Royal Holloway, University of London

• Royal Holloway, University of London
SS
Shrijeet Shrey
First gen student

Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence) BSc (Hons)

What am amazing experience. The only place that actually feels like a University. Amazing teachers & peers. I have met all kinds of people here with all walks of life, which makes me feel so grateful to be able to understand the globe much better. The only part I've experienced so far was the strikes that affected a bit of study and that's it. I do not know how the decision makers up top think and take their decision so I cannot say much about the strikes itself.

DW
Diksha Walia

Digital Marketing MSc

While the campus location is ace and convenient. The lecture rooms have messed up heating and literally no plus to charge a laptop. If I ignore that. The course is good and professors are really good, so that makes the other inconveniences worth it.

V
Vimmal

Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence) BSc (Hons)

Lack of support for students from the lecturers regarding course content and exams

2 people found this helpful

AW
Arianna Weaving

Psychology, Clinical Psychology and Mental Health BSc (Hons)

Great courses and lectures. However had an issue with a housemate and the SU was very unhelpful and kept referring us to different departments rather than providing solutions

SF
Stephanie Flower
First gen student

Computer Science and Mathematics BSc (Hons)

Study support is generally good, but some courses are oversubscribed and you don't get great time with the lecturers. The social life is great on campus, the smaller size of the uni makes for a great tight-knit community feel.

Alex

Liberal Arts BA (Hons)

First off it is not in London, it is in Egham, a gloomy town in Surrey. The campus. while it is rather beautiful, has a lonely, empty feel and unless you immediately click with flatmates it is very difficult to make friends. Catered accommodation is not worth it, the food is absolutely awful and good luck trying to find anything healthy in the one over-expensive shop on campus. Oh and don’t try walking to tesco, a 20 minute slog up and down a massive hill is not something you want to be doing on a regular basis. Nights out are the same each time, they don’t bother with the “themes,” sticking to those cringe inducing remixed top chart tracks. A society I joined in hopes of making friends meets about once a month if I’m lucky. The students are always having petty arguments and no one seems to have any personality or independence. If you’re a bit different then it’s game over from the start. Sports are pretty good, teaching is pretty good, personal tutors are helpful and there are a few cats that wander around. Wellbeing isn’t much help, but it’s free I guess. Oh and one of my essays wasn’t marked because it was submitted an hour after the deadline and another because it was submitted a minute before? I have diagnosed ADHD that they are aware of but okay!! Yay zero. After six months at this uni I can safely say I absolutely detest the place and am relieved to be dropping out. Yes, I will take that hit to my reputation and CV because it is absolutely not worth damaging my mental health any further by staying in that wretched purgatory.

2 people found this helpful

JS
Jack Saunders

History, Politics and International Relations BA (Hons)

The campus is nice, and the professors are all very friendly and engaging. The campus has a great feel, especially in the summertime. However, the Students Union is a bit unorganised, and the campus location could be better.

KF
Kayleigh Fryer

Public History MA

The community atmosphere on campus is what made me choose Royal Holloway for my undergrad, and one of the reasons I stayed for my postgrad. Egham is only 40 minutes by train from Waterloo so it is super easy to get into London. The local area has a mixed feeling about students but generally are welcoming - particularly the pubs in Englefield Green. Campus facilities could be improved, there are a few inaccessible areas and buildings that are currently under review. The Students’ Union are excellent and provide a lot of job opportunities for students, I have worked in 2 separate roles for them throughout my university career. They also facilitate the 100+ student groups on campus, there is genuinely something to do for everyone. The SU and College are receptive to feedback and the academic feedback structure is very effective in linking students to academics to get their feedback across.

Nadia

Biomedical Sciences BSc (Hons)

The uni itself is great. The only problem is the staff at my college which constantly seems to have a problem with everything and does not not listen to the students at all.

OG
Oliver Godman

Biology BSc (Hons)

SU is too expensive, no local clubs except the SU. GP and well-being don't seem to care about students but academic staff are friendly and helpful, good atmosphere on campus , friendly peers. Overall really enjoyed my time but have heard bad stories from people who have gone to the on campus GP and well-being and the SU is incredibly overpriced, more expensive than local pubs.