The University of Edinburgh

1,455 The University of Edinburgh reviews

• The University of Edinburgh

This is my last year here and I can say that this place is good for MA students.The campus has a good location and that is the reason why I still prefer to live here.My dvice is that you need a good personal statement to come in the uni.

Environment and Development MSc

To me, Edinburgh Uni is a classic university that is big, traditional and very diverse. You could find any kind of people and research there, simply because of its size. The size means that many administrative processes are very slow and inefficient, but not as bad as to seriously affect your study experience. For example, they switched only recently to a new e-mail provider to replace the previous outdated e-mail provider (a change that had been done at my previous university, a small campus university, many years before). Generally, IT services are not very good. For example, staff and PhD student pages are seriously outdated and the university even recommends PhD students to create homepages on external blogging sites because the university is unable to provide its own platform. The courses are generally of good quality, but not outstanding. At Edinburgh Uni, lecturers are completely normal people who do solid work. Most of them are very much under pressure to produce research output to maintain the high position in rankings which sometimes affects quality of teaching. Student accommodation at Edinburgh Uni is basically a scam. Rooms are much more expensive than on the private market and are mostly taken by rich (Chinese) students from overseas. I think this is the weakest point of the university. There is a lot of networking potential lost in making student accommodation accessible only to the rich. The other weak point of the university are the high tuition fees, especially for overseas students. Basically, you only get either very rich people or people with scholarships. Overall, it's the best university in Scotland and one of the best in the UK. Very well respected, but you won't appear overqualified (as might be a problem e.g. with an Oxbridge degree).

Neurobiology MPhil

I think uni is pretty cool. Can't complain that I am bored or anything there is always something to do. People are really chill around. Uni's cool if you have money .

I am so happy with my choice to come here, it is so comfortable, this lifestyle at the moment. The course is stimulating and challenging, but not so hard to make it a chore. I am a member of the netball team and love it. I regularly go out and I thoroughly enjoy it. Even if drinking isnt your thing there is plenty to get up to in the capital.

Biological Sciences BSc (Hons)

First off, Edinburgh is a fantastic place to live and study in. This University will open many doors for you in the future, particularly if you're studying science/medicine etc (I'm studying BSc Biological Sciences (Hons)). If you're also aspiring to do biology here, the course in the first semester isn't especially great but only because its very general as they're trying to show you all aspects of biology in order for you to accurately pick your honours with regards to your interests. The lecturer's/practical leaders are in general very good however it is a totally different way of learning from school so be prepared. There were a couple of particularly bad lecturer's but they change a lot so you're not going to have a bad one for long. The lecturer's who covered the difficult parts of the course were all fantastic. The accommodation however is DISGUSTING and is the only thing I'm not enjoying so far about being here. I stay in self-catered South Clerk Street and it really is horrible (mice, flies, constantly have no hot water, smell of dampness, bad kitchen appliances, bad furnishings in rooms, the list goes on...). However this is the most cheap accommodation and I have been in the nicer self-catered flats which seem very nice to live in and people who live there enjoy it so my advice is to steer clear of the University cheap self-catered flats. One huge good point though is that you meet so many really lovely people staying in halls, so I would recommend it, just not South Clerk Street! Pollock I have never been to however I've heard the food isn't all that great so it's a waste of money to go catered. Overall, I would recommend Edinburgh as it is the highest ranked Uni in Scotland(just now) and you will go places with a degree from here.

Social Anthropology and Politics MA (Hons)

Edinburgh is great, I love the nightlife, its an easy pull. The girls are great, so are the rest of the people. My course is ok, kind of boring but I have some brilliant lecturers. Other than the nightlife, there are plenty of other things to do in this beautiful city. the sports through the university were great.

Veterinary Medicine BVMS

I have been at both St Andrews and Edinburgh university, both institutions are excellent and I have really enjoyed my time here. I definitely would recommend both of them and I am very glad that I studied with them.

Chemistry MChem (Hons)

Uni is awsome! Before this I was never actually enjoying my class work in school but here the learning opportunities are so much better and I love it. I don't think there is anything better than doing what you love, so if you love chemistry Edinburgh Uni is deffinetly the place to be.