Student reviews of Swansea University

3,620 Swansea University reviews

• Swansea University
Shayan

Swansea University

Would highly recommend my course. However, there are some teething issues with bay campus. Lack of social and study spaces top the list. As well as being far away and a hassle to get to. That aside, loved going to university here and met some fantastic people. Lecturers and careers/other staff are brilliant and helpful. Get involved in sports/societies and it should be fine. Highly recommend visiting an open day, especially if you're on bay campus.

The course is generally well run, most lecturers make a good attempt to make lecturers interesting and fun. Inevitably there will be a few you will find very boring. Overall I like the teaching of the course. The course itself (mechanical engineering) appears to get more and more difficult each year. This, in my opinion, is a good thing. This is generally because the university is starting to fly up the tables and to adjust examinations are becoming more challenging. This makes our degrees worth more. Generally would recommend the course itself.

What do you think of your Students' Union? If you don't get involved, why not?

SU generally ok. I feel they have ruined varsity. In my first year you were able to take as many drinks as you wanted into the venue now they are just rinsing us for cash. They are able to get some good acts in but sometimes though. Generally the SU this year have done a poor job of integrating Bay Campus to Singleton. They have increased the bus fare and overall transport between campuses is poor.

How good are your university’s facilities?

On bay campus, facilities are excellent. However, there is a real need for more. Far more computer rooms and study spaces are required. From a social point of view bay campus is barren. The tiny 'pub' (52 degrees) is awful for a campus which is home to so many students (no club, no hang out area etc.). The tiny Tesco is awful regularly understocked and far too small, with ridiculous queues at lunch time. Generally poor food choice too. Overall, bay campus desperately needs more social and learning space. Singleton wise it should be fine, though it is a little run down. I believe some works are underway there though.

City Life
What’s the city life like?

Not a huge city. If you are able to settle in well (find friends) and play sports or have hobbies it should be fine. Very student run town I really enjoy being here. I can imagine there wouldn't be much to do if you aren't into sports and don't drink. Personally, I enjoy the size of the city. It's perfect for being a student.

Clubs and Societies
Rashed

Electronic and Electrical Engineering, MPhil

I have had a lot of good moments in this university with students and staff it was always been there and helpful when i need support. The bay campus is absolutely beautiful where its right next to the beach which after lectures students go and enjoy the view

Charleigh

Swansea University

Ive loved university so far, other than my second year housing as the girls I live with have turned out to be not very nice. Make sure you surround yourself with positive people and people who are driven in life as they are much kinder to others it seems.

Jean-Louis

Swansea University

So far, I've had an amazing experience learning a lot of information and sharpening my current skillset. It has been a struggle to catch up with all of the other students as I'm a little bit older, but nonetheless, the tutor has really helped me with this. The welfare officers have also played a big part of helping me to settle into University life, so I'm eternally grateful for their support.

Elen

Swansea University

Superb. Made lots of new friends. Carmarthen campus is small and everyone knows each other which is good. There is plenty of support from seniors. I would definitely recommend Swansea university.

BR
Bethan Roberts

Swansea University

I love the university, I have made many friends through my course and societies. The beach and parks provide space to relax and de-stress and the city centre is great for food and shopping and also an amazing nightlife

Hermione

Swansea University

Very good, having an amazing time and don’t want to leave . Get involved as much as you can, as I do not think I got as involved as I could have which is disappointing but I have made lifelong friends

Megan

Swansea University

Great! Ive met new people and have had loads of opportunities with the university to take part in different events. I also find my course to be very interesting.

Ella

Swansea University

absolutely amazing, better than i imagined. I had previously been at another uni which i dropped out off, but Swansea made me feel so welcome and offers great things to everyone

Marylin

Swansea University

I really enjoy it and i made new friends. The university is really nice because everything in the campus is near by and the library is very good. Im having fun in general and im trying to make the most of it