780 Newman University, Birmingham reviews

• Newman University, Birmingham
Ross

Newman University, Birmingham

Business Management BA (Hons)

My experience so far is one of pride that I have been able to be apart of my university. The dedication and hard work that has been put into my two years so far has allowed me to succeed in many ways, as well as increasing my self-development skills. The university is a great place to study and I would suggest it to anyone.

zoey

Newman University, Birmingham

Theology and Philosophy BA (Hons)

When I first began my studies at Newman University I was accepted onto the Business Management degree. I realised within the first two weeks of this degree that it was not suitable for my skills and career progression. The assistance I received from the university in changing degrees was professional and helpful. The transition process into the Theology degree was efficient and I was impressed with the support from the head of Theology and the rest of the staff in the department. During my time at Newman university, I experienced many hardships including financial and mental health concerns, the support I received from the student support services was exceptional. In the second year of my degree, I had strong feelings towards committing suicide, out of fear of my thoughts and emotions I turned to my doctor and student report for help. The assistance I received from my GP and student support helped to cast out the dark thoughts and feelings I was suffering from. The mentorship program offered by student support permitted further guidance in completing my degree. The mentor I was matched with, in my final year was phenomenal in keeping my spirits high and making me feel confident with my studies and my abilities. Due to the community spirit of the university and the professionalism of the staff, my future is brighter than ever and I owe it all to those who stepped in and helped to save my life and my future.

Chloe

Newman University, Birmingham

Working with Children, Young People & Families BA (Hons)

I have chosen a 4 out of 5 because, although I chose to study from home which has been challenging and hard when keeping motivated and engaged in the work, I was able to still be apart of lessons with being at least 2 and a half hours away from Newman University. However, I still missed the class environment of being able to be with my peers and discuss more in person, I understand that due to covid that wasn't possible. Also, I believe that without some of the support I was able to receive from some lecturers and my counsellor I was able to feel more involved and happy, but this year has been very different for so many students it's not easy to compare to previous years as it's not how education and assignments would have normally taken place. I think I knocked my score down due to my personal experience of feeling a bit disengaged with the work itself which then effected my motivation, but thanks to being able to ask questions to the relevant people I was able to be on track.

Beth

Newman University, Birmingham

Primary Education (5-11) (with recommendation for QTS) FD Progression BA (Hons)

Overall Newman University has done their best to support students over the academic year. It was a real shame students were not allowed to work together and collaborate as peers in person. I think that this has really impacted some students time at University as it can be very lonely and daunting studying alone. However, on the whole staff were supportive and understanding. Most staff provided opportunities and resources to allow students to study effectively from home during lockdown. In regards to value for money, as students have not had access to the same facilities and experiences as usual I understand students frustration as to why the fee is the same as previous years in which they had the full university experience.

shakira

Newman University, Birmingham

Studies in Primary Education BA (Hons)

So far I am enjoying my experience at Newman University. I feel as though I have learnt a lot. My lecturers are always keen to help me. If I have any issues with my work I often tend to email my lecturers and they respond back quickly with useful information.

Newman University, Birmingham

Counselling Studies and Working with Children, Young People & Families BA (Hons)

I must say that I have really improved, I am progressing well. My communication skill is getting better, my organization skill is also improving. I am getting more confident day by day and I am really impressed with myself. I have learnt alot.

Rachel

Newman University, Birmingham

PGCE Secondary Biology (QTS)

Given that it was severely disrupted by the pandemic, I feel it was a good experience overall and would recommend the uni. It would have been nice to have made use of the campus facilities as they looked great on our single day physically at uni, particularly given tuition fees, as unfortunately due to the pandemic our lectures were all on Zoom despite being a practical based course (teacher training), and to have been able to meet other students in person. However, the lectures were useful, tutors were supportive and I had a great placement school. I think in a 'normal' year the experience would be even better.

Samina

Newman University, Birmingham

Business Management (top-up) BA (Hons)

I found the teachers very helpful and didn't get the chance to attend my lectures because of COVID 19. I found it difficult to understand the work and would prefer attending lectures. Overall I've managed to complete my course and waiting for foe my results.

Elizabeth

Newman University, Birmingham

Primary Education (5-11) (with recommendation for QTS) BA (Hons)

I have enjoyed the opportunities to get to know others on my course and hearing shared experiences regarding primary education and I enjoy hearing my tutors previous teaching experiences which gives me an insight in each subject area for primary teaching, feedback is very detailed when receiving assignments and feedback. This helps me to continue in to next year with more detail and support to improve academic writing further.

shaunna

Newman University, Birmingham

PGCE Secondary Religious Education (QTS)

I have really enjoyed the year at uni, tutor has made some very difficult decisions but they are always the right ones. She does her job very well and it has been a pleasure to have her guidence this year. The only downfall was due to the covid restrictions I do not believe that the university teaching side has been made good value for money as there has been no face to face teaching, while I accept and agree that it is out of their control and they have done the best they can with the restrictions, I do believe it has hindered some peoples success. Technical issues being one of them.