Glasgow School of Art

130 Glasgow School of Art reviews

The annual Whatuni Student Choice Awards (WUSCAs) highlight the incredible work carried out by institutions for their students. Each year we send a team of review collectors to university and college campuses across the length and breadth of the UK to gather student reviews. Students can also participate by filling in an online review form. Over 30,000 students participated in this year’s WUSCAs, making Whatuni the UK’s largest source of real, honest, student reviews.

• Glasgow School of Art
Blair

Communication Design BA (Hons)

This year has been bad, I have missed a lot of opportunities to grow and develop - but the teaching staff on my course have endeavoured to give us the best experience possible and I’m proud of the work I managed to create - I stand by the thought however that art school doesn’t work online

Cara

Fine Art - Environmental Art/Sculpture BA (Hons)

What a waste of 3 years. Complete waste of money and would not recommend to anyone looking to study fine art. The school invests nothing in its students education and teach you zero practical skills. People I know graduated in sculpture without ever actually using the workshops as they are so inaccessible!! They don't even have a kiln, there's virtually no contact with tutors, and you will have no workshops at all after second year. Tutors try their best but given no support for senior management in the school. They even closed the Vic and there is no students Union. Absolute shambles of a place and your degree isn't worth the paper it's written on. After graduating you will either be working a minimum wage job like myself or on universal credit unable to find work like many of my classmates. Graduating during covid we were promised the money from our degree show but they have stopped all communication regarding this and have no intention of ever giving us the money. Our degree was also so poorly assessed and based on our assignments from previous years. Almost a year on I'm still so upset and angry at how we've been treated. I will never forgive GSA for this and wouldn't wish my worst enemy to attend this place. Avoid at all costs.

1 people found this helpful

V
Vita

Fine Art - Painting/Printmaking BA (Hons)

I would have been better off in any other UK art school. The tutors are brilliant, but the student union is closed, staffs jobs are being thretaned to the point that they are not happy to support students in their upset at the student union closing, studio hours are reducing, technical support send outs being postponed during covid to the point where some students still don't have computer access to zoom, or wifi, and its October! (one month after the university started this year). Just don't bother. Glasgow is a great city, but all the other art schools I was considering going to are better than the reality GSA sold me three years ago. Its such a shame to see such a good arts school ride purely on its reputation, instead of helping its students to achieve.

Mary

Fine Art - Painting/Printmaking BA (Hons)

My time at the Glasgow School of Art was definitely a very character defining period of my life if the fire and everything definitely got in the way of me reaching my full potential and I definitely don't feel like I got my money's worth I was in a building that was isolated from the rest of the university so I had to walk about half an hour from the main building to get to my Building and I was meant to be collaborative and I'm actually quite a reserve person sometimes III like to have people around me I'm not the type to jump out and both of them you know

Anon

Fine Art - Environmental Art/Sculpture BA (Hons)

In an alternate universe I'd sue them for false advertising and wasting my time and money. I don't suggest looking at their website description at all, because it reads like propaganda when compared to my actual experience. 1: There is no allocated time to present or discuss interests/projects/struggles/opportunities with your classmates in the curriculum at all. There is no opportunity to present your works to the class so everyone gets to know each other as artists anytime during the year. 2: There are no actual "courses", they've separated the year into different projects and a new tutor comes in for every or every two projects or so. They often don't introduce themselves at all and in my experience are not willing to get to know students and help them with anything outside of the project. There're also no electives to engage students diversely. 3: Lack of talks/events/gallery spaces/professional connections. According to the curriculum plan, it seems that there is only one exhibition opportunity all the way at the end of 4th year. There is no move to develop students' personal art/work/practice and help them get publications/publicity/recognition in any form. As a result projects and time are often unorganized and left completely to students. Attendance issues are statistic and so is failure to finish projects. Worst of all, the dep head was very dishonest with me during the application process, he is either very unaware of how the program is actually doing or thinks it's fine to say whatever he needs to get me to pay the tuition. It's likely a mix of both but this place has a horrible sense of community and is living off of its former reputation. As it is now, it's not a place worth your time or money.

Alexandra

Architecture BArch (Hons)

Very intriguing and challenging but also fun and gives me so much. You get to learn more about yourself and also have fun on the way towards a degree. As an internation student however, brexit is causing me to be a bit anxious about the future.

Dabo

Fine Art - Environmental Art/Sculpture BA (Hons)

The worst education establishment I have ever attended. It is an institution which is purely interested in promoting it’s own ‘excellence’ and mystique but lets students down at every opportunity. Staff would barely notice if someone just stopped attending altogether. Supervision is so minimal that I think it would be feasible to simply come in, set up a degree show, hand in a dissertation and they would probably award you a degree there and then!

Beth
02 Jul 19

Fine Art - Painting/Printmaking BA (Hons)

Wouldn't recommend £9250 for nothing, don't waste your time! I worked hard for 3 years to go to my dream art school and was left very disappointed. It's a lot of money to pay for a disorganised course with a complete lack of resources

Mo

Silversmithing & Jewellery Design BA (Hons)

I have enjoyed the lifestyle but if I were to apply for uni again I certainly wouldn’t apply to GSA. They’re disorganised, unsupportive and honestly all you need to look at is the fact they are at the bottom of the league table for student satisfaction and that says it all.

Mihai

MSc Medical Visualisation & Human Anatomy

The academic institutions are well organised, highly qualified staff, broad spectrum of educational instruments, clear goals and high level offer and expectations. I just wish I would work harder to take advantage of the resources available here. The city is absolutely gorgeous, could spend my entire time wandering the streets, and my entire fortune here shopping. :)) Last but not least, the people are very friendly and relaxed, yet not intrusive (I am 6-foot 7, never seen a taller guy yet, yet no one stares - big thumbs up).