University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI)

25 University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI) reviews

• University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI)

Social Sciences BA (Hons)

Not for someone looking for the "university experience". Campus buildings are in a poor state in comparison with other universities eg; obvious leaks in the roof, some rooms are freezing cold, other are swelteringly hot. Students don't seem to care about their subjects i.e don't do the required reading, not too surprising when you consider the entry requirements. Lectures are often poorly organised. There are also a severe lack of societies and clubs to join. The student union... What union? Well below the expected standard of a University.

06 Jun 18

Marine Science BSc (Hons)

Being at SAMS was definitely the right choice for me. I never wanted a big-university experience, so SAMS was perfect. It's shaped me as a scientist and I wouldn't change anything about my experience! Whilst SAMS is small, you are given the oppurtunity to shape your degree. For example, I was given the oppurtunity to spend 6 months in Arctic Norway on an ERASMUS exchange, and subsequently wrote my Honours Dissertation on Arctic Marine Science. I am now pursuing a career in Arctic Science, so SAMS has played a major part in shaping my future.

Marine Science MPhil

A dreadful uni. I would advise anyone thinking about this uni to think teice. Areas of expertise are limited and the calibre of that expertise, poor for the most part. Supprort staff are diorganised and lack sufficient knowledge to supprt students properly. Any critiicism is met with a highly defensive approach and it seems like one big vanity project to boost the Highlands appeal to locals. In fact above undergraduate level and most post-grads are from outwith the area or in the case of science, Scotland. There is a reason why this university continues to rank so low. Stuidents are ill-supported and the clambour for funds at any cost, turns UHI into a failing marketing machine, not an academic institution, with the vanity pproject, not the student at its heart.

CS
Calum Smith

Engineering Systems HNC

Full of joy and sunshine. The best thing that has happened to me the entire time studying here is an offer to study at other universities elsewhere, somewhere more worthwhile

CM
Craig McDonald

History and Literature BA (Hons)

I'm moving to another University in Glasgow next year so I may update this review to reflect the comparison. If you are stuck in the Highlands and want to specialise in "highland" history, then the UHI is certainly an option. If you are interested in the clearances, then the highlands historian Dr Elizabeth Ritchie works at the UHI so it might be worthwhile on that fact alone. But the benefits start to fall away after this, and you start to realise that you are attending a more formulised Open University which has far more experience delivering a distance learning experience through its learning resources and online support.