Open University | Student Reviews

53 Open University reviews

• Open University
Sam

Open University

The materials are good but unfortunately the tutors are really variable. Some tutors add extra requirements, some even go on holiday in the middle of studying, a lot of them are very slow at replying / marking and don't give much feedback. Worst of all is the fact that different tutors have different marking standards. In one module FB group all the students of one tutor were getting really low scores. The examples they gave of what they were being marked down for were things nobody else was. There are even people who've had a tutor make a mistake marking, admit it but refused to change it! After complaining the OU who corrected the mark but wouldn't change the tutor and they had to have their mark corrected for the remaining TMAs as the tutor disliked them. It's a shame because there are good tutors at the OU and the materials are good but when even people who recommend the OU say they've had a bad tutors it really should tell you everything. Tutors are the face of the OU to students, they really should prioritise them! From what I've read nearly all OU tutors are part time and not paid well which explains a lot. This is a side gig for them and while some go above and beyond there are others that don't care and/or are ill suited to being tutors. The OU has worse reviews than other unis for a reason. Yes, people complain more if they have a bad experience but that's true for other unis too and they don't suffer as many bad reviews. Even a lot of good OU reviews mention bad tutors! Kind of says it all doesn't it? There are other UK unis that offer distance learning and are flexible, don't make the same mistake I did, go to one of them instead!

Lilly

Open University

First and second year - wonderful. Final year - hell. The final year is the hardest by far, but it's impossible when the support is non-existent. This is further exacerbated when the module team makes mistakes with essay guidance and only fixes this when it's too late, forcing the majority of people to re-write their work. Your whole degree also hinges on your tutor. When you have a good and helpful tutor, it is enjoyable. However, there is every chance that you'll get an unhelpful and overly harsh tutor who won't help, won't answer questions and misleads you. Please, if you have any other options but this, take them!

Holly

Open University

I adore the Open University. I left college with AS levels because at that time I didn’t find it very interesting and I wanted to be working. I like the Open University because I’m fairly intelligent and can do a degree but didn’t have to have the previous qualifications to show that. As mentioned, you gain very good skills with the Open University as it takes more discipline to study distance learning. For myself, I want to do my Masters at a traditional University via distance learning and part of the application is showing you have the skills to do so. Learning to do this full time and work 37 hours a week has if anything made my skills seem that more impressive as many people wouldn’t consider doing both. The recommended time for full time study is 37 hours a week but I’ve never found it takes that long- maybe 6 hours for a week with all activities? Different people study differently however but I’ve still managed firsts so all is well. I love the OU and all it offers, with all the staff being brilliant.

John

Open University

Graduated in 2017 with a 1st class honours degree thanks to some excellent tuition with final module and got a significantly better job shortly after, so definitely worth the hard work. Overall, mostly very good courses, well taught and interesting so if you have the commitment to see it through, a very rewarding experience.

Open University

Waste of time and money. When it was first launched, the Open University was geared for mature students. Now, because of the influx of younger students not wanting to leave university with a huge debt (power to you, I have no issue with that), they seem to be employing tutor, whom in my experience, were there simply for the added income.

Open University

I'm current on level 2. Since starting with OU, I my anxiety has been helped a lot because of the confidence I've gained from meeting people, collaborating, realising I'm not as stupid as I'd first thought. I'm a mum of 5 and my husband works shifts, so studying with the OU has been great for me to concentrate on me and my own prospects whilst still carrying on with daily life. It gives me something positive and I actually look forward to studying... Most of the time, anyway! I've only encountered minor issues myself, including tutor's taking longer than the guided 10 working days to return marks on TMA's. Most have been considerate and have pre-warned us that it would be late, but every so often one comes along that is hard to get hold of. This puts a lot of us off being able to carry on studying properly as we need to know what we have to work on, but can't without our last TMA's feedback. This is minor though, doesn't happen often and is only really needed once we actually start our next TMA. Our tutors do have lives too, but a quick email to us, saying when we should expect it, would put our minds at rest a bit. Overall I'm so glad I'm with the OU. I left school before I had the chance to do my GCSE's and had to work straight away. I then had a view of myself that I was nothing, would never be able to achieve anything. This wasn't helped by toxic people and family I'd been around. Then at the age of 29, I'd cut those people out of my life and started doing things for me instead of waiting for others' approval. I have completely surprised myself and am doing really well. The OU weans you into learning nicely and you start to get a gauge for what you should be doing quite quickly. I honestly don't know what I'd do without the OU.

Oana

Open University

It's been a great 10 years, and I hope to get my second degree and a masters in Astronomy soon. Looking forward to my graduation ceremony (you only get one, and I wanted it to be for my Astronomy degree, not my business degree).

Nasrin

Open University

My university experience so far is good because I am able to complete all my assignments on time as well as gain essential transferable skills whilst doing so. Furthermore, the tutors support and the facilities is great. Overall, I have adjusted to university very well as I have made many friends and I am now an confident individual, who thrives to do my best in any situation which an open mind and a positive attitude.

Peter

Open University

really good, i find the material must easier to diguest and the formulas are better explained than i had in my first attempt at a normal uni. although losing weekends sucks.

Alison

Open University

I've been so chuffed with my experience so far! I'm only half way through but the support I've received has been so valuable. My employer at the interview was really impressed with my study with the OU and made me stand out against the other candidates so I got the job. I can study around my job and family so easily. All the help from the tutors and OU staff has helped my academic career beyond words. I think all the people moaning and leaving rubbish reviews have either got terrible scores because they didn't apply themselves or are simply too dim to get a degree. An OU degree is worth more than a traditional uni because it's down to yourself to earn it and show your determination, it's not handed to you on a plate. Pull up your big boy pants and study more. Its worrying that someone said that the OU is more expensive than a traditional uni- I hope that person wasn't studying maths because not one course is more expensive. So far I've saved around 8k and that's before all of the other living expenses of being a student of a brick uni. I'd recommend people do their own research before listening to that nonsense.