University of Leicester | Student Reviews

1,068 University of Leicester reviews

• University of Leicester
Faeza

University of Leicester

Medical Physiology BSc (Hons)

Amazing experience, but the fact that it was online made some experiences less enjoyable. There was constant support from the staff, they always answered questions really fast through emails.

Ashleigh

University of Leicester

French and Spanish BA (Hons)

The overall experience that I have received from my university I would say has been very mixed. I feel as though I have missed out on the experience of being on campus being able to take part in lectures and seminars in person as well as meet other students on my course. Because by being online, a lot of students would keep their cameras off, hardly participate in online seminars and it has been difficult to meet others. Although I have enjoyed being at home comfortable during my online lectures I feel as though the £9,250 that I have paid for this academic year has not been value for money. I have been unable to use the university facilities and have not been refunded for my accommodation. Another issue is that none of my lectures/seminars were recorded, so therefore I could not go back and re-watch them which was so unreliable. Moreover, the university never provided anything on how to reference or how to write an assignment, this left me and many others lost or having to rely on others to give advice. Most importantly my tutor hasn't been helpful or supportive during my 1st year, hardly emailing me, not scheduling meetings with me for 1-1 and I feel more comfortable talking to another lecturer instead. Overall, I would say it has been a very difficult year to begin my university academic year, it has definitely had its challenges and lack of support but I am hopeful for my 2nd year this September.

Kitty

Chemistry MChem (Hons)

Overall I have loved my uni experience pre-covid, but with my specific course it just does not work/do not get what you expect when delivered online due to the pandemic.

anna

English BA (Hons)

I feel as though I have managed to have a good first year at university. It has, however, been very challenging at times - for example, there was a significant impact on studying and learning as it is not the same to be taught virtually. It was a shame to miss out on a normal year at university. I was very lucky with the friends I made in my flat as being at university can often be isolating - which I would often find, especially during lockdown. I liked my accommodation and am starting to appreciate the access we have to other facilities at the university now that things are beginning to open up. Uni of Leicester is not classified as a Russell Group uni, which, when I was applying, I thought was a drawback. Being here has shown me that these labels do not matter and that a university can make you feel comfortable and supported without being part of an elite system. Regardless of how we have made the most of a bad situation, this year has still not been worth the money. Tuition fees are especially extreme considering the difficulty to provide the same level of education online. There should be serious consideration for the quality of education, the impact of our wellbeing and the general experience we have had and whether that is worth the money we are paying.

Libby

University of Leicester

Medical Physiology BSc (Hons)

Overall, I have loved my lectures they have been really interesting and delivered well. It has been challenging and rewarding. I have never loved my subject more! The quality of teaching has also been very good. I know this has been a challenging year but I wish more in person labs were put on in person when we were allowed. I would have appreciated more support and social aspects in replacement for the loss of in person labs and tutorials to help make friends and build a relationship with tutors and lecturers.

Dionne

University of Leicester

Medical Genetics BSc (Hons)

Really did not feel supported by most academic staff. The quality of online lectures wasn’t great. Was supposed to be shorter online lectures with essential reading but ending up being longer than normal lectures with the reading and then extra reading on top for first class grades. Have missed out on practicals due to pandemic and had no alternative. Small group tutorials were moved online in the first semester but were organised poorly and learnt barely anything. Student support had been good when I reached out. The ability to watch lectures when I wanted rather than having to attend with attendance monitoring was better. Also really disappointed that there is no compensation for the lack of teaching we’ve had, no access to campus for most of the year.

Olivia

University of Leicester

Politics and International Relations BA (Hons)

In some aspects online learning has been great as I can go at my on pace however I miss the contact with other students and tutors. I have significantly less teaching hours this year which hasn't been good I feel like I'm paying for nothing much of my course that has been taught I already new either from a levels or reading. Additionally this year campus has been closed and we were not allowed to go into any buildings unless we were on a certain course it seemed really unfair, I understand the reasoning behind it but it was still frustrating.

Hridiya

University of Leicester

Nursing with Leadership Dual Registration Mental Health and Adult Nursing MSci (Hons)

Haven’t been able to use any facilities and haven’t got enough support for assignments. Lectures have been very mediocre too. Would prefer to have had more support and guidance when it came to how to do assignments.

Jazmin

Criminology BSc (Hons)

My whole university experience has been completely ruined by the state of the accommodation here. It’s disgusting. Mould everywhere, broken windows, broken showers, broken heating, infestations, dirty kitchens when you first arrive, no feeling of safety within the accommodation- people walk in unannounced. No matter how many times you complain about something, the most the uni will do is send some old man out to quickly look at the problem and say there’s nothing they can do, when they haven’t even tried. It’s absolutely not worth the money they’re charging us, we’re cramped in tiny, dirty areas. It’s not acceptable living conditions.

Gerald

Psychology of Work MSc, PGDip, by distance learning

University do not follow marking policies and procedures. Do not follow complaints policies and procedures. Return marked work late with poor or little feedback. Favour students already working within the field. Offered no advice on career development.