University Centre Colchester at Colchester Institute | Student Reviews

• University Centre Colchester at Colchester Institute
Susie
14 Jul 19

University Centre Colchester at Colchester Institute

As a mature student my experience has been fantastically rewarding and challenging. Now that I’ve completed my degree, I feel confident in what I’ve learnt and excited about what my creative future holds. Working hard most definitely pays off but listening and learning from a multitude of creative professionals has been invaluable too. As with so much in life, it’s what you make of it and I consider my studies to have been a truly formative and invigorating experience, seeing the world around me in new and exciting perspectives - rich with potential for creative conversations, continued learning and also growth.

Heidi
11 Jul 19

University Centre Colchester at Colchester Institute

I have thoroughly enjoyed my educational experience. The small taking of the course seemed to make us, as students, form a stronger bond with each other which helped us manage throughout the duration of the course. The staff have been consistently exceptional in helping us achieve our vision and broaden our creative limits. The facilities available at the college encouraged me to learn a vast range of skills that I was unlikely to encounter or partake in at a university with a greater intake of students. I have had the opportunity to be surrounded by a variety of creatives, both students and staff, and gained a wider understanding of my subject. The addition of frequent artist talks throughout the years also allowed for a better understanding of life beyond art school as well as allowing us to receive feedback about our own practice from people whom don't know us, finally, it has encouraged us to begin making contacts outside of the perimeters of where we know.

Deborah
11 Jul 19

University Centre Colchester at Colchester Institute

As a mature student returning to education for a career change, I was extremely nervous of entering full time education again. However I did not need to worry as this course and it's tutors are at the top of their profession and helped me navigate the art experience. The access to studio space is amazing and I had my own area which was a really good size with access to workshops and darkrooms. The small class size means excellent one to one with tutors on a regular basis. The modules are well laid out and tutors are clear and patient. Technicians are always on hand to book time to help if you need new skills or want assistance with electrical or gallery assistance. The studio is as clean as the students make it and there is good health and safety guidence. Great ceramic tutoring and woodworking skills tutorage and fine art has good access to photographic studios too and the technical knowledge is great. Lectures are fantastic and relevant to contemporay themes.

Ian

Photography BA (Hons)

Best thing I ever decided to do, I am what you might call a mature student and I can honestly say I'm having the best possible experience. If you are in any doubt you should come along and have a look or just go for it. It is all a lot easier than I ever thought possible and they are interested in your outlook rather than bits of paper.

Andrew

Photography BA (Hons)

As an older student i worried that i would be 'out of touch' with those around me but the staff have made this transition easy for me. I have revealed in learning a new ability and feel that the college and staff have done everything possible to help me. The taught subject lessons have been interesting and engaging and have enthused me for the subject.

estelle

Photography BA (Hons)

my overall college experience so far has been busy but exciting, this is because the work load i receive keeps me occupied at all times. however there is also many exciting elements to the course, for example using the studio and darkroom often which is something i enjoy, as well as going on trips to expand our knowledge (Brighton) during the first year it was taken as a shock to how much work i had to hand in, throughout all modules but this year i feel more organised.

Photography BA (Hons)

Very positive, came out with better grades than i thought on first year and i think this is down to such personal teaching and helpful tutors and also because of the range of skills we explored. i learnt so much in my first year and feel i have a very good basis of knowledge now which i can use for furthering my education.

Megan

Photography BA (Hons)

i have enjoyed my uni experience and have learnt a lot in the past year and a bit, i have learnt both digital and analogue photography and been able to use both studios and ovations in my work and been able to get creative

Anna

Photography BA (Hons)

I have learnt a lot in the first year, although not with digital photography. So this year I am hoping to learn more about that as that is the medium I am interested in

Emma

Photography BA (Hons)

As a second year student I can strongly say that I am having the best time studying photography at this university. I have built strong relationships with the staff and students which makes the learning environment a happy place to work. I am grateful for the opportunities that I have been offered throughout my time on the course and look forward to developing my skills and work experience with the support of my tutors.