933 UCL (University College London) reviews

• UCL (University College London)
Jaspreet

Computer Graphics, Vision and Imaging MSc

I had a fantastic time. I really do miss this masters program. The staff were lovely, my course mates were too. The work was very challenging and although I don’t miss those late library sessions I think it made me a much more stronger and capable engineer.

Phaedra

UCL (University College London)

Applied Medical Sciences BSc (Hons)

There were a few issues with online teaching and how the program was adapted to accommodate for the online material and teaching style. Also a bit issue arose with the lack of lab work as that is crucial for our education in this field. However, slowly things got better as everyone became more experienced with online teaching and by the end of the year things went smoothly. Even small seminars worked well with people being eager to participate

Bea

Medicine (6 years) MB BS

My iBSc in particular this year has navigated the pandemic incredibly well and offered the best support I have received at university so far. Prior years were a bit less personal just because the course size is so big.

V
Vanessa

UCL (University College London)

Arts and Sciences with Study Abroad BASc (Hons)

1) Online teaching has been an unpleasant experience to me personally. It is not the fault of the lecturers, although some lecturers are disorganised when adjusting to online teaching. While I liked the flexibility of online teaching and mix of teaching styles, there is a lack of social interaction as there are not enough efforts to facilitate stimulating intellectual discussion and people don’t talk or put their cameras on during live sessions, making me feel disconnected. There are also few group work / interactive activities outside of online classes. I do not feel adequately intellectually/ academically engaged on most classes. Language classes taken outside my department are the worst as it’s simply not at all like the in person experience. 2) The university has not given us a satisfactory safety net. Having 5 self certified extenuating circumstances (to get 2 week extensions / defer exams to late summer) is useful but limited because it’s simply not fair that we are expected to perform to (and be graded at) the standards of past cohorts when we have had a different teaching experience and have been going through a pandemic. Mental health is poor and not all students can properly access online learning. 3) It is upsetting that international students do not get any reduced fees.

V
Vicky

UCL (University College London)

Natural Sciences BSc (Hons)

Very happy to have chosen this university. They have adapted to the pandemic well. Feel like I have learnt a lot from my education here and I have not only learnt about my subject but also other usefull skills for the job market.

Genevieve

Anthropology BSc (Hons)

Being a first year during the pandemic has definitely been disappointing and I have missed out on opportunities I know I will never have the chance to take, both socially and academically. Nevertheless, the price of tuition fees and student accommodation does not reflect the unprecedented circumstances that have taken place this year due to being the same, if not more than past years. We have also been graded on the same level as those from past years, which is extremely unjust as the quality of teaching this year has been significantly subpar.

Tara

UCL (University College London)

Applied Medical Sciences BSc (Hons)

Overall, my university and more particularly my course has done a very good job adjusting to COVID this past year. While some of the faculty have been slacking in this time and not understanding of the difficulty of online learning, others have made up for this in a more compassionate and logical approach to delivering online learning material. Being in halls this year was an incredibly important part of this year for me - without meeting my flatmates, I might have felt lost and lonely during these challenging times. I have been very lucky to have met them and connect with people via online society events at the beginning of first year. The best advice for going to a city university such as UCL is put yourself out there! Make the most of your money and connect with people on your course, in societies, and in halls. Use your professors as plentiful sources of knowledge - bug them with stupid questions! The real way to make the most out of university is by making connections. And don’t forget to have fun while doing all that studying!

Alice

Mathematics BSc (Hons)

Obviously not the experience that I had hoped for but as a student who has been lucky enough to remain on campus for the majority of the year and in halls where there have been a lot of students still around, I have really enjoyed my first year of uni and now that societies can run again, I’m finally starting to feel what a ‘typical’ uni year might be like once exams are over. As someone who was worried about how difficult their course was going to be, I do feel that I was thrown into the deep end and there were times when I really questioned if I was smart enough to be here - this was definitely made worse by lack of meaningful interactions with people on my course, I didn’t really have anyone that I knew related to the struggles I was facing!

Emilija

UCL (University College London)

Crime and Security Science BSc (Hons)

I think UCL did absolutely amazing especially with everything that was happening this year. The majority of issues that we had were from the government (campus reopening only on 17.5., no tuition fee refunds etc) but ucl really tried their best. The only massive complaint i have is cancelling our graduation (decision was made in January for October/ November) and not reconsidering at later stage (ie when the cases were clearly going down and the country will fully go back to normal in june)

Anna

UCL (University College London)

Human Sciences BSc (Hons)

My overall experience so far had been amazing. Uni is even better how I imagined, but I already had high standards! Seeing the professors working hand in hand during the pandemic was amazing as well, everyone tried their best to bring the most out of the situation. I made new friends, explored new passions and even started to learn a new language. I dont think it could get any better :)