Student reviews of Lancaster University

1,291 Lancaster University reviews

• Lancaster University

Lancaster University

Computer Science (with Industrial Experience) MSci (Hons)

My experience this year consisted of having a few breakdowns but despite that I achieved high grades and won a few competitions regarding cybersecurity due to the whole support of the academic staff and my friends from my course.

NW
Nathan Welch

Lancaster University

Mechanical Engineering BEng (Hons)

Its been very good and enjoying my time here. Its nice having a campus uni but sometimes you do wish it was a city uni. The cpurse is taught well but can be full on and taught too quickly.

Hellen

Lancaster University

Finance and Economics BSc (Hons)

It is okay, although 'important books' needing to buy are a pain. Not suitable if not used or don't use books to revise. Software from books are compulsory, which is a pain, meaning having to buy expensive first hand books.

Philippa

History BA (Hons)

I have loved University so far, it was everything that I imagined it to be. Fending for myself as well as meeting people from all over the country and over the world, being with people who have the same passion for my subject as I do. The opportunity to pick up a minor module as well has been a welcome option and the different experiences of living away from home.

K.

Law PhD

It’s been fun, exciting, challenging, and fun. Oh I already typed fun.

Isaac

Lancaster University

Politics (Placement Year) BA (Hons)

My university experience has been mostly good so far, thanks to my flatmates as they are really nice and easy people to talk to. In terms of being involved in things, it is very hard and makes me feel very nervous going to attend various events. Added to which when I do go, many of these events are not very well organised and can be very awkward to attend. However, most of the time, university so far has been very positive and I have made some good friends.

Simon

Conflict Resolution and Peace Studies MA

I was mis-sold my degree. They do not offer Conflict Resolution or Peace Studies modules despite them being advertised on the web site. It did not become apparent these modules were not being run until days after I had signed up, registered and committed to paying the year's fees. This trick of advertising but not providing modules is a recurring problem at Lancaster both the for undergraduates and postgraduates. Many of the students I have spoken to have said they encountered the same thing.

Safiya

Lancaster University

English Literature BA (Hons)

My university experience so far has been a good journey. At first, I struggled with my subject and wasn't sure whether I'd chosen the right subject, but support was available and after having spoken to several tutors and advisors, I felt at ease and was able to enjoy the university life much more than previously.

Sam

Physics (Study Abroad) MPhys

It’s been very enjoyable. I would recommend here to anyone. It is up-and-coming, and hopefully will soon be top-5. The course is good, the uni is well equipped, and the city is nice.

Lancaster University

Psychology and German Studies BA (Hons)

University experience has been a completely mixed bag. I think generally the negatives have outweighed the positives, but I am stil glad I experienced those positives. The encouragement to join college sport has been really enjoyable for me and something I think should be promoted more at Lancaster. Sport is such an important, healthy way to let off some steam, and also meet new people. I think there should be multiple options to play college sport, not just football and netball. The negatives for me at university boil down to the way the course is run. For the German side of the course, I have experienced relatively little problems, and the teaching staff have always been helpful and supportive. During the 10 week strike period, the teaching staff understood that this would have some impacts on our grade achieved and therefore took this into consideration when marking exams, which is fair. For the psychology side, this has not been a great experience for me. To start with, the course seems to be made up of assessment after assessment and relatively little time for learning. You are assessed at least once per week which can cause a lot of stress, and are encouraged to memorise information to regurgitate in an exam, rather than learning. The coursework feedback is always very vague - for example, I recieved feedback from an essay that I needed to improve my English. I went to see my personal tutor to ask for some support as to how I could improve my written English in coursework assignments. After reading this particular piece of coursework, my tutor found no issue with my English and said I wrote with fluency and accuracy. There are a lot of inconistencies and the standardised marking system does not work. During the strike period, the psychology department offered next to no support and continued to examine us on content that was never taught to us, both lectures and seminars. We then recieved no special consideration for not being taught on these modules, which left students feeling very anxious and stressed.