Student reviews of Open University

39 Open University reviews

• Open University

Open University

I'm current on level 2. Since starting with OU, I my anxiety has been helped a lot because of the confidence I've gained from meeting people, collaborating, realising I'm not as stupid as I'd first thought. I'm a mum of 5 and my husband works shifts, so studying with the OU has been great for me to concentrate on me and my own prospects whilst still carrying on with daily life. It gives me something positive and I actually look forward to studying... Most of the time, anyway! I've only encountered minor issues myself, including tutor's taking longer than the guided 10 working days to return marks on TMA's. Most have been considerate and have pre-warned us that it would be late, but every so often one comes along that is hard to get hold of. This puts a lot of us off being able to carry on studying properly as we need to know what we have to work on, but can't without our last TMA's feedback. This is minor though, doesn't happen often and is only really needed once we actually start our next TMA. Our tutors do have lives too, but a quick email to us, saying when we should expect it, would put our minds at rest a bit. Overall I'm so glad I'm with the OU. I left school before I had the chance to do my GCSE's and had to work straight away. I then had a view of myself that I was nothing, would never be able to achieve anything. This wasn't helped by toxic people and family I'd been around. Then at the age of 29, I'd cut those people out of my life and started doing things for me instead of waiting for others' approval. I have completely surprised myself and am doing really well. The OU weans you into learning nicely and you start to get a gauge for what you should be doing quite quickly. I honestly don't know what I'd do without the OU.

Oana

Astronomy and Planetary Science (S10) Certificate

It's been a great 10 years, and I hope to get my second degree and a masters in Astronomy soon. Looking forward to my graduation ceremony (you only get one, and I wanted it to be for my Astronomy degree, not my business degree).

Nasrin

Open University

MA Ed dissertation module, leadership and management (EE813) Credits from The Open University

My university experience so far is good because I am able to complete all my assignments on time as well as gain essential transferable skills whilst doing so. Furthermore, the tutors support and the facilities is great. Overall, I have adjusted to university very well as I have made many friends and I am now an confident individual, who thrives to do my best in any situation which an open mind and a positive attitude.

Peter

Engineering (F46) MSc

really good, i find the material must easier to diguest and the formulas are better explained than i had in my first attempt at a normal uni. although losing weekends sucks.

Alison

Investigating forensic psychology (DD802) Credits from The Open University

I've been so chuffed with my experience so far! I'm only half way through but the support I've received has been so valuable. My employer at the interview was really impressed with my study with the OU and made me stand out against the other candidates so I got the job. I can study around my job and family so easily. All the help from the tutors and OU staff has helped my academic career beyond words. I think all the people moaning and leaving rubbish reviews have either got terrible scores because they didn't apply themselves or are simply too dim to get a degree. An OU degree is worth more than a traditional uni because it's down to yourself to earn it and show your determination, it's not handed to you on a plate. Pull up your big boy pants and study more. Its worrying that someone said that the OU is more expensive than a traditional uni- I hope that person wasn't studying maths because not one course is more expensive. So far I've saved around 8k and that's before all of the other living expenses of being a student of a brick uni. I'd recommend people do their own research before listening to that nonsense.

OU
Open University is a Big Brother

Open University

Bad. Don't join. Join a university such as University of Manchester, University of London. They have the proper facility to help you. You will be only disappointed.

Ian

Open University

I'll be glad whens its over. The marking scheme has been particularly unfair. How people can get varying results when they all scored in the same bracket is deceitful. You also cannot challenge their academic judgement, so what you score is what you will ever get. Don't hope for any changes or revisions to your marked work.

SW
Sarz Wix
27 Aug 18

Open University

Brilliant. I have never been so proud as I was crossing the stage at my graduation. I left school with a bare minimum of GCSEs and no A levels, yet the O U managed to nurture my academic skills to the point that I was achieving first class grades by level 2. It is an amazing institution which does not deserve the negative nonsense being posted by others.

James
12 Aug 18

Open University

Very poor, the support is non-existent however you can always get s an extension to submit essays. The grading system is very complex and not student friendly in the slightest. To achieve a specific grade you must obtain the same in both TMA'S and EMA'S. Two years ago I gained an average of 94 in my final Spanish module but received 84 in the EMA which was probably an accurate reflection because I had suffered severe depression 3 weeks prior to submission. Because 85 is distinction I was awarded a grade 2 pass and despite supplying medical evidence to prove my illness this was not taken in to consideration to improve the grade. They had a point I should have informed them prior but when you are ill studying goes out of the window as did informing them. Very poor unsympathetic place of study and I would strongly people to go to a brick university rather than a cyber one because you do have better contact with staff.

Martin

Open University

Not worth the money, you are paying same as what you would pay in normal university and you get in return a set of PDFs + a box with books which no one will ever open in 2018. Super overpriced - this is the greatest business ever - margins must be huge