Student reviews of Loughborough University

Loughborough University 1399 reviews

WINNER – UNIVERSITY OF THE YEAR 2018
Timeline Article

"I’ve had the absolute time of my life so far, the year has gone so quickly and I’ve met so many like-minded and amazing people here. I can’t wait to come back for a second year and I never want the experience to end!"

Timeline Article
Filter reviews

George Hones

Loughborough University

English Literature BA (Hons)
22 Jun 18

Overall, I have loved it. It's an environment I was given the chance to flourish and improve myself. It was the best four years of my life. for sure. The atmosphere and lifestyle was great. I received so much support throughout my studies and made so many friends for life. Would recommend to absolutely everyone.

The Careers Network provides any students with CV training, skills workshops and interview help. Whilst I personally never used them, I knew the option was there. Loughborough offers so many opportunities for improving one's employability and the SU provides hundred of different avenues to boost these skills. The Graduate Fairs were fairly Engineering/Business focused, but since I left I have seen more events aimed at recruitment for the Arts.

The teaching of my course was great - the lecturers were all very warm and welcoming. The structure of a large lecture then seminar meant I had plenty of opportunity interact with other students and staff and give valuable input to group discussions and work. The course was coursework only, which I loved. Exams were never my strong suit so being given the chance to spend extended periods of time on an assessment was helpful and enjoyable. I enjoyed some modules much more so than others which is down completely to my personal preference. I stayed on to complete a postgraduate degree due to my love of the subject and the support I had at Loughborough.

What do you think of your Students' Union? If you don't get involved, why not?

Can not fault it. LSU offers thousands of chances to get involved, meet new friends and better yourself through extra curricular activities. It has the best student-led volunteering organisation in the UK, the best fundraising, nationally recognised media and socieites as well as being part of the UK's most successful sporting university in history. The night-time entertainment was often great. The bars are well priced and there's a number of different clubs within the building so something for everyone. During my studies LSU gave me confidence, experience and friends for life. I could not fault it.

Accommodation
If you live in university halls or private housing, what is your accommodation like?

My accommodation was exceptionally well-presented and welcoming. I lived self catered with an en suite and double bed, and was incredibly happy with my accommodation through three years of living in halls. The rooms were spacious and well-designed, with plenty of storage and work space. The kitchen was high quality and the cleaning staff were great. The communal atmosphere in halls was second to none. I rarely had any issues with heating/electricity/water, though the wifi would sometimes drop (and be resolved quickly.)

How good are your university’s facilities?

Top notch. The campus is huge, with a great communal atmosphere and everything you could ever need. The free transport makes getting around so easy. The university is constantly undergoing work to improve their buildings, and have just opened a £20 million STEMLab. The teaching facilities are excellent, as are the social spaces such as food outlets and bars etc. A really enjoyable place to be.

City Life
What’s the city life like?

The city can be quite quiet, something I enjoyed but also something I imagine some people could get quite bored with. It has everything a large city can have however, including hundreds of bars and restaurants, two cinemas, plenty of activities and high street shops etc. The town is dominated by students, so during summer holidays and Chirstmas etc it is fairly quiet. It's great value - cheap and cheerful but also plenty of higher end options if that's what you like. I've loved living here but must admit it does not have the draw or as much going on as a city like Leicester or Nottingham.

Clubs and Societies
What are the clubs and societies like?

Hundreds of each, with so much diversity and chances to get involved. Really nice to see the number of cultural and faith societies that help to make the environment quite inclusive. Furthermore, there are clubs for literally every hobby I can think of, as well as chances to volunteer abroad and in the community. Really top of the range options and absolutely something for everyone.

The support was always great when I asked, though there was a long period where I did not have a personal tutor due to circumstances which took them away from the university (through no fault of their own.) I was very happy to crack on, so rarely needed much help. However, those that did were always quite complimentary of the support. In terms of pastoral care, I think the uni does a great job but at times it was obvious how stretched the service was with thing like waiting times. I did actually use a service in my third year and they were really helpful.

My

Advanced Computer Science MSc
30 Jul 18

It was quite the good experience! I made plenty of friends. It was quite the good experience! I made plenty of friends. It was quite the good experience! I made plenty of friends. It was quite the good experience! I made plenty of friends.

Joan Doe

Loughborough University

Graphic Communication and Illustration BA (Hons)
21 Jul 18

I grew significantly as a person, but not as an artist. Rubbish teaching, but great friends and a positive university life. A lot of the reviews here are from students who had just begun the course, still idealistic and excited for what they thought was to come. Since talking to them at graduation, most are disappointed. The work the university shows off are all things we taught ourselves through books that weren't even on the reading list. Nothing is taught in detail, other the hundreds of amazingly useful techniques that exist in design/illustration theory, you learn none of them. You come away feeling like nothing substantial was gained. You see what other courses are doing and are hit with the dawning realisation that you have been conned. You take optional modules in other schools, actually learn something, and it feels alien. Loughborough's student experience outside of academia is excellent. But was it worth this dud of a course? I'm not sure.

Elspeth Cornell

Loughborough University

Psychology with Criminology BSc (Hons)
24 Jun 18

Overall Loughborough has been an absolutely amazing experience. I have loved the past two years here and am so excited to continue my journey for another year!

Alex Jones

English BA (Hons)
22 Jun 18

Best four years of my life, easily. I've made so many friends and had so many unique opportunities that I don't think I could have had anywhere else. Loughborough 100% deserves all its praise.

Georgia

Loughborough University

It hasn't been great if I say so myself. There have been countless times I have considered quitting because the people I have been exposed to are not very friendly both in my hall and on my course. I've never had trouble making friends, but not everyone is chatty or confident, the university is mostly aimed at extroverts, which is a shame. I often wish I went somewhere else instead, I just can't fit in and it feels like I'm making a mistake. I just want my degree to be over, Loughborough isn't as amazing as everyone says it is.

Loughborough University

Electronic and Electrical Engineering BEng (Hons)

it has been alright, could be better. The facilities are great, getting around campus is relatively easy. It can be hard finding people to fit in with because it is a predominantly white university.

Kamal

International Business MSc

It is really good, but not as much as I expected it to be. I was very disappointed with the teaching quality in some modules and I felt they are really poor in content and a waste of money. Also, international students do not enjoy as much as locals do. Personally, I found it quite difficult to blend in with the British culture and values, and to make British friends, despite many efforts. In terms of facilities, services and support offered, it is fantastic!

William Obiri-Danso

Loughborough University

Electronic and Computer Systems Engineering BEng (Hons)

It's been great so far, haven't had many problems coming here, everyone is quite friendly, I've gotten involved in societies and my hall activities, what more could you ask for?

Harry Collier

Loughborough University

Accounting and Financial Management BSc (Hons)

Wouldn't change much, its been an incredible time, the nightlife is diverse throughout the week with special guests quite regularly and you can feel safe in where you are, the day time is equally faultless, can get a bit boring being in a small town but there are larger places not far away

Rating summary