1,016 University of the West of Scotland reviews

• University of the West of Scotland

University of the West of Scotland

Don't go near the nursing course. They have a drug calculation software programme, for students which is supposed to be for learning (home practice) and then exams (2 x formative, where you have to get over 80%0 and then a summative exam where you have to get 100%. Normally the system "Safemedicate", gives instant results (as it automatically marks). However, this is when things go murky. My colleagues and I where given the SAME password (yes - we all knew the same password) and the Lecturer knew this, and he also knew our username (banner ID) and names. Then, again, rather strangely, on the day of the summative exam (when a student has to get 100%) - we logged in, and to much surprise, after we had submitted our answers, instead of receiving our instant results (like always happened with this same system) - the results were hidden for a week! I emailed the lecturer about this after (as my colleagues were also surprised, and had no info on this) I received no reply from the lecturer - so I chased up and then received a reply, when the lecturer stated that "after the students submit their answers, I go through and moderate" (I am thinking...what are you moderating… - it's automatically marked and usually delivers instant results to students). Then in a further revelatory email, the lecturer states that "on the day, there may be technical issues", where the results go in favour of the student". Now none of the above was required before, and we students knew nothing of this sudden change in approach. I brought my concerns via a complaint, as I was not satisfied with the answer I got and the inconsistencies from before (no "moderation" or "going through" was needed before, on this digitally and automatically marked system). I was brought to a fitness to practice meeting where the above was discussed (even though, my complaint was "Live" - they said they wouldn't discuss it - but they contradicted themselves by then covering this issue of the "mysterious hidden week delay" when the lecturer "goes through" & "moderates". I was asked if I wanted to still use a paper exam copy, I replied "yes, due to my concerns" with the anomaly (the week's delay). Then I was told, "forget it, we will mark you as unfit to practice". I then said I did want to work with the Uni. They said in that case, they would pass me (they assumed I had agreed to use Safemedicate). That weekend I resigned from the course, knowing something dodgy seemed to be occurring for all I knew. I got MSP to write to the UNI - the Uni never answered my questions (surprise surprise)..but they did say they knew of NO technical errors/issues in over 10 years of use. (really? So why is your lecturer justifying hiding results for a week, when the system does not normally need that?). I then chased up the Union Rep's report for my fitness to practice meeting - in which he confirmed in writing that in the fitness to practice meeting that the Lecturer stated that "although they don't change answers, they change the results" (!) I then called the Sofware Developer of Safemedicate - who stated to me (details recorded) that there were NO technical issues nor errors, and that there were 5000+ quality control checked already, recycled questions..checked by the CEO, BNF, NWC and experienced nurses. I also asked about if possible to have a paper copy of the exam - I was advised that yes it was in theory possible, as every student had a unique set of randomized questions. I took all of this to the SPSO Ombudsman - who did not answer ANY of these questions (cover up, as SPSO and Uni are all government publically funded). Then an admission in the very final SPSO review - the lecturer now stated (in which they never did at the beginning) that the technical error is that if a student enters a "Typo" (eg. comma instead of full stop) - they change the result. So why were we never told about this before?

please see my comments to follow

please see my comments to follow

do not use the student union for support - they biased and work hand in glove with the uni

Accommodation
What do you think about the safety, condition, location and cost of your accommodation?

to be expected

standard uni

Not a tremendous to do. Lots of traffic

mostly, none for the times we were available.

The worst you could imagine

Mark

University of the West of Scotland

Applied Bioscience and Zoology BSc (Hons)

It has been very good to study here and I have learned very much. As a mature student I have been welcomed by everybody. I have been having a very enjoyable experience.

Billie

University of the West of Scotland

PGDE Secondary Biology with Science (Graduates Only) Professional Graduate Diploma

The university has been incredibly unorganised this year, they often use covid as an excuse but I don't think that is acceptable as we are still there to be taught. The online lessons have been organised well and we were lucky to get into uni once a week for a lesson. However the content of the online lessons was sometimes questionable. Although staff say they are there to support you and you can email them whenever there seems to be a passive aggressive manner that comes to any criticism or student struggling. The university failed to secure placements for all pupils, which has led to some pupils being unable to complete the course in June and have to have an extended placement. Personally I have to travel 2 hours to my placement even though when applying my university said placements would be 90 minutes travel maximum. The university support systems have been great reimbursing my travel costs and with discretionary funds.

Georgina

University of the West of Scotland

Sport Coaching BSc (Hons)

I feel that I have still learned a lot, but many of the assessments have been changed from practice assessments to essays or tests. I just can’t wait to be on campus because I know it will be so much better. I can’t give a proper opinion until I see what everything is like for myself

Lianne

University of the West of Scotland

Sports Coaching and Development BA (Hons)

I have enjoyed my experience in uni and appreciated the support from lecturers and fellow classmates. It has been a great learning experience as it has helped me developed my skills as a coach and I am able to use what I have learned in the future.

Matthew

University of the West of Scotland

Sport and Exercise Science BSc (Hons)

horrific would not recommend the uni or the course would if you need to take year out and go to another university , have ruined for me what are meant to be the best ears of my life

Josef

University of the West of Scotland

Biomedical Science BSc (Hons)

Camille

Advanced Biomedical Science MSc

My university experience so far is very good. Coming from another university in France, I really appreciate it here. Like the cafeteria and the gym. Lectures are really interesting and nice.

Nicola

University of the West of Scotland

Chemistry with Education BSc (Hons)

Adam

Business BA (Hons)

Enjoying it due to independence however workload can be stressful