Student reviews of University of Glasgow

University of Glasgow 3008 reviews

Filter reviews

University of Glasgow

Sociology/Politics (SocSci) MA (Hons)

I like it a lot. There are things that could be improved, but these are minor and I would stress that the things that are great about Glasgow feel genuinely unique.

The university has a pretty active internship hub, which advertises various positions. These are helpfully targeted to specific students. For example, students in the arts have their own section, for jobs targeted at them. My department (social sciences) have put a lot of money into running Q-step degrees, which aim to give graduates from non-quantitative skills, experience with numbers in their respective fields. They are willing to pay for people to go to summer schools around the world and learn more about stats, which I think will be pretty impressive when I graduate.

The lecturers are very creative in the way that they teach. I have had some excellent lecturers and tutors who are deeply passionate bout what they're teaching and are clearly very intelligent. I would especially recommend Andrew Smith in sociology. My least favourite part about teaching is that a lot of the facilities are not ideal spaces. The campus is probably too small to accommodate all the people it does. They are building a lot of new stuff right now to change this, but at the moment, there is not a great deal of high quality teaching space.

What do you think of your Students' Union? If you don't get involved, why not?

It's really good. Glasgow has two unions, both huge and both very different in character, which is pretty special, I think. The unions are very active, there's loads of societies, moreover, the unions are very supportive of societies and will give you space and advice for free, if you register.

How good are your university’s facilities?

A mixture of sublime and terrible. Some of the buildings are great, it's really cool to actually have lectures and tutorials in the Gilbert Scott building, it makes attending university feel special. The library is absolutely great, it's huge, I think one of the biggest in the country. The downside to the universities facilities is that a lot of them weren't designed for the current capacity they have to handle. A lot of buildings, especially departmental buildings can feel cramped at peak times.

City Life
What’s the city life like?

Glasgow is an amazing city. Moving from a medium sized city, I really like how genuinely big and diverse Glasgow is. It's very much a city of districts and there's so much going on all the time.

Clubs and Societies
What are the clubs and societies like?

Great, the university life is very active and it's easy to get involved.

Academic support is very good. I have disability support from the university which I think is great. I have heard some bad things about mental health support, but I've never used it. My personal experience has only been positive.

University of Glasgow

Electronic and Software Engineering BSc (Hons)

has had a lot of ups and downs, the jump from school to uni was a bit difficult but I have made a lot of friends, join a few societies and met my boyfriend here and overall enjoy living in glasgow

History PhD

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Glasgow so far and have gained much both academically and non-academically. I was previously at another institution for my undergraduate and Masters degrees and have enjoyed my time at Glasgow much more. My department (the Centre for Gender History) is welcoming, lacks negative hierarchies and encourages students to achieve their full potential.

Computing Science PhD

I am pretty happy here. It took some time to adjust, but you need that everywhere. The people here are friendly and supportive, the system aims to aid the student as best as possible. There are some hickups, but the staff seems to be very keen on evolving and adjusting the system where needed.

University of Glasgow

Business Economics (SocSci) MA (Hons)

Overall, I've loved Glasgow Uni. I have grown personally and academically and taken advantage of the wonderful opportunities it has offered me. However, sometimes I have struggled with anxiety and the university's support services have not been as helpful as they could have been.

Veterinary Medicine BVMS

University has been the best time of my life so far. I love Glasgow and the west end vibe, I really enjoy my course and I'm trying to take advantage of all uni has to offer!

History of Art MA (Hons)

Uni for me has been very difficult as the work load is a shock, however glasgow is a good uni with loads of friendly people and a good community surrounds it. I just personally have struggled with the experience as I'm not sure it was even right for me to go.

University of Glasgow

Philosophy/Sociology (SocSci) MA (Hons)

Personally it has been a hard university experience and the staff at university and all the associations available have helped to soften the blow a lot! I find the lectures very interesting and up to date with nowadays world, there is plenty of facilities and spaces for studying, having fun, doing sports and everything you could want to do at university. All in all, it's been a great experience being at UoG!

University of Glasgow

Chemical Physics BSc (Hons)

My university experience has been good, although i have no had an appropriate chance to fully experience the social side due to the amount of work my degree requires. I had to take a year out on medical grounds so personally it's been up and down for me. There are aspects i really enjoy, but some i don't, which is probably a common denominator amongst other students i suspect.

University of Glasgow

English Literature MA (Hons)

Glasgow is a great city and I have loved my time here. It's filled with great people and has a great vibe. Coming from a well-ranked university means that there's a lot of intelligent conversation around campus, which I love. The university itself seems to care little for its students and creates more problems than not. But, as the saying goes: It's the people who make Glasgow.

Rating summary