1,531 University of Sunderland reviews

• University of Sunderland

University of Sunderland

University has been an amazing time for me, the social aspects, along with the teaching standards and support, there are very few faults i can pick with the university (Except for the Students Union and Vice Chancellors ridiculous salary)

The university offers good transferable skills by incorporating its "Standard Academic teaching" into real life scenarios, and linking many studies into the social landscape. In regards to the careers department, they have helped me to find a job i am comfortable in; which i am still in, progressively moving up the management scale. After being there for a year and a half, I am currently training to the deputy manager of a successful events venue.

What i like most about my course, is how there is a much more personal aspect in the teaching style, mimicking that of a college or sixth form class room, compared to the traditional style of 100+ students crammed into a lecture theater, with the lecturer simply blurting out information to the room. The lecturers offer much more assistance when struggling, consistently checking up on us, to ensure we are understanding the work, as supporting our well-being and ability for independent learning outside of university. The only aspect for me that i least like about the way my course is taught, is lack of timetable contact time with lecturers. Whilst there are office hours available throughout the week, i personally feel 6 hours of contact a week, is not a sustainable amount of time for lectueres to support us the way they do so.

Over my 3 and a half years at the university, the students union has severely gone down hill. Slipping standards of active engagement, too much bureaucracy within the union, specifically within the senior management team of staff (Not elected officers). Whilst many of its faults can be linked to decreased funding, specifically from the university (Its main source of income), to simply blame funding alone is a cheap excuse. The union does no longer understand the reality of students and their lives. Poor policy decisions from the very top, has seen a split within the usage of the SU. Whilst it may seem "Silly" to mention, the fact the union will no longer promote drinking or arrange its freshers week around various drinking activities, is idiotic and poorly promoted. The reality is students drink a lot, not all but a significant amount. The SU now is focusing specifically on the international student community more than any other demographic. I don't want this to seem this is me attacking the international community, or trying to spark a conflict between other communities, but in reality the SU has already done so, by focusing a majority of its attention away from many student demographics and communities. Whilst many other SU's income is from student bars, allowing them to self fund themselves much more, they continue to refuse, blocking a significant source of income (See Newcastle Universities SU for reference). The final point to be made, is how the SU will not actively challenge the university itself or hold regular campaigns around large / international issues, at the fear it will offend shareholders at the university (Who could cut their funding more, should they challenge them) This defeats a soul purpose of a student union, which is meant to represent students, when in fact it is simply another extension of the university itself.

Fairly good, however it would be nice to have more social areas that are not cafes or the library.

Support at the university has always been top of its game. Whilst sometimes lecturers can take a while to respond to some questions, the pastoral support has next to no faults i can think off.

Marketing MA

Everything has been great. The university had done their best under the circumstances. I have learnt a lot this year and I have enjoyed it very much. I believe it was value for money as none of what has happened with the virus has been the uni's fault. They have accommodated pretty fast, offering support and guidance.

Theodora

University of Sunderland

Clinical Psychology BSc (Hons)

My overall experience in this university has been very pleasant. Along with developing my academic abilities I have also developed my social abilities, which I believe to be an essential part of what a university has to offer. I learned a lot about communication and working in a group on a more professional level. Moreover, the facilities of the university continuously give students the chance to expand their academic experiences with very favorable conditions.

Zakaria

University of Sunderland

Business and Management BA (Hons)

I am really sad about online sessions at the University, sincerely if I knew that lessons were online due to covid, I am not sure that I would start university. I started in January 2020, and I did just 2 months with the University open.

Georges

Hospitality Management MBA

actually, its my first year at university of sunderland, Im still doing my Term 1. But after 4 months of experience and studies, i would like to say that the overall experience at thia univeralsity is more than perfect, always they meet my needs and help me to go through my study problems. Furthermore, everything in the unibersity is clear and well explained in emails and website. I highly recommend students who looks for a university to go for unibersity of sunderland. As a conclusion, I've find all my needs and dream studies in the university of sunderland.

University of Sunderland

Business and Management BA (Hons)

Hello everyone, I am so happy to be part of the students in the University of Sunderland, the people are so down to earth and the City of Sunderland is so environmentally friendly. My university is giving their students so many privileges, they are so helpful, you'll always see a smile on their faces anytime you come in for an assistance and that only, changes your mood!!! The experience was one of a kind!! Warm regards, Adaugo

Adama

University of Sunderland

Law (Qualifying) LLB (Hons)

Overall my first experience has been one of the best and hopefully I have more wonderful years to come and great memories to take back home and share with everyone It may be a small city but the beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

Huzaifa

University of Sunderland

Computer Science BSc (Hons)

It is a very great experience learning here specially considering the fact that lockdown has made a huge impact in the way students are now retaining information. Various forms of services are provided in this time of need and a massive focus on students wellbeing are looked at.

Jake

University of Sunderland

Childhood Studies BA (Hons)

My first year has been fantastic, my second year will hopefully have more face to face but the dedication shown by the lecturers has been superbe. The facilities are fantastic as well as the support from not only the tutors, fellow students but also the librarians and the tutors that are not connected to my course are always available and will always help if needed.

Zarron

University of Sunderland

Photography, Video and Digital Imaging BA (Hons)

Fantastic University with lots of support for students with great facilities that are constantly evolving, situated in a major northern city with brilliant transport links. The course offered lots of interesting paths to follow and the built in professional practice makes employability a major part of the course