Student reviews of University Centre Colchester at Colchester Institute

24 University Centre Colchester at Colchester Institute reviews

• University Centre Colchester at Colchester Institute
Ian

Photography BA (Hons)

Best thing I ever decided to do, I am what you might call a mature student and I can honestly say I'm having the best possible experience. If you are in any doubt you should come along and have a look or just go for it. It is all a lot easier than I ever thought possible and they are interested in your outlook rather than bits of paper.

Andrew

Photography BA (Hons)

As an older student i worried that i would be 'out of touch' with those around me but the staff have made this transition easy for me. I have revealed in learning a new ability and feel that the college and staff have done everything possible to help me. The taught subject lessons have been interesting and engaging and have enthused me for the subject.

estelle

Photography BA (Hons)

my overall college experience so far has been busy but exciting, this is because the work load i receive keeps me occupied at all times. however there is also many exciting elements to the course, for example using the studio and darkroom often which is something i enjoy, as well as going on trips to expand our knowledge (Brighton) during the first year it was taken as a shock to how much work i had to hand in, throughout all modules but this year i feel more organised.

Photography BA (Hons)

Very positive, came out with better grades than i thought on first year and i think this is down to such personal teaching and helpful tutors and also because of the range of skills we explored. i learnt so much in my first year and feel i have a very good basis of knowledge now which i can use for furthering my education.

Megan

Photography BA (Hons)

i have enjoyed my uni experience and have learnt a lot in the past year and a bit, i have learnt both digital and analogue photography and been able to use both studios and ovations in my work and been able to get creative

Anna

Photography BA (Hons)

I have learnt a lot in the first year, although not with digital photography. So this year I am hoping to learn more about that as that is the medium I am interested in

Emma

Photography BA (Hons)

As a second year student I can strongly say that I am having the best time studying photography at this university. I have built strong relationships with the staff and students which makes the learning environment a happy place to work. I am grateful for the opportunities that I have been offered throughout my time on the course and look forward to developing my skills and work experience with the support of my tutors.

Paige

Photography BA (Hons)

The three years I spent studying Photography were the most influential of my life, although the course is small this gives you a closer relationship with your tutors and class mates. In particular so much one to one time with your tutors which was crucial to learning throughout the course. The structure of the course worked very well for me, in particular the first year which taught you all the crucial skills you need as a photographer. The second year briefs being more open to develop your own photographic style, and the final year letting you develop your own style further. I have to say this course, the tutors and the university itself were amazing in regards to support. After graduating 2 years ago, I still remain in contact with my tutors and I will always be grateful for their work.

Charlotte

University Centre Colchester at Colchester Institute

Graphic Design and Digital Communication BA (Hons)

The course gave me the skills and knowledge I needed to embark on a career in Graphic Design. Tutors are supportive and accessible. A benefit of it being a smaller course is the excellent amount of one to one tutorial time and access to facilities. The modules are all relevant to the industry. This course strikes a great balance between commercial design/advertising and the more artistic/conceptual side of design. The briefs allowed me to develop a clear sense of personal direction in the field of design. I highly recommend this course.

Aurie

University Centre Colchester at Colchester Institute

It's been mostly positive with a few areas for improvement. The classes tend to be small, which allows for more 1-2-1 time with tutors, though it is down to you to organise this. Some of the support modules are poorly organised which puts pressure on students to be more independent in their studies, yet it does offer more freedom if you prefer to work with limited feedback. I think this is a course that you get out what you put it, if you aren't able to plan your time, or ask for what you need it can be challenging. For those who know what they want and are able to work independently its brilliant!