1,439 University of Warwick reviews

• University of Warwick

University of Warwick

It has been great. I have had the opportunity to meet people from a range of cultures and backgrounds. I have had the chance to be part of many wonderful societies like RAG, HistSoc and LawSoc and I have also found my course to be interesting. I think that uni has its ups and downs and I'm not saying everything will be perfect but on the whole I've had a great time and I'm still learning from it.

Several of the societies such as law, finance and history make an active effort to run talks on different fields you can go into and give you advice on getting into that career. Several skills you gain through being part of a society are transferable in employment such as teamwork and organisation. The careers department are also very active running talks, workshops and one on one sessions. As well as the general careers adviser, each department has its own career adviser dedicated to your degree, e.g. a history careers adviser.

The best thing about my lecturers is the range of lecturers I have. With history at Warwick, every single lecture has someone who is a specialist in the topic they're lecturing on. It's nice not to have the same lecturer all the time and it keeps the course interesting. I also like the wide range of optional modules that history has, it's also easy to do an outside option from another discipline if you see one you're interested in.

The Student Union is really active. They run so many events ranging from socials like the famous weekly POP! all the way to advice on student housing. At Warwick, there are over 250 societies so there's a wide range of activities to choose from. You can also start your own society if you feel as though there isn't anything you're interested in.

Accommodation
What do you think about the safety, condition, location and cost of your accommodation?

In my 1st year, I lived in halls. I was in Westwood and my room was spacious and had a sink. My flat was huge, there was 21 of us and there was a common room which meant we could socialise with other people too. Sharing showers and toilets wasn't an issue at all, not once did I have to wait and they were cleaned regularly. This year, I'm living in Leamington, we went through private housing and our landlord has been wonderful, any problem we've had he has been more than happy to fix.

There is a large amount of working space, the library itself is 5 floors. There is also the Rootes learning grid and university house, both of which are nice places to do some work. As a history student, I also find the modern records centre particularly useful, Warwick's very own archive! There's plenty of sports facilities too from the gym in the sports centre to courts if you want to play a game of badminton or tennis.

From what I read about Warwick's city life before coming here, I can say I've been pleasantly surprised. In first year, although it was a 10 minute bus drive from the nearest city Coventry, this wasn't really an issue as anything we needed was in reach. Fancied a coffee? We could go to the costa on campus or curiositea. Fancied a meal? We could go to one of the on campus restaurants like bar fusion. It's nothing like the city life of London, Manchester or Birmingham but it's definitely not as bad as I was made to think it was before coming here. If we ever do get tired of the Warwick bubble, we simply venture out a bit further to Birmingham which is 20 minutes on the train.

There's a crazy amount of clubs and societies to choose from, over 250! There really is something for everyone and if you don't like anything on offer, there's the opportunity to create your own society!

Academic feedback is really good, it is often prompt and it's quite easy to see your tutor in their office hours or find one of your lecturers if there is something you don't understand or are worried about. Personal support I would say is also there, but you actually have to look for it to be able to make full use of it. If you know who to go to and who to ask for personal support then there's so much available to you

Paulomi

University of Warwick

Civil Engineering MEng (Hons)

This year I gave a very low rating because of coronavirus. I felt the level of teaching was nowhere near what it needed to be especially in a practical subject such as engineering. I felt unprepared especially after an online term 3 last year and my mental health definitely suffered at various points throughout the year. I felt that the overall experience was not indicative of the £9250 spent towards it not even including living costs.

Lucy

University of Warwick

Hispanic Studies and French BA (Hons)

Having been online, the university experience was very isolating. However, my department offered lots of support and events which I found really beneficial. Also, despite not having access to the library since I was working away from campus, there was still lots of online resources which I found very useful.

Meera

History BA (Hons)

I think in certain areas Warwick are very good - eg their careers services. But other areas they fall down on. They claim to champion well-being, but I don’t think many people (especially first years) know all the avenues available to them, and I know some people who have had terrible experiences going to these services. They also routinely fail to listen to the student body, ignoring many protests and votes. My experience this year hasn’t been great, but that’s mainly due to the pandemic and not being able to go out, which isn’t the uni’s fault.

V
Violette

Film Studies BA (Hons)

I really enjoyed my time on campus, and even being online at home. Warwick is an amazing university, the campus is lovely and the Film course is incredible. However, the university has to improve its wellbeing services and has to revise it’s policies concerning security on campus and establish a zero-tolerance policy regarding sexual harassment and assault. This concerns a lot of universities and is not being talked about enough. Being a woman, I deserve the right to feel safe on my campus. Moreover, I think the university could have offered more than a rent waiver in regards to the covid situation and the numerous opportunities we didn’t get this year.

Lauren

French Studies BA (Hons)

Overall my experience has been good. I received personal and mental health support when I needed it. My course has been well taught and I have lecturers who actually care

University of Warwick

Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE) BA (Hons)/BSc (Hons)

It was a mixed bag year, to say the least. I think the pandemic took away a lot, while adding an additional burden in terms of mental stress and inability to offload that. Had the opportunity to engage with some stimulating academic content, nonetheless, and developed a closer bond with my housemates.

Jaime

Mathematics, Operational Research, Statistics and Economics (MORSE) MMorse

Obviously, Covid has limited all kinds of possibilities but, of course, this is not the institution's fault and overall it has been a very fun experience. I would give it five stars but some departments have shown that more in person contact hours were possible and not taken by some departments, which put a strain on our learning and overall experience.

Lucy

University of Warwick

History and Politics BA (Hons)

This academic year has obviously been somewhat challenging due to the ongoing situation. However I have really enjoyed all my seminars this year, and have felt supported most of the time.

Max

University of Warwick

Cyber Security BSc (Hons)

I believe that the university is great. Great facilities great gym and a great course. However covid has been a major impact to all students whilst studying at university not just Warwick