Open University | Student Reviews

• Open University
OU
Open University is a Big Brother

Open University

Bad. Don't join. Join a university such as University of Manchester, University of London. They have the proper facility to help you. You will be only disappointed.

Ian

Open University

I'll be glad whens its over. The marking scheme has been particularly unfair. How people can get varying results when they all scored in the same bracket is deceitful. You also cannot challenge their academic judgement, so what you score is what you will ever get. Don't hope for any changes or revisions to your marked work.

SW
Sarz Wix
27 Aug 18

Open University

Brilliant. I have never been so proud as I was crossing the stage at my graduation. I left school with a bare minimum of GCSEs and no A levels, yet the O U managed to nurture my academic skills to the point that I was achieving first class grades by level 2. It is an amazing institution which does not deserve the negative nonsense being posted by others.

James
12 Aug 18

Open University

Very poor, the support is non-existent however you can always get s an extension to submit essays. The grading system is very complex and not student friendly in the slightest. To achieve a specific grade you must obtain the same in both TMA'S and EMA'S. Two years ago I gained an average of 94 in my final Spanish module but received 84 in the EMA which was probably an accurate reflection because I had suffered severe depression 3 weeks prior to submission. Because 85 is distinction I was awarded a grade 2 pass and despite supplying medical evidence to prove my illness this was not taken in to consideration to improve the grade. They had a point I should have informed them prior but when you are ill studying goes out of the window as did informing them. Very poor unsympathetic place of study and I would strongly people to go to a brick university rather than a cyber one because you do have better contact with staff.

Martin

Open University

Not worth the money, you are paying same as what you would pay in normal university and you get in return a set of PDFs + a box with books which no one will ever open in 2018. Super overpriced - this is the greatest business ever - margins must be huge

Jeremy

Open University

I feel that I need to defend the Open uni due to a lot of negative feedback on this site. I’ve studied with them since around 2011, they have improved massively in this time. I am always given my course materials weeks in advance, as well as assignment details and deadlines so I can just crack on at my own pace. I am a very good independent studied and very organised so do not need any regular support or help but when I have had contact with the tutors they have been very good. I think that the negative reviews come from people who require outside motivation and guidance, whereas I’m organised and happy to just get on with it and work things out for myself. Great experiences with them and always interesting subject matter. I’d recommend to people in similar situations, have children, run a business and not in a position to go to uni full time.

Sam

Open University

I have loved studying with the OU. It has opened doors for me and I have now secured a place on a PGCE course at a normal uni next year as a result. I have grown in confidence and independence and feel as though I have had a better experience than I did in my first year at normal uni. I would highly recommend it to everyone.

Matt

Open University

Absolutely love it. I work full time and have pretty good social and family life, so it can be hard to balance sometimes, especially when deadlines approach. The key is to be organised and prepared, something which I am still working on.

Rob

Terrible. Go elsewhere!

Open University

Awful. Would never have started it had I known. What a total waste of hours and hours of my life and loss of experiences. A degree with OU is not worth it. Go to real University or get an internship.