Student reviews of Loughborough University

GH
George Hones
22 Jun 18

Loughborough University

English Literature BA (Hons)

Overall, I have loved it. It's an environment I was given the chance to flourish and improve myself. It was the best four years of my life. for sure. The atmosphere and lifestyle was great. I received so much support throughout my studies and made so many friends for life. Would recommend to absolutely everyone.

The Careers Network provides any students with CV training, skills workshops and interview help. Whilst I personally never used them, I knew the option was there. Loughborough offers so many opportunities for improving one's employability and the SU provides hundred of different avenues to boost these skills. The Graduate Fairs were fairly Engineering/Business focused, but since I left I have seen more events aimed at recruitment for the Arts.

The teaching of my course was great - the lecturers were all very warm and welcoming. The structure of a large lecture then seminar meant I had plenty of opportunity interact with other students and staff and give valuable input to group discussions and work. The course was coursework only, which I loved. Exams were never my strong suit so being given the chance to spend extended periods of time on an assessment was helpful and enjoyable. I enjoyed some modules much more so than others which is down completely to my personal preference. I stayed on to complete a postgraduate degree due to my love of the subject and the support I had at Loughborough.

What do you think of your Students' Union? If you don't get involved, why not?

Can not fault it. LSU offers thousands of chances to get involved, meet new friends and better yourself through extra curricular activities. It has the best student-led volunteering organisation in the UK, the best fundraising, nationally recognised media and socieites as well as being part of the UK's most successful sporting university in history. The night-time entertainment was often great. The bars are well priced and there's a number of different clubs within the building so something for everyone. During my studies LSU gave me confidence, experience and friends for life. I could not fault it.

Accommodation
If you live in university halls or private housing, what is your accommodation like?

My accommodation was exceptionally well-presented and welcoming. I lived self catered with an en suite and double bed, and was incredibly happy with my accommodation through three years of living in halls. The rooms were spacious and well-designed, with plenty of storage and work space. The kitchen was high quality and the cleaning staff were great. The communal atmosphere in halls was second to none. I rarely had any issues with heating/electricity/water, though the wifi would sometimes drop (and be resolved quickly.)

How good are your university’s facilities?

Top notch. The campus is huge, with a great communal atmosphere and everything you could ever need. The free transport makes getting around so easy. The university is constantly undergoing work to improve their buildings, and have just opened a £20 million STEMLab. The teaching facilities are excellent, as are the social spaces such as food outlets and bars etc. A really enjoyable place to be.

City Life
What’s the city life like?

The city can be quite quiet, something I enjoyed but also something I imagine some people could get quite bored with. It has everything a large city can have however, including hundreds of bars and restaurants, two cinemas, plenty of activities and high street shops etc. The town is dominated by students, so during summer holidays and Chirstmas etc it is fairly quiet. It's great value - cheap and cheerful but also plenty of higher end options if that's what you like. I've loved living here but must admit it does not have the draw or as much going on as a city like Leicester or Nottingham.

Clubs and Societies
What are the clubs and societies like?

Hundreds of each, with so much diversity and chances to get involved. Really nice to see the number of cultural and faith societies that help to make the environment quite inclusive. Furthermore, there are clubs for literally every hobby I can think of, as well as chances to volunteer abroad and in the community. Really top of the range options and absolutely something for everyone.

The support was always great when I asked, though there was a long period where I did not have a personal tutor due to circumstances which took them away from the university (through no fault of their own.) I was very happy to crack on, so rarely needed much help. However, those that did were always quite complimentary of the support. In terms of pastoral care, I think the uni does a great job but at times it was obvious how stretched the service was with thing like waiting times. I did actually use a service in my third year and they were really helpful.

Meng-Chang

Construction Project Management MSc

Excellent university. Students are the top customers served by university staffs. However, international speeches are not as well as the top 100 universities. In the long term, the university should invest more in them.

Hannah

Loughborough University

Industrial Design and Technology BA (Hons)

I have loved my experience at Loughborough so far, when I talk to my friends from Home who go to universities across the country, they really do not understand how my University experience can be so great compared to theirs. Loughborough really tries its hardest not to make its students feel alone or isolated, which is so important as university can be a very lonely place if you are not given the opportunities to get involved.

Rachel

Physics BSc (Hons)

I have thoroughly enjoyed by 3 years here. I have been involved in a AU sports club by playing and being on committee. I have enjoyed my course a lot as it is so varied and lecturers are always there to provide support. The location is great with a large campus on the edge of town.

Olivia

Loughborough University

Politics and International Relations BA (Hons)

I have loved Loughbourgh so much and I wouldn't change my university ever! I have met amazing people through so many different avenues. The sport, teaching and place itself is amazing and I would strongly recommend considering it!

Georgia

Loughborough University

Sport and Exercise Science BSc (Hons)

Very good, very fun and experiences a lot of new things. Teaches you how to be independent and self-sufficient, cook for yourself and organise your time. Get involved in as many activities as possible to make as many friends as you can

CC
Cameron Carroll

Loughborough University

Sports Technology BEng (Hons)

Very good just wish the union wasn't as snowflakey and actually listened to the students. Teaching on the whole is good and very knowledgeable. Don't stay in halls for more than a year!

Robbie

Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences PhD

As an international, it's been fantastic. I can't ask for better. The floor I'm on has a good blend of internationals as well so I don't feel like an alien here. I get amazing support from my supervisors, and I've been provided every opportunity to succeed. I'd whole heartedly recommend this university for PhD studies - assuming the supervisor/student fit is good.

DC
Daniel Clark

Mathematics BSc (Hons)

I enjoy myself daily as there’s always something to do, I keep myself busy through the clubs/societies the uni hold and the union st nights out are AMAZING. Love it

Kate

Loughborough University

Amazing, love getting involved in volunteering through my hall and union aswell as student ambassador having a flexible well paif job, lubrsry ihas a bast collectin, u