25 University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI) reviews

• University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI)
06 Jun 18

University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI)

Marine Science BSc (Hons)

First off, don’t let other reviews about UHI out you off - the Marine Science course is taught differently, organised differently, and entirely based on its own campus which means it doesn’t suffer some of the issues noted by other reviewers. SAMS is unlike anything you’ll experience at another university. The classes are small, the course hands on, and the very thing you are studying is literally on your doorstep. The teaching team is small, at the cutting edge of their field in terms of research, and have all chosen to be at a small research institute and pass on knowledge to the lucky few who study there. Opportunities for lab experience and boat trips are never far away. Picking SAMS over a bigger uni is the best choice I ever made. I’ve recently moved on to a PhD program and at every interview I had they mentioned how impressed they were with the education SAMS had given me. If you’re on the fence, do it!

History BA (Hons)

I studied at the centre for history with uhi and if you have any other choice in university take it. I would consider taking an access course in a more reputable college before accepting a place at uhi. The classes on history modules are glorified Skype calls (even before the pandemic) where the "lecturer" will spend 20 minutes lecturing before asking open questions for the students to fumble their way through to fill time. If you are expecting a traditional university experience uhi is not where you want to go. It doesn't help that the assigned readings range from the overly simplistic to incomprehensible babble which leave you understanding less about the modules themes than if you just skip them. The staff are difficult to get hold of and often do the bare minimum amount of feedback which is a slight problem when you write a dissertation. During my last year at uhi, I was only able to have 3 half an hour meetings with my dissertation "supervisor" and the feedback was so unhelpful that I might as well have asked a bowl of spaghetti as it would have been just as useful. My experience with this programme was not good and I would implore anyone wanting to study History to avoid UHI. The programme is very good at promoting itself as a forward thinking academic department in touch with modern issues. It is nothing more than meaningless virtue signalling. The lecturers don't care about its students unless they share the same academic interests and approaches of the lecturing staff. This means that if you have academic interests outside of a narrow field of historiography you will recieve no support from the department and will be treated as nothing more than a vessel for them to plant their backwards ideas into. The modules themselves although interesting at times were not well taught and it was very hard to gauge what the lecturers wanted in terms of assessments which basically meant you went in blind to every assignment hoping you wrote the magic combination of words to get a good grade. It also doesn't help that the marking scheme was so vague that a lot of the grades I got felt subjective and more determined by a lecturers personal preferences rather than a standardised criteria. Complaints or concerns are treated as personal attacks on the department which makes change impossible. It also means that toxic students are allowed to get away with nasty behaviour as the department will protect their favourites from any sort of discipline.

Jasmine

Applied Sciences HNC

I have enjoyed my time at university so far even if nearly all of it has been online, we are give lots of notes to help us understand all the different subjects.

Oliver

University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI)

Professional Golf BA (Hons)

Been very good so far highly enjoyable . Met good friends. College staff are excellent and very clear and helpful. Course itseld is well laid out and easy to follow. Loving it

Hazel

University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI)

It has been great, the modules link and expand with what you have already learned and they work together. Sustainability, as a concept and what we can do for the future is carefully examined. There is a very wide remit and the module choices offer a focus that is wide enough to understand and develop the practical application. I've enjoyed the course and the interaction.

Susanne

University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI)

Overall, my personal experience was so far (I am in 3rd year now) excellent. The only downside, for which the university is definitely not responsible, is the attitude of some individual students who are not willing to engage which sometimes can make group work a tricky task. But this is just a feature of life, common evyerwhere including workplaces. Due to the positive experience I am considering to continue with a postgrad course once graduated.

Joe

University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI)

This has been a fantastic degree to study. The content is interesting and highly relevant, and the support from staff has been excellent. I'm proud to say that I'm a student at the University of the Highlands and Islands.

Murray

Geography BSc (Hons)

If you would like to study geography you must do it at UHI, which is situated in the geographic and geologic wonderland that is the Highlands. Field trips to the Cairngorms and NW Highlands, as well as further afield to the Swiss Alps all serve to reinforce the classroom learning, while the friendly and professional staff demonstrate all the modern technological methods you can use to present what you have learned.

Ivana

Oral Health Science BSc

I graduated nearly 6 years ago and although it wasn't a typical student experience and could be lonely at times I am so glad I did it. I love my job! I do and will continue to recommend UHI to anyone thinking of a career in Dental Therapy.

Fitness, Health and Exercise HNC

Absolutely hate it!!! Cannot day enough negative things regarding my experience, the people who run UHI should seriously take a look at themselves because I get the impression they are not concerned with the responsibilities of the role they have committed to and do as little as possible to make things more convenient for themselves.