Student reviews of Swansea University

3,620 Swansea University reviews

• Swansea University
Chessie

Swansea University

Swansea University has been so much fun, I’ve made so many wonderful friends and had an amazing time. Sometimes I’ve wanted to tear my hair out with all the coursework and exams but I think it will be worth it once I graduate.

Compulsory Employability Module in 1st Year, optional industry placement module in 3rd Year, free advice from careers advisors with practice interviews, CV checking service, help setting up LinkedIn profile

The content is really interesting and some of the lecturers are amazing at making the content engaging, but the course organisation is very bad. There’s too many long lectures which are boring and you tend to switch off, and not enough seminars to really engage with the content and discuss ideas. The timetabling of coursework is also an issue as you can have no work to suddenly having lots due all at the same time, which can interfere with attendance as you’re constantly playing catch up. Communication about assessments can be a little confusing as lecturers tend to move the goal posts, or provide vague information about them.

What do you think of your Students' Union? If you don't get involved, why not?

They put on some really great events, although the packages and tickets seem to be very overpriced. we are also lacking a good student union bar/club, divas is really old and bad, definitely falling behind other unis here! The elections are really exciting but not sure if the officers actually get to implement many of their ideas, not sure how much sway they really have with the uni.

How good are your university’s facilities?

The uni actually has amazing facilities, we have a really good sports village and pool. Bay campus is brand new so everything looks amazing. Both libraries are a bit too small, especially the new bay one - looks good but not really fit for purpose. The same goes for the “great” hall, the capacity is far too small for a uni of this size so struggle for larger events such as freshers fair and graduation.

City Life
What’s the city life like?

Swansea is a bit shabby and you will get attacked by seagulls. But living by the beach has it’s perks too, lots of outdoors activity in summer, there’s always lots going on. Wind Street is really good for nightlife and there’s something to do every day of the week, Swansea is big for drinkers and partygoers! There’s quite a few nice places to eat around Swansea and mumbles and the range of shops isn’t bad either.

Clubs and Societies
What are the clubs and societies like?

The sports teams are all absolutely mad! There’s so many different options so there’s something for everyone. Wednesdays often see clubs and societies out for their socials so they can have a family feel although some can be quite cliquey!

I’ve seen my tutor probably 3 times in my whole time at university. Some staff are really good at responding to emails others don’t even bother, it’s really the luck of the draw. Staff do have drop in hours which are really useful especially around deadlines and exams because it can be hard to reach them otherwise.

Rashed

Electronic and Electrical Engineering, MPhil

I have had a lot of good moments in this university with students and staff it was always been there and helpful when i need support. The bay campus is absolutely beautiful where its right next to the beach which after lectures students go and enjoy the view

Charleigh

Swansea University

Ive loved university so far, other than my second year housing as the girls I live with have turned out to be not very nice. Make sure you surround yourself with positive people and people who are driven in life as they are much kinder to others it seems.

Jean-Louis

Swansea University

So far, I've had an amazing experience learning a lot of information and sharpening my current skillset. It has been a struggle to catch up with all of the other students as I'm a little bit older, but nonetheless, the tutor has really helped me with this. The welfare officers have also played a big part of helping me to settle into University life, so I'm eternally grateful for their support.

Elen

Swansea University

Superb. Made lots of new friends. Carmarthen campus is small and everyone knows each other which is good. There is plenty of support from seniors. I would definitely recommend Swansea university.

BR
Bethan Roberts

Swansea University

I love the university, I have made many friends through my course and societies. The beach and parks provide space to relax and de-stress and the city centre is great for food and shopping and also an amazing nightlife

Hermione

Swansea University

Very good, having an amazing time and don’t want to leave . Get involved as much as you can, as I do not think I got as involved as I could have which is disappointing but I have made lifelong friends

Megan

Swansea University

Great! Ive met new people and have had loads of opportunities with the university to take part in different events. I also find my course to be very interesting.

Ella

Swansea University

absolutely amazing, better than i imagined. I had previously been at another uni which i dropped out off, but Swansea made me feel so welcome and offers great things to everyone

Marylin

Swansea University

I really enjoy it and i made new friends. The university is really nice because everything in the campus is near by and the library is very good. Im having fun in general and im trying to make the most of it