Student reviews of Swansea University

Swansea University 2889 reviews

Timeline Article

University is so much better than i ever could have imagined, everyone should go to Swansea! It really couldn’t be better, the people are nice, the city's cool and the beach location is fantastic!

Timeline Article
Filter reviews

Shayan

Swansea University

Mechanical Engineering BEng (Hons)

Would highly recommend my course. However, there are some teething issues with bay campus. Lack of social and study spaces top the list. As well as being far away and a hassle to get to. That aside, loved going to university here and met some fantastic people. Lecturers and careers/other staff are brilliant and helpful. Get involved in sports/societies and it should be fine. Highly recommend visiting an open day, especially if you're on bay campus.

The course is generally well run, most lecturers make a good attempt to make lecturers interesting and fun. Inevitably there will be a few you will find very boring. Overall I like the teaching of the course. The course itself (mechanical engineering) appears to get more and more difficult each year. This, in my opinion, is a good thing. This is generally because the university is starting to fly up the tables and to adjust examinations are becoming more challenging. This makes our degrees worth more. Generally would recommend the course itself.

What do you think of your Students' Union? If you don't get involved, why not?

SU generally ok. I feel they have ruined varsity. In my first year you were able to take as many drinks as you wanted into the venue now they are just rinsing us for cash. They are able to get some good acts in but sometimes though. Generally the SU this year have done a poor job of integrating Bay Campus to Singleton. They have increased the bus fare and overall transport between campuses is poor.

How good are your university’s facilities?

On bay campus, facilities are excellent. However, there is a real need for more. Far more computer rooms and study spaces are required. From a social point of view bay campus is barren. The tiny 'pub' (52 degrees) is awful for a campus which is home to so many students (no club, no hang out area etc.). The tiny Tesco is awful regularly understocked and far too small, with ridiculous queues at lunch time. Generally poor food choice too. Overall, bay campus desperately needs more social and learning space. Singleton wise it should be fine, though it is a little run down. I believe some works are underway there though.

City Life
What’s the city life like?

Not a huge city. If you are able to settle in well (find friends) and play sports or have hobbies it should be fine. Very student run town I really enjoy being here. I can imagine there wouldn't be much to do if you aren't into sports and don't drink. Personally, I enjoy the size of the city. It's perfect for being a student.

Clubs and Societies

Chessie

Swansea University

Swansea University has been so much fun, I’ve made so many wonderful friends and had an amazing time. Sometimes I’ve wanted to tear my hair out with all the coursework and exams but I think it will be worth it once I graduate.

Konstantinos Samouilidis

Swansea University

Computer Science BSc (Hons)

Excellent and I'm not exaturating.yoy get to meet people with common interests ... come to Swansea it's great

EEthan

Marine Biology BSc (Hons)

Amazing, best experience of my life, wouldn't want to be at any other university. Swansea is not just my uni town its now my home. The people you meet are also awesome.

Alex Purdie

Marine Biology BSc (Hons)

Swansea university has changed my life for the better, I have no regrets coming to this uni and i truely belive it is a top notch university. The social life is fantastic and there is a great community.

Hugo Woodward-Rowe

Marine Biology BSc (Hons)

Couldn't ask for a better experience. Swansea Uni is the best decision I have and will ever make. The teaching is inspiring and the social side has changed my life forever.

Wedge Antilles

Marine Biology BSc (Hons)

my uni experience has been exciting and fun

Rhys John Burton

Swansea University

Materials Science and Engineering BEng (Hons)

A life changing experience. My first year could've been better and I was certainly very nervous at the start of term. I've hated exams. Really enjoyed living on my own and gaining Independence.

Caitlin Glover

Swansea University

I'm so glad I decided to study at Swansea as my experience has been amazing. The lecturers are extremely helpful, very knowledgeable and are always happy to help. I've had many opportunities such as participating in dance shows and winning a scholarship to study in Germany for a month, giving me an idea of what my year abroad will be like. The city has many things to offer from shopping to a night out, from going to a football or rugby match to spending time relaxing by the sea on the gorgeous beach at Swansea Bay. There are many jobs that students can do part time which balances well with their full time studies.

Safal Mestri

Chemical Engineering MSc

Awesome. I would love to continue my education here. It has been a great experience till now. I made so many friends from different cultures. I feel lucky that I got the opportunity to come here and study.

Rating summary