Student reviews of Swansea University

Swansea University 2889 reviews

Timeline Article

University is so much better than i ever could have imagined, everyone should go to Swansea! It really couldn’t be better, the people are nice, the city's cool and the beach location is fantastic!

Timeline Article
Filter reviews

Chessie

Swansea University

Swansea University has been so much fun, I’ve made so many wonderful friends and had an amazing time. Sometimes I’ve wanted to tear my hair out with all the coursework and exams but I think it will be worth it once I graduate.

Compulsory Employability Module in 1st Year, optional industry placement module in 3rd Year, free advice from careers advisors with practice interviews, CV checking service, help setting up LinkedIn profile

The content is really interesting and some of the lecturers are amazing at making the content engaging, but the course organisation is very bad. There’s too many long lectures which are boring and you tend to switch off, and not enough seminars to really engage with the content and discuss ideas. The timetabling of coursework is also an issue as you can have no work to suddenly having lots due all at the same time, which can interfere with attendance as you’re constantly playing catch up. Communication about assessments can be a little confusing as lecturers tend to move the goal posts, or provide vague information about them.

What do you think of your Students' Union? If you don't get involved, why not?

They put on some really great events, although the packages and tickets seem to be very overpriced. we are also lacking a good student union bar/club, divas is really old and bad, definitely falling behind other unis here! The elections are really exciting but not sure if the officers actually get to implement many of their ideas, not sure how much sway they really have with the uni.

How good are your university’s facilities?

The uni actually has amazing facilities, we have a really good sports village and pool. Bay campus is brand new so everything looks amazing. Both libraries are a bit too small, especially the new bay one - looks good but not really fit for purpose. The same goes for the “great” hall, the capacity is far too small for a uni of this size so struggle for larger events such as freshers fair and graduation.

City Life
What’s the city life like?

Swansea is a bit shabby and you will get attacked by seagulls. But living by the beach has it’s perks too, lots of outdoors activity in summer, there’s always lots going on. Wind Street is really good for nightlife and there’s something to do every day of the week, Swansea is big for drinkers and partygoers! There’s quite a few nice places to eat around Swansea and mumbles and the range of shops isn’t bad either.

Clubs and Societies
What are the clubs and societies like?

The sports teams are all absolutely mad! There’s so many different options so there’s something for everyone. Wednesdays often see clubs and societies out for their socials so they can have a family feel although some can be quite cliquey!

I’ve seen my tutor probably 3 times in my whole time at university. Some staff are really good at responding to emails others don’t even bother, it’s really the luck of the draw. Staff do have drop in hours which are really useful especially around deadlines and exams because it can be hard to reach them otherwise.

Shayan

Swansea University

Mechanical Engineering BEng (Hons)

Would highly recommend my course. However, there are some teething issues with bay campus. Lack of social and study spaces top the list. As well as being far away and a hassle to get to. That aside, loved going to university here and met some fantastic people. Lecturers and careers/other staff are brilliant and helpful. Get involved in sports/societies and it should be fine. Highly recommend visiting an open day, especially if you're on bay campus.

Konstantinos Samouilidis

Swansea University

Computer Science BSc (Hons)

Excellent and I'm not exaturating.yoy get to meet people with common interests ... come to Swansea it's great

EEthan

Marine Biology BSc (Hons)

Amazing, best experience of my life, wouldn't want to be at any other university. Swansea is not just my uni town its now my home. The people you meet are also awesome.

Alex Purdie

Marine Biology BSc (Hons)

Swansea university has changed my life for the better, I have no regrets coming to this uni and i truely belive it is a top notch university. The social life is fantastic and there is a great community.

Hugo Woodward-Rowe

Marine Biology BSc (Hons)

Couldn't ask for a better experience. Swansea Uni is the best decision I have and will ever make. The teaching is inspiring and the social side has changed my life forever.

Wedge Antilles

Marine Biology BSc (Hons)

my uni experience has been exciting and fun

Rhys John Burton

Swansea University

Materials Science and Engineering BEng (Hons)

A life changing experience. My first year could've been better and I was certainly very nervous at the start of term. I've hated exams. Really enjoyed living on my own and gaining Independence.

Caitlin Glover

Swansea University

I'm so glad I decided to study at Swansea as my experience has been amazing. The lecturers are extremely helpful, very knowledgeable and are always happy to help. I've had many opportunities such as participating in dance shows and winning a scholarship to study in Germany for a month, giving me an idea of what my year abroad will be like. The city has many things to offer from shopping to a night out, from going to a football or rugby match to spending time relaxing by the sea on the gorgeous beach at Swansea Bay. There are many jobs that students can do part time which balances well with their full time studies.

Safal Mestri

Chemical Engineering MSc

Awesome. I would love to continue my education here. It has been a great experience till now. I made so many friends from different cultures. I feel lucky that I got the opportunity to come here and study.

Rating summary