Student reviews of University of Glasgow

3,331 University of Glasgow reviews

• University of Glasgow

University of Glasgow

Sociology/Politics (SocSci) MA (Hons)

I like it a lot. There are things that could be improved, but these are minor and I would stress that the things that are great about Glasgow feel genuinely unique.

The university has a pretty active internship hub, which advertises various positions. These are helpfully targeted to specific students. For example, students in the arts have their own section, for jobs targeted at them. My department (social sciences) have put a lot of money into running Q-step degrees, which aim to give graduates from non-quantitative skills, experience with numbers in their respective fields. They are willing to pay for people to go to summer schools around the world and learn more about stats, which I think will be pretty impressive when I graduate.

The lecturers are very creative in the way that they teach. I have had some excellent lecturers and tutors who are deeply passionate bout what they're teaching and are clearly very intelligent. I would especially recommend Andrew Smith in sociology. My least favourite part about teaching is that a lot of the facilities are not ideal spaces. The campus is probably too small to accommodate all the people it does. They are building a lot of new stuff right now to change this, but at the moment, there is not a great deal of high quality teaching space.

What do you think of your Students' Union? If you don't get involved, why not?

It's really good. Glasgow has two unions, both huge and both very different in character, which is pretty special, I think. The unions are very active, there's loads of societies, moreover, the unions are very supportive of societies and will give you space and advice for free, if you register.

How good are your university’s facilities?

A mixture of sublime and terrible. Some of the buildings are great, it's really cool to actually have lectures and tutorials in the Gilbert Scott building, it makes attending university feel special. The library is absolutely great, it's huge, I think one of the biggest in the country. The downside to the universities facilities is that a lot of them weren't designed for the current capacity they have to handle. A lot of buildings, especially departmental buildings can feel cramped at peak times.

City Life
What’s the city life like?

Glasgow is an amazing city. Moving from a medium sized city, I really like how genuinely big and diverse Glasgow is. It's very much a city of districts and there's so much going on all the time.

Clubs and Societies
What are the clubs and societies like?

Great, the university life is very active and it's easy to get involved.

Academic support is very good. I have disability support from the university which I think is great. I have heard some bad things about mental health support, but I've never used it. My personal experience has only been positive.

Scarlett

University of Glasgow

Business and Management (SocSci) MA (Hons)

So far my university experience has been very good, i have met many nice and open people. Lots of good facilities and a nice location, easy to access lots of places.

Aike

University of Glasgow

History of Art/Theatre Studies MA (Hons)

My overall university experience has been really positive and probably life-changing. I have had so many opportunities through studying at Glasgow University, as well as met incredibly people and learned so much. I have fallen in love with Scotland and Glasgow in particular, which I would have never gotten to know as I have now had I not started studying here. My courses have been very inspirational and really influential in where I want to go in life - through the university I have been able to have work placement or internships at amazing organisations, the experience of working there will hopefully be very beneficial for my future career. Furthermore, through my involvement in clubs & societies at university I have gained so many skills in organisation, activism, journalism and met great friends.

Molly

University of Glasgow

Mathematics and Statistics MSci (Hons)

It has been underwhelming, depressing and completely soul crushing. The university does not care about it's students at all, they're condescending and do not listen at all.

pgrstudent

Public Health PhD

Not great. I regret studying here. Basic facilities - library, catering - are over stretched. The university does not seem to value students beyond the fee that we bring.

Daniela

Geography BSc (Hons)

Ive had a great time at UofG. Love my course, societies ive been involved in and the friends i've made here. I've got involved in activities I thought i never would have.

Alice

University of Glasgow

Archaeology/Business & Management (SocSci) MA (Hons)

the topic of my life is still study, but there are many social events for my to participate in. i really satisfy my uni life except the same group work members.

Douglas

University of Glasgow

Mechanical Design Engineering MEng (Hons)

Academically and socially my experience at glasgow univerity has been very positive. The teaching and feedback are excellent, facilities are excellent and so are the societies

Jennifer

Psychological Studies (Conversion) MSc

I've had a very good experience so far. The course is interesting, fast-paced and covers a great deal of material. You won't get bored. The lecturers, tutors and my dissertation supervisor have all been fantastic. I would love if the course could add a practical element in terms of work in mental health or research opportunities over the summer (particularly after the course while dissertation is being written).

EH
Emma Hardy

Archaeology MA (Hons)

I've had a great university experience-I absolutely love Glasgow and would readily recommend it to anyone. Most of my positive experiences are tied to my involved in the Students' Representative Council.