Think Space Education | Student Reviews

4 Think Space Education reviews

• Think Space Education

Think Space Education

It's been awesome, overall. I feel like I've reached a new level musically, simply by being on the course and being placed with peers whose music challenges me to be as good as I can to stand out. It's an excellent simulation of a freelance work environment, as well as being supportive (both tutors and students are extremely helpful with questions and feedback!). I think this course deserves an excellent reputation and I tell everyone about it excitedly (we get guidance from some AAA-standard industry professionals on a regular basis); my only true problem was that the course doesn't accommodate for a UK student loan, as that would stop me running around trying to secure finances to pay for the course and give me more time to focus on study.

The skills learned within the course are designed to increase your compositional efficiency and ability when tasked with a commission from a client. In addition to this, the course providers recently launched a Music Business module, which is accessible to every single Masters student, past or present! Finally, ThinkSpace (the course providers) do get hired to score for film or compose the soundtrack to a game, so students get opportunities to bolster their portfolios with award-winning projects - as well as collaborate with others!

I love that the course is online as I can take modules at my own pace; the online course is supported by weekly 1-1 half-hour sessions, as well as longer 1-1 sessions (free of charge) at the student's request. This is an amazing level of support whilst allowing the student to move to their own rhythm. Pardon the pun! In terms of least liking something, I would say that some of the modules taken are possibly not too relevant to me, and may overcomplicate things for the student, causing confusion. As an example, I was learning about making music work in a game engine - after all, the course is "Composing for Video Games" - but a lot of time went into explaining technical aspects of sound effects in one of the modules, which then confused me a lot when it came time to do an assignment on composing music...after going through sound design for several months!

0.5

The course is quite close-knit in terms of community, despite being online. Thus, I feel that tutors are generally very approachable and so the need for a Union isn't quite necessary. However, some assignment gradings were (to me, at least) questionable, after study in the relevant course modules was not relevant to the assignment, and I was told I could possibly fail if I wished to escalate an issue further. For that, I would have liked some sort of safety net if I wished to go into further detail as to why I wished to contest an assignment grade.

How good are your university’s facilities?

The course modules are just a few clicks away! This is great for me, as I can access a ton of videos at any time. In terms of written research facilities, being an online course shouldn't present too much of a problem; this question just prompted me to send an email to the course providers to double check whether we have access to articles on sites like JSTOR or a library of eBooks.

As I'm living at home, then life is pretty quiet! However, as this course is essentially twinned with Chichester University in the UK, and I myself am from the UK, I would have liked the option for the course to be funded through the usual system of a governmental grant/loan, as living with family aged 25 is starting to grate on me and I really would like to live in student accommodation.

I answered this in a previous question to a point, but: - The academic support is great. Tutors talk with you in a non-patronising way, supporting your decisions and gently guiding you in a way that is very useful and constructive. It's really good! - In terms of personal support, the course is online, so I don't think any are set in place formally; however, I feel as though I could confide in tutors if need be.

Alex

Think Space Education

Generally it has been a very positive experience for me, allowing me to focus on the areas I wanted to going in. But also pushing me to develop my skills in areas such as coding which I hadn't previously considered.

George

MA Professional Media Composition

I absolutely loved the time at ThinkSpace. At times, terrifying (in a good way), challenging, and immensely rewarding, I would recommend it without hesitation. You really do get out of it what you put in. They will not spoon feed you, but expect you to behave as the future creative professional you aspire to be. Do that - ask questions, push, prod, and listen - and you will do well.

AB
Andrew Bellware

MA Professional Media Composition

I have learned a fantastic amount just in my first 4 months. The education has been out of this world, a focus on composition. The courses are brilliant and focused on real-world work.