Open University | Student Reviews

53 Open University reviews

• Open University
29 Jun 16

Open University

I have studied 120 credits which are almost useless to me. I wanted to switch to a 'brick uni' onto year 2. But no university out of 5 will take my OU Credits and I feel I've wasted 2 years of my life. If I has known I would have taken an access to HE course or a couple of A levels though ICS for a fraction of the price.

07 Jun 16

Open University

MBA (Master of Business Administration)

The best thing about the course was the Tutors' help. However this was shaded by the fact any Open University employee, including the helpful tutors, hide from the students any details related to the extra fees that the Open University charge for things their marketing team spin as "features" of the OU. For example, if you fail an exam, and you are given the chance to re-sit the same exam, first of all, you are not able to choose dates or location of that exam, but most importantly, you have to pay a further fee, which might be a small percentage of the overall cost of the module, but for people who self finance their studies, might be an excessive extra cost, which would be best avoided. And this despite OU saying in the first Tutorial : "Don't worry, if you fail borderline, you will still be able to resit the exam for free...." Another example? OU market their "Bank your TMAs" feature as a unique feature of their courses. TMAs is the name of the continuous assessments ongoing to check that the units being studied throughout the module are being assimilated by the students. As most OU students work at the same time, there might be issues that cause the students to have little time to study. Examples of incidents happening in combination with moving home and not being able to study for longer than a month happened to me. Despite OU saying that you are able to keep the results of the TMAs (assessments) that students have already done for a module, what OU do not tell you is that you will need to pay for that feature. In terms of costs: if you think that the B716 module of the MBA cost in the region of £4500 for a one year module, if you have passed the first 3 TMAs, like I did, you will be asked to pay a further £3500 if you decided to interrupt your studies and start again in the next session. In my case I fought to continue and managed to get to the end, but with all the bad experiences I had with OU, I can only say that: Open University is the "Ryanair" of the Universities, with the great respect I have for Ryanair business and hoping I have not offended the other Universities by calling University the OU.

Open University

The OU has declined significantly over the years. The Law School in particular is incompetent and unhelpful. When you figure in the high cost of a Law degree through the OU, the product offered is a joke. Presenting an exam paper riddled with spelling mistakes as well as asking questions based on the wrong case names (from a completely unrelated area of law) is bad enough. Refusing to rectify the problem or even apologise to the students (whose futures will forever be negatively effected by their misconduct) is unforgivable. We were effectively told 'well that is unfortunate, however we suggest you try extra hard next year to mitigate your unfairly low mark from this module'. I am currently exploring the possibility of attending a regular Uni for my LLB, I would suggest anyone reading this to absolutely avoid the incompetent Open University Law school at all costs.

Open Degree (QD) BSc

Highly rewarding, but a real disappointment in the lack of recognition from employers. More universities should learn from the OU in the benefits of flexibility and online lectures. However, the OU's move away from textbooks is not welcomed.

Open University

Humanities (Q03) BA (Hons)

It has been a miserable esperience studying with the Open university. If you want your confidence to drop to minus zero then this is the place for you. I do regret having studied with them. I really do.

Open University

Natural Sciences (Q64) BSc (Hons)

Started another degree after studying at Aberystwyth to do something more analytical but couldn't afford to go back to University so this was the next best option. Overall very pleased with the helpfulness of the staff and the books provided. However, it isn't easy and you have to really be motivated and determined to make yourself work. If you are the sociable type, you may struggle. You can always meet people via the facebook groups and tutorials but of course, this doesn't really compare to meeting people daily in a red brick University though. This is a great alternative if you want a degree but don't want to or can't afford to go to University, or if you want to work full time and get a degree.

Open University

English Literature and Creative Writing BA (Hons)

The open university is an amazing uni. All materials are provided there are lectures still so you still get to interact and meet your tutors and fellow students. An all round great uno providing great support. A route most wouldn't think of choosing but I'd definately recommend.

The Arts Past and Present (AA100) Credits from The Open University

Course: Arts Past and Present A100. LOOK OUT FOR: (1) Hidden curriculum only emerging after payment has been made. (2) A pinickity, dictatorial approach to how to do things, benefiting only tutors/ administration, NOT the paying students. (3) Ridiculously short word limits on assignments designed only to keep down workload of tutors NOT support students. I just wanted to study History and Spanish to university level as part of my retirement, and this is what the OU led me to believe I could do UNTIL they had banked my fee of nearly £2632 for the first module. Then, out of the woodwork came all the other learning outcomes/ curriculum content linked to improving my writing skills and computer skills. Having to redraft assignments, explain why I had made (imposed) improvements on my work. I have no wish to improve either my writing or computer skills, and this is certainly NOT what I paid my money for. I would not have registered for this degree had the OU been more forthright in explaining this to me BEFORE they took my money. The university website is an absolute nightmare of complexity to negotiate, and students certainly require more than the stated computer and ISP to access it. Most written assignments have a 500/600 word limitation on them making it impossible to develop your own independent lines of thought and draw on examples and references. Independent thought is discouraged through this diktat. Finally, there is the near hysterical obsession with plagiarism. Yes, we know it's wrong; yes, we know it's theft and yes, as such it's a crime. But why do the world of academia consider themselves above using the same commonsense that ordinary people use in their daily lives ie. that if you don't want something stolen, don't leave it laying around- in this case on the internet, in libraries and shops? If you do, someone somewhere will steal it!! All in all, I find this university very self- serving in its agenda and policies and they charge students a chunky fee in order to deliver it. They need to stop protecting their own backs (and those of their tutors) and start treating their students as paying CLIENTS.

Engineering (M03) MEng

Great Uni, I studied the BEng and got offered a job for a graduate scheme on the first interview I attended after graduation. The OU is highly regarded amongst those who know what it is about, many of the people I studied with had completed prior degrees at other universities, and all preferred the Open Uni. You won't be spoon fed, and need to be self disciplined to study here, but you will reap the rewards.

28 Jul 14

Discovering Mathematics (MU123) Credits from The Open University

Awful experience. If I had another choice of university, I would switch but I am stuck with them as there are no other distant learning options for my course. When I enrolled I had help from an advisor. They gave me the wrong advice and signed me up for the wrong course. They also advised me that Iwould receive a certificate of higher education when I completely level 1, which isn't the case and now I am left without any job prospects for another 2 years. When I phoned up to switch module, the person removed me from the incorrect module and pathway before checking whether I could be enrolled for the correct one.. I couldn't, as the deadline had passed. They were not willing to do anything to try and resolve this problem. I then waited a year before I could do that module.. I wanted to get my degree completed within 3 years, but because of that screw up It will now take me 4. I am disabled and I was advised on the phone that all courses were suitable for my disability. My maths module started and it was only paper submission, despite me being told otherwise. The maths department resolved the problem and said I could email my assignment to my tutor. I was happy and confident I could complete my module with no other problems. But then the EMA came, and I couldn't find where to submit it electronically so I emailed them. They responded to me telling me that this was a paper submission only module and that I cannot submit any of the assignments electronically. In the end someone told me to write a statement about my disability and they would decide if I am disabled enough to submit it electronically. Now I have discovered my level 2 modules all have day schools. I have been messed around again and again and the OU won't even respond to my complaint.