1,305 University of Manchester reviews

• University of Manchester
Philippa

University of Manchester

Film Studies and English Literature BA (Hons)

The lecturers and academic advisors work very hard to deliver a learning experience but the university itself has let us down, we feel neglected and not part of a community as a result of covid isolating. Students have been treated more as economic prospects than people.

Daniele

Linguistics BA (Hons)

The teaching materials, the lecturers and tutors were the highlight of the year. I am really enjoy the academic course. The whole year wasn’t as great as we were invited to go back to campus and then told before the first week of teaching began that all lectures and activities will be delivered online, so there was no blended learning which was promised. This was quite infuriating as there was no other reason to go on campus than to give university money for the accommodations. I am aware of the situation on hand but that was just disappointing and the university provided little help with that. Studying online has been very difficult and keeping on track with your studies was hard as there were no way to keep yourself accountable offered if you did not create a system yourself. There were deadline extensions due to Covid in the second semester which was helpful. First semester was exceptionally hard to get through with little support offered.

Katie

History of Art BA (Hons)

It has been okay, obviously limited by covid, especially as an entire 2nd year module for me was based around a trip abroad which obviously didn’t go ahead. Therefore that led to a last-minute module that wasn’t the best, but other than they the university did as good a job as they could’ve for me with online learning.

Steffan

University of Manchester

French and Russian BA (Hons)

Despite the less-than-ideal situation in which we find ourselves, I've really had a lovely time at university this year. My first year wasn't at all what I expected but we were all in the same boat and made the most of it. I love all my flatmates, course mates and lecturers. We've all formed a nice community and I feel confident that the friendships I've formed will be long-lasting. This year has simultaneously been the best and most stressful year of my life (uni, life and pandemic stress make quite the cocktail!), so it's definitely one to remember! I look forward to getting out and getting onto campus more -- believe it or not, in the year I have studied at university I have only been to the library once and the Students' Union twice -- and exploring my course as well as all that the beautiful city of Manchester has to offer when it's in full bloom. This year has been tough, but the friendships I've made make it all worth it and I'm hopeful for my future.

Geography BA (Hons)

I have loved my time at Manchester, but throughout Covid I feel they could have done more, why aren’t we having a graduation later in the year?

Lilly

MD Medicine

I love the uni and can't wait to start clinical years, but i have nothing but negative comments about PBL. I don't think it is effective for anyone and it is much safer to teach our future doctors via lecture based study than PBL. It should take a more integrated approach.

Lucy

University of Manchester

This year has been difficult and the move to online has been useful in some ways as it allows you to be more flexible in your learning and fit your time around other things. However, you definitely feel like you get less support with it being online and the university seems to give more work to make up for the fact we are not in person.

Freya

University of Manchester

Russian and Spanish BA (Hons)

My tutors have been amazing but the university itself has proven to be untrustworthy and does not put students first. I have not been on campus for over a year and have just had my year abroad cancelled at the last minute (which was the whole reason I chose to do this degree).

Caitlin

Geography BA (Hons)

Yes, this academic year has been a disappointment for everybody. But, I think that my lecturers have made the best out of a bad situation- they have been enthusiastic and available to chat and have tried to keep us all engaged with the content. It is not their fault that we're in the situation we are in. However, saying this, I believe that the University as a whole could have done better, especially for first years. I was lucky to not be living in halls, but the images I have seen over the last year have made me lose all trust in the senior management at the University of Manchester. There could have been more done to support the welfare of first year students, as well as there academic studies.

Sebastian

University of Manchester

Politics and International Relations BSocSc (Hons)

My overall uni experience has been fun, yet my academic experience has been severely disadvantaged by my university's apparent lack of compassion for the students.