1,470 University of York reviews

• University of York

University of York

Nursing (Mental Health) BSc (Hons)

It's a great university but I feel they lack in supporting students and are too quick to push people of the course. This needs to be improved upon as there have been a lot of suicides and mental health services involvement with the student population in York.

Our uni held a careers fair for nursing students, I felt at a disadvantage as there wasn't may mental health services involved.

The lecturers all have a passion about mental health and have all worked in different areas which is great for us to get all that knowledge.

As a student nurse we're forgotten about regarding the students union, events usually tend to be around times that we're on placement so therefore cannot attend. I would like them to take us into consideration and ensure we're involved in student life.

Accommodation
What do you think about the safety, condition, location and cost of your accommodation?

My accommodation is a 4 bedroom house which I share with other student nurses. The house is cold and does not seem to retain heat, it also has a lot of cracks on the walls. The kitchen does not have a ventilation system and therefore gets quite steamy. Other than that the landlord is quite good when there is a problem.

There is times when you cannot access the library for the sheer numbers of people using it. Also I think the sport facilities are great but too expensive.

York is a great city and I would recommend it to anyone.

There's a bar in York for every day of the year to try and there's something happening every night of the week.

It depends who you get as a tutor some put in a lot of effort when others don't come across as they care. I've been lucky with mine as I've built good relationships with them. There needs to be more invested in counselling services though, nursing is very demanding as a course and we need additional emotional and wellbeing support.

Megan

Chemistry BSc (Hons)

Personal life has been pretty good because I like my flatmates but online learning has been extremely boring and difficult with not enough communication. I’m sure it would be better in person though.

MSc Corporate Sustainability and Environmental Management

I think given the circumstances, York has done an excellent job at making us feel included and as valued a student as anyone else despite not being on campus. I have learned more this year than I did in my three years at my previous university, due to the excellent teaching and engagement

Isabella

University of York

Although there are still good resources and study spaces, overall the online aspect this year has not been value for money, as online seminars have not taught us the content as well, and there has been little individual support.

Eleanor

Music BA (Hons)

Despite Covid, my lecturers have tried their best. My house and I have managed to make the best of a bad situation, and have overall enjoyed our university experience so far.

Chiara

University of York

English/Philosophy (Equal) BA (Hons)

I didn’t receive the health support I was expecting to have. The University did almost nothing to support international students during this period. I enjoyed my course and the modules I did, but at the same time, doing everything over zoom was quite demanding.

Anjie

University of York

Psychology in Education BSc (Hons)

Because of the pandemic it’s not be even great but aside from just general difficulties with WiFi and things the content was still good. Some lecturers were obviously very lazy but it was all dealt with well

Kirsten

University of York

Politics with International Relations BA (Hons)

While overall I enjoyed York, this year has honestly been terrible. They're not at fault for the pandemic and lockdown rules, but I'm not happy with the refusal of a safety to students in their fourth year, or with the fact that graduation has been cancelled despite all restrictions being due to end in June; it makes absolutely no sense. Not being able to go to lectures in person or use university buildings, as well as the opportunities to make new friends being severely restricted, mean that this year has not been the same at all and was absolutely not worth the money. We shouldn't have been told to go back to university and have been misled by the government all year.

Anastazia

Psychology integrated Masters MSci

I have enjoyed that online learning has allowed me to do university work in my own time but it is sometimes hard to remember what is due when as I cannot communicate with other students on my course in lectures/seminars

Kaitlyn

University of York

Mathematics (4 years) MMath (Hons)

Everyone at York is so supportive and friendly. There are so many different ways to get involved and loads of information provided on career opportunities. I couldn’t imagine myself anywhere else.