Queen's University Belfast | Student Reviews

916 Queen's University Belfast reviews

• Queen's University Belfast
Srriya

Queen's University Belfast

It has somewhat been a weird experience to say the least? Being a first year uni student during covid hasn't been absolutely wonderful as you inevitably miss out on the vita "university experience" because I dont know how it is to be a university student while being one. I also feel as though international students have been neglected, not by Queen's but at national level. We were told to come over amd pay fees as there'd be some face to face learning but nothing promised was delivered and us international students are stranded here with high living costs that could have been avoided had the government or university had taken the initiative to think about all parties and ensure everyone's welfare!

Tara

Queen's University Belfast

Biological Sciences BSc (Hons)

My uni has tried their best to provide the best online learning experience which I appreciate was very difficult. Queens provided a good amount of mental health support with talks and advice pages.

Erin

Queen's University Belfast

French and Spanish BA (Hons)

I have actually really enjoyed my time at Queens despite being online for the majority of the time - I've still made plenty of friends and have really enjoyed my classes.

MSc Data Analytics

If I had the opportunity to receive a refund for the course and start it with another university, I would do so. This university is not providing value for money for this course, which is very negative when there is a big opportunity to recruit in this area. The School of Maths and Physics are not prepared to admit there are issues with the course, and from a personal perspective should not be leading this course within the University.

Eve

Queen's University Belfast

Zoology with Professional Studies BSc (Hons)

Honestly, if you're English (like me), don't go. In terms of the academic side of things, Queen's is ok at best, you'd be far better trying to get into literally any other Russel Group university if that's what you're aiming for. For me though the worst thing has been the social/cultural aspect. Belfast, in general, is a fun city with nice people etc., but the fact that the vast majority of the students are Northern Irish makes it hard. Many still live at home (so you won't meet them in uni accommodation, or for the rest of uni they will go home at the weekends) or simply stay in the friend groups they had at school as most of their friends also go to Queen's. The uni doesn't really put on any social events, yet another thing making it harder to meet fun people, or really do anything different from the weekly routine. I'm an outgoing, social person, so this has felt very lonely/boring for me. The culture at the uni is also very different, with people being generally a lot less open-minded, and less willing to explore new things in their uni years. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with this view, but having spoken to others (particularly other English people), I'm also not alone in this view.

Panayiota

MA Translation

Horrible. Not what i expected. The tuition was too high for what the course actually offered. As i wrote in the previous answer there were a lot of elements not working. I remember there was a meeting/workshop about video game localisation and the speaker kept speaking in Chinese because the majority of students were from China. It was like a big 'forget you' to the rest of the students.

Drama BA (Hons)

1st year was bad. Second year is class. The uni career service provides excellent support for those than want it and those then can benefit from it. I love the careers consults and student guidance team.

Drama BA (Hons)

Hated first year. Loving second year. Getting involved in things outside of the course is good. Going out and actually socialising is key even if it isn’t what you usually do

Cathy

Queen's University Belfast

Philosophy and Politics BA (Hons)

Poor. Might be the only person to go to uni and roundly Hagen it for the most part. Most students live at home and come from the same colleges so English students are not always welcomed and making friends has thus far proved impossible if not elusive. Lectures are ok but nothing exceptional. TA system is annoying as wexpected to be taught by experts not students. Support staff are very lovely though, they are the best part of university, and the grounds are lovely too.

Drama BA (Hons)

1st year was absolutely awful and possibly the worst year of my life. But 2nd year I’ve grown and got more friends and socialise and I’m just living more and loving living in Belfast. The course still feels part time but I can’t change that so I’m just trying to do my best and earn some money whilst I’m at it.