Student reviews of University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI)

22 University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI) reviews

• University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI)
Ivana

Oral Health Science BSc

I graduated nearly 6 years ago and although it wasn't a typical student experience and could be lonely at times I am so glad I did it. I love my job! I do and will continue to recommend UHI to anyone thinking of a career in Dental Therapy.

rachel

University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI)

Sustainable Development BSc (Hons)

I would not attend this university. It was a very stressful experience, and I ended up leaving in the last year, despite, having got a first up till then ..... I wouldn't recommend, I would recommend trying to find takes their teaching seriously, and doesnt try to protect themselves over their students.

Fitness, Health and Exercise HNC

Absolutely hate it!!! Cannot day enough negative things regarding my experience, the people who run UHI should seriously take a look at themselves because I get the impression they are not concerned with the responsibilities of the role they have committed to and do as little as possible to make things more convenient for themselves.

Ivy
31 Jul 18

Marine Science BSc (Hons)

Loved it! Im going in to 4th year and gutted its coming to an end. Going to miss it and everybody so much!! Will be hanging around long afterwards for a natter!

EL
Eleanor Lawrie
18 Jun 18

Marine Science BSc (Hons)

I am really glad this is the university I chose. The staff are so welcoming and friendly and it doesn't take long to find your niche with the students. The scenery is fantastic and some of the nearby lochs are case studies for universities round the UK doing marine studies. With boat trips and labs no week is ever the same.

Gillian
15 Jun 18

Jewellery HNC

Lews Castle College is a brilliant place to learn Jewellery / Silversmithing skills. You are supported to develop your creative skills as well as technical skills. The NC is a well rounded course. Some of the modules we studied were: - Silversmithing - Non precious materials - CAD for jewellers - Business for jewellers - Working with Wire - Stone Setting - Decorative Finishes - Gemology - Competition Entry

Solene
09 Jun 18

Marine Science BSc (Hons)

After starting in middle of the second year, I am now finished with my last exam of my fourth year. I am sad to realise that an era is over and that most of my friends gonna be spread all around the world for master, PhD or work, but we know all where we can meet again, here at SAMS UHI. The experience has been incredible, the choice of lectures, the possibility to travel for 5 months in the Arctic, the broad panel of research topic which had permitted me to find my own trajectory in science. The experience of a life time, and I am staying here to carry my master project!

Stacey

Marine Science BSc (Hons)

First off, don’t let other reviews about UHI out you off - the Marine Science course is taught differently, organised differently, and entirely based on its own campus which means it doesn’t suffer some of the issues noted by other reviewers. SAMS is unlike anything you’ll experience at another university. The classes are small, the course hands on, and the very thing you are studying is literally on your doorstep. The teaching team is small, at the cutting edge of their field in terms of research, and have all chosen to be at a small research institute and pass on knowledge to the lucky few who study there. Opportunities for lab experience and boat trips are never far away. Picking SAMS over a bigger uni is the best choice I ever made. I’ve recently moved on to a PhD program and at every interview I had they mentioned how impressed they were with the education SAMS had given me. If you’re on the fence, do it!

groupersnapper

Marine Science BSc (Hons)

This degree allowed me sufficient module choices to tailor a degree which perfectly suited my career ambitions. I left SAMS with a wholistic knowledge of marine science, placing me in a strong position for future employment. I have been fortunate enough to have worked in the marine sector since leaving SAMS and I’m so grateful to everyone there, and at UHI overall, for helping me achieve that.

Jen

Marine Science BSc (Hons)

The marine science course really provided me a lot in terms of being prepared to work in this field, and I enjoyed the majority of it! Not for people who don't like the outdoorsy/small town life, but if you can make the most and get involved with some of the opportunities available you'll find it a great experience.