The University of Law

982 The University of Law reviews

Our collection of real, honest student reviews of unis and courses is the largest in the UK, and help you make well-informed decisions about your future. Student reviews also form the basis of our annual Whatuni Student Choice Awards(WUSCAs), which highlight great work carried out by institutions for their students.

• The University of Law
Alice

MA Law (Conversion)

As a one-year postgraduate student at the university, there are plenty of things that could be improved. The actual teaching is fairly good - it's obvious that a lot of reading, revision and work will be expected, but generally speaking, lecturers are engaging, friendly and the workshops are more like group challenges, rather than the bog-standard lectures most universities offer. I would perhaps like to see more of a pre-workshop lecture take place, as sometimes the prep work can be incredibly overwhelming, and it really makes a difference when a lecturer takes 45 minutes or so, just to go over the weeks tasks and outcomes for the unit. The administration on the other hand, are absolutely shocking. I requested to change course pathway, and by the time they got round to emailing me back about it, it had fallen over the liability fee date. I ended up paying £200 more, for a course that I was moving to in order to save money in the first place. Emails go unnoticed for weeks at a time, constantly chasing up where my course change is up to. I'm weeks away from exams, and still no confirmation to suggest that my transfer has been successful. This is despite having completely paid off the course fees + the extra that they wanted, but failed to explain clearly to me what they were for. The exam admin system is pretty poor, too. We were weeks late in receiving our mock exam results back, for no good reason (our lecturers ended up having to take time out of the lesson to individually provide us with the grade and feedback, so we weren't waiting even longer). At the start of the course last year, we were told we'd be given the chance to work on some volunteering projects in several different legal areas, such as the phone advice clinic and school consent projects. We signed up for this, and heard absolutely nothing about it since. If you want to do the SQE pathway with the MA, they advise that they can offer 4 weeks QWE towards qualifying. What they don't tell you is it's unpaid, and full time. Great if you're a student with family to support you, but for those like myself who work alongside studying, it really pushes the narrative that only certain students take precedent for opportunities like those. The email I got when I asked why this was, was because ''it's unpaid, because you don't need to pay to do it''.... you don't need to pay to start any job, though? What sort of reason is that? The facilities are decent. My campus in particularly is relatively small, but being in the city centre, it's really convenient and the internal library is open until late and on weekends, which is a huge help. I don't really know much about the SU, other than the occasional email I receive about it. It doesn't seem as much of a big deal at the university compared to larger, one-campus uni's. Overall, I just feel the university is lacking in admin support in order to make things more sufficient for students. The fact I personally, and everyone else in my class, are paying at least £12,000 to study there is not really acceptable when we're left waiting for responses to enquires, exam results, as well as our actual exam coursework instructions being released late. Probably wouldn't recommend, unless perhaps you were part-time and didn't need to spend so much time there each week.

Reviewed: 23 April 2022
LW
L Wolckenhaar

MA Law (Conversion)

I would strongly advise prospective students to choose a "public university", not a private one. The Uni of Law does not care about its students whatsoever. I have experienced a lot of stress trying to deal with the incompetence and lack of support from the so called "university". They currently charge £150.00 PER resit on top of tuition fees. They did temporarily remove these resit fees during lockdown, but have now reinstated them. They are a for-profit business. There primary focus is to get as many students as possible, to make as much money as possible. You receive conflicting information from different people within the same department and they even go so far to say you have failed an exam, when in fact you have confirmation that you did not. What is worse is that they will keep telling you that you need to resit when you do not. They do not care. They also say that if you complain about the university you will get kicked off the course.

Reviewed: 14 April 2022
Andressa

Legal Practice Course LPC

The university provides a lot of support to students

Reviewed: 09 April 2022
Emma

Legal Practice Course LPC

Best aspects - none, just get the qualification you need to progress. How could it be improved - in every way. The student support is awful, the disability services provided very little help when I found myself in the position that I couldn't attend face to face workshops due to my condition. I was informed I could not use the online streaming service despite it running until the end of the course and was left in a position when I was incredibly unwell, distressed and in severe pain trying to attend in person workshops. Often I was unable to do so. The university made countless administrative errors ranging from not correctly organising my virtual interviewing exam (to the point where I almost was registered as non-attending) to timetabling two of my exams on the same day. The list, unfortunately, goes on. I have heard that other places are somehow meant to be worse but I honestly do not understand how that would be possible. The teaching is moderately ok but most of the work is done independently and there are no lectures. Why exactly the price is so high for providing less contact hours than most universities, I am not sure. This situation goes to show the terrible service a University can provide when they have a monopoly on the provision of a qualification such as the ULAW with the LPC.

Reviewed: 04 April 2022
Serena
2 reviews
FIRST YEAR

I think it’s a great place to do law because it’s a law specialist school. The teachers are all lawyers as well which is good to get to know the experience. However, I would like to have more in person lectures for the university experience

Reviewed: 03 April 2022
MW
Magdalena Wnuk
SECOND YEAR

Business Management BSc (Hons)

it is a good place to study but some of the tutors haven't got enough skills to work on University

Reviewed: 02 April 2022
EJ
Ellie Jeffcock
First gen student
SECOND YEAR

Business Management BSc (Hons)

University of law have not only expanded my knowledge a huge amount but its also inspired me and opened so many different paths I didn’t even know about! I am very grateful to be studying here. One disadvantage is not having the uni experience due to covid

Reviewed: 02 April 2022
MI
Mohammed Ilyas
First gen student
FIRST YEAR

Bar Practice Course (BPC)

The best thing is that it’s so close to my house and within the city centre. It could be improved by having more facilities such as a canteen etc

AK
Alisha Khan

Legal Practice Course LPC

I would give it 0 stars if I could. It’s just so evil. No care for students, just for the money that lines their pockets. No sympathy either. I recommend anyone to try elsewhere and not have the pain of the neglect and gaslighting this uni will do to you.

HB
Hasnain Baig

MSc Project Management Online

The Environment and the access to every facility is too Good.