986 Durham University reviews

• Durham University
Maia

Durham University

English Literature BA (Hons)

I have loved university so far and made some great, lifelong friends despite covid restrictions. The university has also been very understanding of the difficulties experienced by students this year and so support has been essential. I always felt like I knew who to contact if I found myself struggling, both academically and with welfare issues, so this was never a worry. My tutors were also great with extending deadlines and giving us extra time if it was needed as a result of the challenging year we have all experienced, meaning that academic work never became a worry and I always knew who to ask for help.

Durham University

Biological Sciences BSc (Hons)

It has not been the greatest due to lockdown restrictions and staff strikes. I feel like I was only in university for a total of 4 months. Lecturers are not the most interesting and marking can be quite unfair. But the practical are really enjoyable and has very good student life

Nour

Geography BA (Hons)

I really enjoyed my time at Durham before Covid, both socially and academically. Throughout the pandemic I could see the department efforts to switch to online teaching. Whilst online lectures and contact hours were carried out in an acceptable manner, I don’t think students were supported appropriately. Many lecturers failed to understand the individual strains put on student’s mental health/studying abilities and showed little sympathy.

Saffron

Geography BSc (Hons)

While I’ve had some extremely stressful moments and I did contemplate dropping out especially due to my health and the lack of help or recognition from the university. I believe that it’s still been a good experience as most of the modules I’ve enjoyed if I’ve had questions they have been answered. My accommodation and college have been a great places for me mentally as I’m surrounded by people my own age. The library was relatively always accessible and was a great different four walls.

Leonor

Biosciences MBiol

Covid hindered a lot of the social aspects of Durham this year but academically very fulfilling. There was always new content to keep up to date with, however, feedback was inconsistent.

Holly

Durham University

Economics with Management BA (Hons)

Teaching experience during term 1 was relatively good but I felt very detached during term 2 while studying at home. I feel that there has been a lack of consideration for how difficult this year has been

Lucy

Music BA (Hons)

My university experience has been excellent in terms of the people I have met and the college I am at. However, online learning was no substitute for in person teaching and I feel my course could be more practical.

jessie

Geography BA (Hons)

I think the uni could have made more effort to do in person teaching and more in person events, especially in first term when we weren’t in a lockdown. Online teaching is not the same and means you can’t meet anyone from your course.

Megan

Durham University

English Literature BA (Hons)

It has been perfectly okay. Considering the global situation, I think my university has done fairly well. I just wish they had opened some study spaces, even outdoor ones. It also goes without saying that socialising was very difficult this year.

Durham University

I enjoy classes in person more, but obviously with the pandemic, we have to do what we have to and take our classes online. Therefore, I don’t think this year has been value for money given that I have still to pay £23100 for this year as an international student. However, lecturers and staff members are really supportive and amazing. I love them!