Open University | Student Reviews

• Open University
KM
Kirsty McNeil

Open University

Apart from this last year overall the experience has been very good and enjoyable. I have learned a lot and enjoyed the challenges in completing coursework and exams. This has increased my confidence.

05 Jul 17

Open University

I would not recommend the OU to anyone, they are awful and dont care about the students, they are rude and unhelpful. They are like robots when asking something, they just say the same things to you over and over again. One person will tell you one thing and someone else will tell you another, it is confusing and frustrating

Open University

Really satisfied. Recommend it particularly if you are: 1. Currently working 2. Parent 3. Previous educational/ life experience You may struggle as a young or inexperienced student who needs more support.

Open University

I have had some very weird experiences, and some terrible tutors, but also some courses I have enjoyed, and some good tutors. My current tutor so far is one of the best I have encountered, hoping that this is a sign the OU are trying to improve tutor quality. The last two modules I took, the tutor was absolutely abysmal. I have disability and health problems, and this tutor would not give me a single word in lieu or either physical or the online (audio which I cannot access owing to disability) tutorials which were delivered via the module web site and refused to give me a single word for the physical day school despite that study support staff instructed him to.

Open University

Wish I had not wasted my time or money. If you have any cash travel the world and get life experiences. Don't waste your time with the OU or indeed any University.

Open University

I hate it with a passion. I regret ever signing up to the OU and have applied elsewhere hoping to transfer my credits, but these credits are worthless. There have been multiple mishaps on the Uni's part whilst completing my degree, that even caused me to transfer to another course or face resitting a year as they let me proceed without a prerequisite course without ever stating it was necessary for the 3rd year.

Open University

I have hated every minute of it. This is the only way I can continue to degree level without giving up my job. If I could have my fees back I would go to a bricks and mortar uni, honestly feel like this business has robbed me. Every year they get worse increasing fees and reducing benefits. I have felt support is non-existent and most the courses I do seem to have a copy and paste your weekly work to prove you have done it aspect.

Open University

First class. Couldn't fault the OU. I have been to bricks and mortar universities too and their quality of teaching and material doesn't come close to what the OU offer.

22 Aug 16

Open University

While most of my courses have been through the Faculty of Computing and Maths my experience has been very poor. I think that the quality of the courses have been shockingly bad. Poor quality control , outdated material and badly written. With the Open Uni you gain very little practical experience, if any. The Degree in no way prepares you for the real world of work. I would only recommend that you study through the OU if you already work in the field and just need a piece of paper to advance your career.

16 Aug 16

Open University

I never would have been able to do a degree without the Open Uni. It's done wonders for my confidence and made me realise what I am capable of. I used to think I wouldn't be smart enough to do a degree - but I have received a distinction for every module I have done so far and I hope to get a First eventually. I have studied the Biology pathway and it's been incredibly interesting and rewarding. I do feel that the University cares for us - however we do have to work to earn our grades. You need to be self-motivated and manage your time to achieve your goals - but then the whole point of this exercise is to train you for work in the real life, where you will need these skills anyway. You won't get spoonfed like many brick Uni's. However there is plenty of support for those who are willing to engage and be taught. You will need 8-16 hours a week to do part-time study, but honestly in the whole first year I could complete my weekly reading generally in under 8 hours. It get's a bit more difficult and time-consuming once you are in Level 2, but if you paid attention in Level 1 you will be fine. This is perfect for you if you're not bothered or don't need the personal development/social/(hardcore drinking) side of University and just want to work hard and learn. It worked for me.