1,016 University of the West of Scotland reviews

• University of the West of Scotland

University of the West of Scotland

Biomedical Science BSc (Hons)

University of the West of Scotland (UWS) has always been a welcoming institution that actively encourages students to better themselves both personally and academically. Multiple opportunities are made available to benefit students in various ways - whether it be casual jobs that earn some extra money without having a detrimental impact upon studies or extra classes to recap challenging topics or provide additional qualifications such as secondary language, First Aid, etc. However, due to the size of UWS (spread across four campuses), there is a clear lack of communication amongst staff and this ultimately affects students. The focus appears to be on the main campus (Paisley) and students on other campuses may feel isolated.

UWS has connections with various industries and therefore job prospects are good - dependant on the degree subject studied. However, UWS can be looked down by potential employers because it is seen as a "new" and "not as established" institution, compared to the more traditional local institutions. Therefore, competition can be high when competing for jobs as a UWS student/graduate.

Lecturers go out their way to ensure students have all the resources they require to critically reflect and analyse the information which has been lectured to them. Lecturers vary their teaching style and embrace new technology to maximise the student learning experience. The only issue that could be raised is that lecturers do not communicate with each other and therefore information and marking given to students can be contradictory.

The Students' Association for the University of the West of Scotland (SAUWS) have taken student concerns on-board and ensured that their voices are heard. They advise students on a variety of issues and if there is something they cannot deliver, they identify contacts who can resolve the matter as soon as possible. Furthermore, SAUWS deliver a variety of extra-curricular activities and have vastly improved their student representative capacity by completely revolutionising the current system in place and recruiting more students to be involved in union activities - either academic or otherwise.

Accommodation
What do you think about the safety, condition, location and cost of your accommodation?

The secure accommodation is of good quality, if a little over-priced. Most of the university accommodation is next to the campuses and provides most resources required by students (except washing machine facilities or reliable Wi-fi connections).

There are numerous computing facilities, ensuring that students can access university systems at any point in the day. The library is continually expanding its collection of printed and electronic resources. Science laboratories have recently been upgraded to incorporate new technology that is regularly maintained.

With two campuses situated in close proximity of Glasgow, there are great transport links to/from university with a variety of amenities that are student-orientated (sporting, music, comedy, arts, etc.)

There are numerous clubs and societies available to cater for every genre and whim students may have. Furthermore, students are actively encouraged to become involved or set up a club/society that may not already be established. The Students' Association for the University of the West of Scotland (SAUWS) has also become the first student union in Scotland to establish a society for Care Leavers and several club/society conveners have gone on to become sabbatical officers or NUS officers.

The university provides a variety of support for students - whether it be academic, financial, counselling, ICT, etc. and the university actively maintains contact with students to ensure that student concerns have been resolved.

Mark

University of the West of Scotland

Applied Bioscience and Zoology BSc (Hons)

It has been very good to study here and I have learned very much. As a mature student I have been welcomed by everybody. I have been having a very enjoyable experience.

Billie

University of the West of Scotland

PGDE Secondary Biology with Science (Graduates Only) Professional Graduate Diploma

The university has been incredibly unorganised this year, they often use covid as an excuse but I don't think that is acceptable as we are still there to be taught. The online lessons have been organised well and we were lucky to get into uni once a week for a lesson. However the content of the online lessons was sometimes questionable. Although staff say they are there to support you and you can email them whenever there seems to be a passive aggressive manner that comes to any criticism or student struggling. The university failed to secure placements for all pupils, which has led to some pupils being unable to complete the course in June and have to have an extended placement. Personally I have to travel 2 hours to my placement even though when applying my university said placements would be 90 minutes travel maximum. The university support systems have been great reimbursing my travel costs and with discretionary funds.

Georgina

University of the West of Scotland

Sport Coaching BSc (Hons)

I feel that I have still learned a lot, but many of the assessments have been changed from practice assessments to essays or tests. I just can’t wait to be on campus because I know it will be so much better. I can’t give a proper opinion until I see what everything is like for myself

Lianne

University of the West of Scotland

Sports Coaching and Development BA (Hons)

I have enjoyed my experience in uni and appreciated the support from lecturers and fellow classmates. It has been a great learning experience as it has helped me developed my skills as a coach and I am able to use what I have learned in the future.

Matthew

University of the West of Scotland

Sport and Exercise Science BSc (Hons)

horrific would not recommend the uni or the course would if you need to take year out and go to another university , have ruined for me what are meant to be the best ears of my life

Josef

University of the West of Scotland

Biomedical Science BSc (Hons)

Camille

Advanced Biomedical Science MSc

My university experience so far is very good. Coming from another university in France, I really appreciate it here. Like the cafeteria and the gym. Lectures are really interesting and nice.

Nicola

University of the West of Scotland

Chemistry with Education BSc (Hons)

Adam

Business BA (Hons)

Enjoying it due to independence however workload can be stressful