University of Essex | Student Reviews

995 University of Essex reviews

• University of Essex
Hannah

MSc Management

Good experience overall however the pandemic has made it more difficult to connect with campus facilities, support and educational aspects of university life. Feedback has sometimes been late which can cause negative impact on grades, but generally staff have been supportive and helpful.

V
Viktoriya

University of Essex

English and United States Literature BA (Hons)

I felt quite disappointed and alone this year at uni, because all my classes were online and meeting people was near to impossible. I also felt less motivated in my courses and studies. While this year has been a struggle, by joining societies virtually i have tried to make the most of it.

Sharon

University of Essex

Law with Business LLB (Hons)

Although it has been online It has been interesting so far I’ve learnt a lot Experienced a lot Made friend even online cause of lectures I’m not done with first year but so far everything is going well

Hannah

University of Essex

Human Biology (Including Placement Year) BSc (Hons)

Teaching has been structured well however there hasn’t been many contact hours which I feel could have been increased as most students are struggling to adapt to online learning. They have countered this with ample resources online so if you want to do well they’ve provided everything you need to do they. Exams this year are online but are timed just like normal exams, which is something we have fought through the SU to no success. Wifi, caring responsibilities and children all would impact on a timed exam and this wasn’t taken into consideration and with other courses having 24 hour online exams I don’t understand why it isn’t the same for us. Doing a science degree, having practical work is key to gain skills and experience needed for post graduate work. However we have had absolutely nothing, even when university was allowed to open temporarily this year they never did. I have missed out on gaining skills I will need in the future and have not made any attempt for us to gain those skills through a summer school which is what is happening for other courses which are deemed more essential. The teachers are always approachable with issues but the work they have set this year has been relentless. This year I’ve completed 26 pieces of coursework and when everyone’s mental health is already struggling it didn’t seem right that this was extra stress added on. I don’t think it was value for money. I’m only getting half of my degree so why am I paying full price for half the service.

Daniel

University of Essex

Philosophy and Sociology (Including Foundation Year) BA (Hons)

Overall my experience was good from an academic side, but from a living point of view, there is little to do on campus at night unless you like nightclubs which don’t appeal to me. Accommodation in the Copse is nice but the kitchen and rooms lack Character and feel rather clinical, also my flat had several different cultured people so was difficult to live with

Andre

Mathematics BSc (Hons)

Somewhat limited due to the current coronavirus pandemic and online teaching has left much to be desired but other than that the university has been supportive in terms of mental and physical health and preparation for the future

Aleyna

University of Essex

Biomedical Science BSc (Hons)

Because it was COVID 19, i didnt havw many classes on campus. However i still liked the university experience overall. I didnt like online classes at first, but now that Im used to it, i think it is more efficient. I like the laboratory sessions on campus the most. But because the university is not using facilities now, they could have lower the prices.

Ella

University of Essex

Computer Science (Including Year Abroad) BSc (Hons)

I only enjoyed my study abroad year. Every other year had been like walking through hell. My final year is nice and a breeze as I do not even need to be on campus.

Jordon

University of Essex

Modern History and Politics BA (Hons)

My overall experience was really great. I love the lecturers and the other people on my courses were insightful and intelligent. It was a pleasure to learn with them. However, the institution itself needs a lot of work on supporting its students. Lying about us returning for dual teaching when that was never an option was a clear money scam. To top it all off, the SU held a referendum about this year and tuition fees and the university is still yet to respond. Overall, I had a great experience but I do think the higher up institutions can be more supportive to students.

MSc Molecular Medicine

Good university. Although the module was delivered online, it did not reduce the quality of the knowledge delivered. The faculties were extra supportive during the pandemic.