Student reviews of Loughborough University

EC
Elspeth Cornell
24 Jun 18

Loughborough University

Psychology with Criminology BSc (Hons)

Overall Loughborough has been an absolutely amazing experience. I have loved the past two years here and am so excited to continue my journey for another year!

The option of a placement year is what originally attracted me to Loughborough. They have been so helpful in helping everyone secure a placement and frequently send out emails of interesting options. The career fairs have opened up pathways that I didn't know existed and have led to really great opportunities.

I really enjoy the broad range of specialities across all of my lecturers. Knowing that they're teaching about something that they are passionate about and a field that they are contributing to is really inspiring and offers unique perspectives. However, sometimes the size of lectures or lecture halls can be irritating. Some lectures involve over 250 students and can get cramped and hot and easily distracting. Although most modules also involve smaller group seminars which is useful.

What do you think of your Students' Union? If you don't get involved, why not?

The student union at loughborough is brilliant. Through societies, I have made friends for life and it has really shaped my experience here. The volunteering options also look great on CV's.

Accommodation
If you live in university halls or private housing, what is your accommodation like?

I live in one of the halls in the village for two years and have absolutely loved it! Catered halls is definitely a great option- it saves so much stress around exam times. Originally I was gutted that I couldn't get an en-suite and was given a shared bathroom but it hasn't been an issue at all. Overall, a great experience!

How good are your university’s facilities?

The facilities are all really good and well maintained.

City Life
What’s the city life like?

The town has everything you need. The clubs are decent and there are some really great restaurants and shops. Nottingham and Leicester aren't far away but I definitely didn't go there as much as I thought I would.

Clubs and Societies
What are the clubs and societies like?

Really brilliant- societies are definitely one of the best parts of Loughborough for me and where I have made friends for life.

Meng-Chang

Construction Project Management MSc

Excellent university. Students are the top customers served by university staffs. However, international speeches are not as well as the top 100 universities. In the long term, the university should invest more in them.

Hannah

Loughborough University

Industrial Design and Technology BA (Hons)

I have loved my experience at Loughborough so far, when I talk to my friends from Home who go to universities across the country, they really do not understand how my University experience can be so great compared to theirs. Loughborough really tries its hardest not to make its students feel alone or isolated, which is so important as university can be a very lonely place if you are not given the opportunities to get involved.

Rachel

Physics BSc (Hons)

I have thoroughly enjoyed by 3 years here. I have been involved in a AU sports club by playing and being on committee. I have enjoyed my course a lot as it is so varied and lecturers are always there to provide support. The location is great with a large campus on the edge of town.

Olivia

Loughborough University

Politics and International Relations BA (Hons)

I have loved Loughbourgh so much and I wouldn't change my university ever! I have met amazing people through so many different avenues. The sport, teaching and place itself is amazing and I would strongly recommend considering it!

Georgia

Loughborough University

Sport and Exercise Science BSc (Hons)

Very good, very fun and experiences a lot of new things. Teaches you how to be independent and self-sufficient, cook for yourself and organise your time. Get involved in as many activities as possible to make as many friends as you can

CC
Cameron Carroll

Loughborough University

Sports Technology BEng (Hons)

Very good just wish the union wasn't as snowflakey and actually listened to the students. Teaching on the whole is good and very knowledgeable. Don't stay in halls for more than a year!

Robbie

Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences PhD

As an international, it's been fantastic. I can't ask for better. The floor I'm on has a good blend of internationals as well so I don't feel like an alien here. I get amazing support from my supervisors, and I've been provided every opportunity to succeed. I'd whole heartedly recommend this university for PhD studies - assuming the supervisor/student fit is good.

DC
Daniel Clark

Mathematics BSc (Hons)

I enjoy myself daily as there’s always something to do, I keep myself busy through the clubs/societies the uni hold and the union st nights out are AMAZING. Love it

Kate

Loughborough University

Amazing, love getting involved in volunteering through my hall and union aswell as student ambassador having a flexible well paif job, lubrsry ihas a bast collectin, u