Leeds Conservatoire | Student Reviews

140 Leeds Conservatoire reviews

• Leeds Conservatoire

Leeds Conservatoire

Music (Production) (BA) BA (Hons)

To be honest, going to LCoM was a mistake. It would be unfair to blame my bad experience entirely on the university, as many contributing factors came from my life beyond university, but I felt that were was an extreme lack of support from the SU and no guidance at all was provided in terms of meeting people and making friends at LCoM. This led to social isolation, which became a major issue for me. Very little contact hours and irrelevant topics being taught on the Music Production course led to extreme disillusion in regard to the course, which thus led to my transfer to a new university in a different city. Furthermore, the lack of activities and things to do in Leeds also contributed to the reason why I not only transferred to a new university, but also moved to a new, more exciting Northern city in the process. The place I am in now in comparison to where I was when I lived in Leeds is an extreme opposite.

Leeds Conservatoire

Music (Popular Music) BA (Hons)

After studying at LCoM for not that long, I gained an insightful view as to what it would be like if I stayed on for next 3 years. I would be spending a lot of money to do this course, and then I would not have any prospects for when I'd finish, unless I wanted to become a teacher, or to try and 'make it' with my "band" and do a bar job on the side - just not that realistic. Additionally, I would probably have better luck creating a band as a hobby at a really good Russell Group University, and doing a more academic degree, so I would actually coming out with a job at the end of it. However, I did think the social aspect was brilliant and met some great people, although I was paying to do the course, and just couldn't imagine myself getting anywhere after those 3 years with a 'Popular Music' degree - which is also given by the University of Hull. Unless your 100% sure you want to end up in the music industry for life (as your degree does shape your future), then look elsewhere and carry on doing your music as your hobby, not your profession.

Leeds Conservatoire

Music (Business) BA (Hons)

I have loved being at Leeds College of Music. I have learnt a lot about myself and gained some great knowledge from the lecturers. What I'd say if you are planning to study Music Business looking to progress properly into the business is NETWORK as much as possible.

01 Aug 16

Leeds Conservatoire

Music (Jazz with Popular) BA (Hons)

I have just finished. I was there for 5 years rather than 3 as a result of nerve damage in my left arm. The experience was a great learning curve for me, but was largely very negative. I came with a great sense of trust in that the tutors would all be great and I would be helped every step of the way with the music I was making but this was not the case. You will be told if there is something you are doing musically that a teacher doesn't agree with. If you are going to study here, start a band, write songs, whatever. For 3 years, do this, work hard and use the facilities and meet the people you need to meet. But I would say don't go to lectures, don't listen to the majority of teachers and your peers and if you have a strong idea and interest in what you are trying to do as a musical person the you will be fine. Don't go to Leeds College of Music!! Move to Leeds, go to Leeds university, study something that won't use up all your time, and start a band with like minded people! (this is from the perspective of a pop/rock/jazz guitarist and producer).

Leeds Conservatoire

Music (Production) (BA) BA (Hons)

Even if they were charging £1000 a year, as opposed to nine times that. I would still feel I wasn't getting my money's worth. If you don't like writing and would prefer to do your 'essays' in video form, where you still have the same marking scheme as those that write essays, come to LCoM. If you want an easy, dreary degree, come here. If you don't want emails back, come here. If you want lecturers contradicting each other on what to do for your assignments come here. The list goes on, but alas I'm boring myself, as I'm sure I'm boring you now as well. I realise I have been harsh, but if you expect the above from a university, this isn't really the place for you. (Pretty sure LCoM also came last in a recent poll on student satisfaction, lol)

Leeds Conservatoire

Music (Popular Music) BA (Hons)

My time at lcom has been brilliant. Best thing I've done, met the best friends i could have hoped for and learned a lot. I feel like i am twice the musician i was when i came.

Music (Jazz) BA (Hons)

My experience was not what I expected it to be, I expected to feel like a student but nothing really settled until arriving in 2nd year. It takes time to settle and work out the rhythm of student life.

Music (Jazz) BA (Hons)

As a final year student, my time has gone by so fast and I would gladly do this all again. Teaching is excellent, I've met some friend for life and have gained new experiences along the way.

Leeds Conservatoire

Music (Classical) BA (Hons)

I think LCoM is the weakest all conservatoires for classical students in regards to the learning content and delivery of subjects. I do find it has a much more relaxed atmosphere and tutors do not over exert you as I have experienced in other conservatoires.

Music (Jazz) BA (Hons)

I have made a close group of friends and have discovered aspects of what is expected and why, with the future careers in mind, the work set is designed as it is. Musical training hours are extremely low when compared with the vast amount music students are paying. Furthermore, the timetable is scattered throughout the week which is extremely unfortunate. During a recent brainstorm with friends we discovered it would be possible to fit our eight hours of timetabled lessons into one day and save a fortune on housing costs by living at home and travelling in once a week. This would save a graduate approximately £15,000 pounds of debt and allow them the choice to live at home whilst still having equal access to university unhindered by proximity. I would recommend it for an intermediate level Jazz player and for a young person who wants a university life, a degree and to play with others. However I would say that the same amount of musical development could be achieved with private lessons some casual performing and collaborating fitted with a normal working week