University of Portsmouth

• University of Portsmouth
MT
Maya Turner

Biology BSc (Hons)

Portsmouth uni is a very student oriented place to be. The uni itself it’s small so although it’s a city based uni it does have an element campus feel when on site. My course has been very enjoyable so far with a great adaptation to online and blended learning. I’ve had some excellent support whenever I have needed it and guidance along the way. The location is definitely a selling point, Portsmouth has some lovely coastline, great shops, cool independent high streets and more. It’s also extremely convenient with almost everything a stones throw away. Some of the buildings and rooms are slightly dated and the student union need a bit of life injected into it but they’re still more than adequate. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Portsmouth so far

EM
Ellis Mae Livingston

Geology BSc (Hons)

Best meeting new people and learning new things from lectures Worst that Covid messed up our first year a lot so we didn’t get the same experience as past university students

ET
Emma Tester
First gen student

Criminology with Psychology BSc (Hons)

Since COVID-19, the facilities have been inaccessible, so although it is great to have them, I’m nearing the end of my second year and still have not had the chance to use them.

JO
Jack O'Connor

Mechanical Engineering BEng (Hons)

My experience so far at Portsmouth has actually been very good, I have made some of my best mates here, and despite the feelings before uni, I haven't met a person yet that has been horrible or even just a bit of a nob. For the buildings, some are definitely better than others - there is a new sports centre opening very soon which is going to be very popular, and I've seen that a new university building for business and law is going to be built soon also. Some buildings are a complete maze too so if you come here, get to know it before id say. For accommodation, this is either a case of getting lucky imo. I got here through clearing so I didn't have many choices on what I got, so I ended up at rees, which isn't the worst of them all, I've met my best mates here, but the food somedays is shocking, and the portion sizes arent great too. I've heard positive things about Catherine, Greetham, and Rosalind franklin though. For socials, there is plenty of stuff to do here, whether it be clubbing, or just uni clubs, there are plenty of socials to do so you will never not be busy. So overall, id say Portsmouth uni has been great for me, and I would recommend it.

1 people found this helpful

JR
Jennifer Rufus

Forensic Psychology BSc (Hons)

I really love the location. The lecturers I’ve met so far are really kind and helpful. Although, it’s a bit difficult for international students to fit in and make friends.

SA
Sakeena Almedaweb

Cyber Security and Forensic Information Technology MSc

The location for our university is really incredible, a city that surrounded by the sea is always my number one desire in a university. The people here are also one of the reasons that made me love staying in this city, they’re so friendly and nice to everyone, they love helping which is really great for the students who have issues fitting in. I’ve never been treated in any kind of discrimination as well which is something i find very rare nowadays in big cities like portsmouth. However, the only thing that I didn’t like about this city is that after 6 o’clock there isn’t much things to do except playing bowling. As a student i think it’s important if the city i’m staying in has a little bit of fun, more activities for the students to enjoy . It would be fun if our university started making some fun events for the students to have fun and make new friends as well because most of the students have issues trying to meet new friends. For my studies, so far so good. My instructors are very kind, they helped me in my first day to start fitting in. They also helped me with my registration issue and was so nice about it. I find the university I’m studying in is actually perfect and i’m so happy to be part of it.

VK
Vaibhav Kumar

Project Management MSc

Well as a international student, the best thing about Uni has been there support at every step. They made sure we students dont face any problem, whether its travelling, getting to know portsmouth, covid rules, visa process and many other things. Someone was always there to support and guide us. Never felt it was away from home and one thing i personally feel is the whole Portsmouth feels like University because we see our uni name or advertisement everywhere. Now if talk about worst, i havnt faced anything near to worst till date, everything just seems perfect like a fairy tale. I have previously studied in Scotland, but never felt like this. Love everything about being here❤️

MW
Maisy Webb
First gen student

UoP has been amazing so far. The university offers a free bus every 15 minutes to all students and staff to travel around the city, so those that live a bit further away from the uni facilities can travel for free. Also, Uber and bolts are really cheap (around £5) to travel anywhere around the city. The buildings are all well kept and fairly modern, and so easy to navigate and find your way around. Living in the area is affordable, with multiple supermarkets within walking distance all over the city. I have only been here since covid, so the uni does lack some in person experiences, with this year being blended learning.

EK
Emily Kidd

Sociology BSc (Hons)

All the lecturers are so amazingly passionate about their modules which makes learning even more exciting. It’s also got everything you need in Portsmouth- the sea, the city and so on. My only improvement would be to do with the student accommodation and how crazy expensive some of the things are like washing clothes.

LB
Lucy Brown

Interior Architecture and Design BA (Hons)

I love my accommodation and my course is exactly what I wanted. All the staff are super friendly and helpful too!