Open University | Student Reviews

53 Open University reviews

• Open University
Philip

Open University

Engineering (Q65) BEng (Hons)

all good, the course is well presented and interesting. Its also accredited by the relevant industry body which is reassuring. Add to that some practical experiences on residential courses and Im a happy bunny

Jade

Design and Innovation (Q61) BA/BSc

Pretty good but STRESSFUL I enjoy a lot of it. Content is good. However, you need to know what it is you are undertaking as juggling this with a job, social life and other commitments is challenging. Expect NO social life from this at all. Its very dull from that point of view. Probably not something to brag about because its not a "proper" uni. As long as I pass and can make something of my life then I guess it shall do.

Ash

Open University

Childhood and Youth Studies (Q23) BA (Hons)

My overall university experience so far has been great. I’ve really enjoyed the different tasks that I’ve had to do, the different people I’ve met and the new environment.

Sarah

Law (Q79) LLB (Hons)

Enjoyably, hard work however learning alot and get good constructive feedback and aid to progress within the course, good working life skills also taught. Very good standards

Aine

Open University

Criminology and Law BA (Hons)

Very hard to get motivated after doing a full days work and have to set aside stidy time and social time.It will be worthwhile at the end of the course when it is finished.

James

Open University

Environmental Science BSc (Hons)

HORRENDOUS. YOU WORK HARD, YOU GET THE COURSEWORK DONE TO HIGH STANDARD AND ITS FAILED WITHOUT EXPLANATION. I'M 30 YEARS OLD AND TRYING TO FORM A CAREER WITH A DEGREE. I'VE BEEN STUDYING 7 YEARS FULL TIME AND HAVE 480 UNIVERSITY CREDITS TO MY NAME. NEITHER THE OPEN UNIVERSITY OR ANY OTHER UNIVERSITY WILL RECOGNIZE THESE CREDITS, BUT THEY DO RECOMMEND MORE AND MORE COURSES COSTING THOUSANDS AND YEARS MORE WORK. COMPLETE AND UTTER SCAM.

Daniel

Open University

Overall the experience is terrible. I honest wish I'd never started studying again, and debate quiting every year, but never can due to the time I've already invested.

Axel

Open University

Like most universities, you'll get out what you put in. If you just read the books and don't take part in the forums, the societies, the meetups, the careers service, the online activities, or any of the other stuff then no, it won't feel worth it. If you don't spend time on the tutor forums discussing the material further in the lead up to the online tutorials, then no, there won't be anything extra to cover. If you think that it's going to be easy because it's an online degree and all you'll need to do is read a pdf for a couple of hours a week, then you're in for an absolute reckoning. But if you work hard, meet new people, and fully engage with everything the OU has to offer? It's an incredibly enriching experience. The flexibility and support for those of us in full-time work is phenomenal. The modules I've done so far have all had lively online communities behind them and amazing personal support from my tutors. It's not going to be the same experience as a brick university, but that's why I've enjoyed it so much. I had such a good experience that I'm returning to do a second degree once I finish my ACA. For fun. :)

Naomi

Open University

Natural Sciences BSc (Hons)

Awful. With the exception of the actual course content, which is average /sometimes good and sometimes dull or irrelevant. They got rid of 10, 20 and most 30 credit courses, making study impractical for most of their potential students. The whole thing is a farce.

Miss

Open University

Are all the positive reviews on here relating to the OU made up by staff? There is something off about the comments... About to commence studying a degree with them and after reading all of these reviews (5* ones included), I am scared I must say. I was excited to begin studying, now I feel deflated, with a puncture.