Cardiff University | Student Reviews

• Cardiff University
U
Umair

Cardiff University

Logistics and Operations Management (MSc)

The overall university experience has been alright so far given the circumstances. The remote learning has been as good as it could possibly be. However in terms of the value for money for an international student, it has not been good.

James

History BA (Hons)

Cardiff’s approach to this year has been acceptable, but not nearly as good as I could’ve hoped. I haven’t had a single physical seminar this year, and virtual seminars have been shorter, more chaotic and generally worthless for learning or discussing. Whilst it’s been a hard year for everyone, students have often been left to the dogs, receiving sub-par education, but still at a premium. The university hasn’t learnt from what we students have told them, and I doubt in future years they will listen either.

Tabby

Cardiff University

Law and Politics (Integrated) LLB (Hons)

My lecturers are absolutely amazing, they've on the whole been really helpful and good at supporting me in my learning and doing their best despite the current situation. The university itself has been problematic in its handling of the coronavirus, but I've on the whole had a reasonably good experience

Megha

Mathematics BSc (Hons)

Due to COVID, the lectures were mostly online. Sometimes lecturers would take long to respond to emails and in some circumstances not email back at all. The lecturers are good at explaining but I think that

Kat

Cardiff University

International Public Relations and Global Communications Management (MA)

I'd say that the best part about my university experience was the people that I've been fortunate enough to meet. I suppose this could have happened at any institution, and I certainly got lucky. But Cardiff has an excellent reputation, so it's not a surprise that it would attract people who want to study and succeed, but also interact with others. Having said that, I am studying on a communications masters, so my experience will likely be different to other courses! The academic staff in my school are clearly passionate about their roles, but I have found the standard of teaching to her very hit and miss from lecturer to lecturer. The course is also undergoing a transition in terms of content, and I feel like we definitely got caught in the middle of that. The university and city both have a fantastic feel about them. I've loved living and studying in Cardiff. It's affordable, and offers an excellent study/life balance. I feel positive about my job prospects - despite Covid-19 - and feel proud to have the university on my CV.

Alice

Philosophy MPhil

In a word, mediocre. It's not been worth the 7.5k I'm paying. The lecturers very often don't know how to answer straightforward questions regarding what the essay questions are asking for. Neither do they know how to make it explicit in their feedback what is wrong with your essay and how they mark it. What has been my saving grace, at the least, has been the societies and the wellbeing services regarding 1-to-1 essay help and counselling. I would have dropped out months ago had I not accessed these services.

Megha

Mathematics BSc (Hons)

Has been good. I have enjoyed living independently but the amount of work and content needed to learn is stressful. A lot of hours needed to learn something from a 1 hour lecture.

Nest

Cardiff University

Law and Welsh (Integrated) LLB (Hons)

Fantastic! I have made lifelong friends and love the city. I love the societies available here, including the students media at the students union. I am very grateful of the Welsh community here - although there could be more Welsh language provision and engagement across the university

Tom

Cardiff University

Environmental Geography BSc (Hons)

Really really enjoyed it, a lot of clubs and events available throughout the year assembly as beaches just 30minuites away by train and the brecconnbeacons on the doorstep

Nic

Cardiff University

English Literature BA (Hons)

I’ve really enjoyed my course and getting involved in societies. I loved living in halls as I always felt safe, living in student housing makes me feel more unsafe.