816 University of St Andrews reviews

• University of St Andrews
Rebecca

University of St Andrews

French and German (year abroad) MA (Hons)

With Covid restrictions, most of my year was spent online and over half of my time spent living at home. I do think the teaching couldn’t have been delivered in a more suitable way but online learning was not easy. Not only was the academic side difficult but it was also tricky to meet people outside of your hall or those with similar interests as many extra curricular events were not able to happen.

Megan

University of St Andrews

German and International Relations MA (Hons)

The school had tried to create a hybrid experience during the last year. It has been more successful foe certain modules that do not require lots of face to face contact but has not been equal as that in past years. Hybrid teaching can only be successful if the university itself provides the resources for staff and students to succeed. The school’s expectations on students to produce a similar quality of academic work is not possibles within the environment of a global pandemic. I am hopeful that will change in the coming years.

Genevieve

University of St Andrews

Chemistry and Physics MSci (Hons)

I think that St Andrews has done well during COVID but it has been difficult as I don’t know what I am missing. It has been somewhat difficult to engage but many professors have tried very hard.

Laura

Biochemistry (MBiochem) MBiochem

I think a lot of it being bad is due to covid. Study spaces weren't open. Lectures were all online and (even worse) labs were almost exclusively online for first years. Overall meant limited contact with lecturers so felt quite cut off from the department. Don't feel the teaching has been of an equal quality to what it would have been if we had been in person. Limited feedback on submitted work- areas for improvement often vague and unhelpful.

Cara

Economics BSc (Hons)

This year has obviously had its challenges but the university has done its best to provide for those on campus. They had in person small classes when possible and opened as many study spaces as they could for our exams as they recognised that studying in our flats everyday wasn’t optimal. Whenever there was a spike in cases everyone was encouraged to get tested which really helped keep the spread under control especially when my university is in such a small town. Adapting to online learning has been hard but the lecturers always done their best to accommodate everyone. Online lectures are less than ideal but having a mixture of live lectures and recorded really helped. As much as this year had its struggles I think the university done the most they could to support us through such a difficult time.

Clover

University of St Andrews

Art History and Modern History MA (Hons)

Overall, I would recommend St. Andrews for my course. I would like there to be more contact hours at honours, especially given we have missed so many at sub honours.

Emma

Postgraduate research degrees PhD

The community feel of the University is amazing! It really helps you integrate and be welcomed, especially when you come from a different institution as you moved from undergrad to postgraduate studies.

Isabelle

University of St Andrews

Sustainable Development MA (Hons)

Overall very good. Although I would have hoped for better and closer relationships to staff members like my tutors, as I feel like classes were often times impersonal and staff seemed uninterested in us

Henry

Neuroscience BSc (Hons)

Despite the challenges this year, my university had quickly adapted to online learning. Where possible they have made sure that students are kept safe and have provided testing which has helped many students return safely to campus.

Sarah

Psychology MA (Hons)

This is just due to the circumstances given by covid, it has been a struggle to keep up with work and get myself into a routine of teaching myself as it is very much independent study. This academic year has been very mentally draining and difficult as it is so isolating. I know next year will be much better if everything is back to normal