of things. York, as a city, is very beautiful and rich in history and culture. It is very student friendly and has a lot to do (as well as lots of shops, restaurants and bars).

bongo

York St John University

Religion, Philosophy and Ethics BA (Hons)

Lecturers seem to care but cant really do anything to help as they dont really have any power. not much support, you have to do everything yourself and the well being team are good but hard to get through to. You're just a number in this uni. Everything is good until you slip up and nobody can help you and you have no clue on where to start.

Joanne

York St John University

Film and Television Production BA (Hons)

I did my first year at another uni, Solihull College & University Centre, in Birmingham. I couldn't rate that place highly enough. I'm in the last semester of my second year at York St John currently, and honestly I'm finding it really hard to continue coming here right now. I'm finishing my degree no matter what happens, but I just really feel like this university, like so many other big universities these days, is a business. I pay them and they don't care what happens to me as long as the fees and loans are paid to them. I'm just another number. I wish that was different. One thing I will say is that they do offer good trips and stuff.

Marina

Criminology BA (Hons)

Robert

York St John University

Accounting and Finance BA (Hons)