Brunel University London

1,373 Brunel University London reviews

Our collection of real, honest student reviews of unis and courses is the largest in the UK, and help you make well-informed decisions about your future. Student reviews also form the basis of our annual Whatuni Student Choice Awards(WUSCAs), which highlight great work carried out by institutions for their students.

• Brunel University London
32440 reviews

Great job/placement opportunities, helpful with applications

Reviewed: 04 April 2014

Theatre and Creative Writing BA

Amazing atmosphere at Brunel University. Always a great sense of Community. The student union is a great place to relax or to socialise. Many clubs and societies for people with particular passions to attend. Brilliant lecturers, very experienced and most of them are published. Night life in Uxbridge isn't so great, but the university is great. I love Brunel!

Reviewed: 04 April 2014
32440 reviews

Finance and Accounting BSc (Hons)

As a white British second year finance and accounting student with no particular religious beliefs, I have grown increasingly more frustrated and depressed with the university life at Brunel. The societies are few and generally aimed at specific cultures/religious beliefs/nationalities or people doing a specific course, and those that aren't are often difficult to become a member of, or are not an active society despite being advertised as one. The lecturers are predominantly (from my experience on my course) rather boring or difficult to understand with no sense of humour, with the odd exception and have been found to be rather unhelpful at times. The town is not very nice and there's only one average club (although there are many pubs and a metropolitan line train service from town straight into central London if you are willing to undertake the grand journey there and plan your journey home again) The students union bar is a nice place to go for a drink with some friends and there are a few places to have something to eat at the union, but the university club (if you have ever been clubbing before and have experience of other clubs) is distinctly average at best and completely empty most nights except for friday nights and weekends. (I once invited some friends to the university on a weekday and walked into the union at about 10 pm to find the club and entire union absolutely deserted. rather embarassing.) My experience of accomodation was poor as i was, after being accepted through clearing, automatically put in the poorer quality accomodation. there was no common room and no kind of social activity for the halls such as a halls christmas dinner, or halls rugby team as i understand there are at many other univerisities.

Reviewed: 07 December 2013
32440 reviews

Economics and Business Finance BSc (Hons)

I've been pleasantly surprised about Brunel so far as it has far exceeded my expectations. The campus is beautiful and spaced out (but everything is still within walking distance). The sports facilities are amazing; theres just so much to do, everyone can find something they enjoy! I particularly recommend the Judo Club, the coaches are fantastic and the people you find on the judo mat are quite a lovely bunch. Lecturers are okay, some excellent ones and some who are very learned individuals but just not great lecturers. However, in my experience all lecturers (no matter how grumpy they may seem during lectures) are more than willing to help you out if you go to them after lectures and will go through great pains to try and explain whatever you may need help with.

Reviewed: 12 November 2013
32440 reviews

Marketing Management BSc with Placement BSc (Hons)

The student life and the general environment of the uni was brilliant! It was like being in your own little bubble. It felt like being in a little family community, and even after having left university if I meet someone who studied at Brunel it instantly feels like there is a bond.There is a lot to do in terms of extracurricular activities - join clubs and societies and get involved! That is one part of my university life I regret - not getting as involved as I could have in the first 2 years. When my final 2 years came I was too busy with my workload to get involved!In terms of the course itself, I studied Business and Management (Marketing). Overall I wasn't too happy purely because I didn't quite realise before I started how much would consist of independent learning - only 6 hours a week on ave. of lectures wasn't enough in my opinion. Also I didn't quite realise that the course involved a lot of independent learning. From this a word of advice would be to ensure you double check the no. of tutor hours or the number of students per lecturer.Despite not being too happy with the teaching for my degree, I think it pushed me harder and it definitely paid off as I ended up with a 1st Class degree :).I also did a sandwich degree (my 3rd year was a placement year in industry), and that is definitely something I would recommend! It's a brilliant opportunity to get hands on experience, a majority of placements are paid, it made me more determined to succeed in my final year, and it gave me a year of experience to add to my C.V - I secured a job only months after graduating!

Reviewed: 29 October 2013
32440 reviews

Biomedical Sciences BSc (Hons)

Friendly, sociable and open environment. Large lecture theatres with excellent lecturers. Plenty of places to grab a coffee on campus (Costa and Starbucks) along with the unis own coffee. Large library with great facilities and plenty of textbooks to go around. With a quiet area on the third floor it's easy to concentrate and knuckle down with work. Lecturers always open for any queries and will explain anything to you. It's a pleasure to study here.

Reviewed: 21 October 2013
32440 reviews

Games Design and Creative Writing BA (Hons)

Whenever I say to people that I study at Brunel University they either think it's in Bristol, or they haven't heard of it and that's a real shame. The campus is just one huge path that goes on for ages with absolutely everything you could want on it (Subway, CostCutters, HSBC, Academy night club, Student union, Sports Centre, restaurant, you name it.) and the facilities themselves are excellent. I recently made a trip to UWE for my friends birthday and I was reminded how much better laid out Brunel University is than any other University I have so far visited. I study Games Design and Creative Writing and whilst I wouldn't mind a few more lectures on the off week, the course is incredible because I am learning things that I WANT to learn. I'm not studying a degree that I don't have any interest in to get somewhere that i'm not certain I want to go. This is so important to me personally and what helps that is the brilliant facilities for Games Design in particular at the university. Overall this is a uni that is jumping ranks every year and deserves, from what I've experienced so far, to be right at the top tier of the league tables, but mid 40s will do for now.

Reviewed: 19 October 2013
32440 reviews

Journalism (NCTJ accredited) BA (Hons)

Brunel University is a place where a lot of cultures melts, you can meet a chinese the day your arrive, being friend with a German, and end up sitting next to a bulgarian each lecture. It is a really relax place, every one I have met so far, from teachers to student are nice. If you are foreign, people will try to understand your accent. I am doing journalism and the lectures are great, as well as the staff. More than being a really good, place to study, the Brunel staff aim at make you having a good time at uni: meeting friends (Fresher weeks/ Accomodation for every first year), having an healthy life (Wednesday afternoon is generally a day to do sport / Fresher Fayre during fresher week.), going out (One rest day a week and the weekend/ Locos and the academy club), having a job (How to right cv/cover letter seminar / Placement fair / placement center) . As it is based in a town right to London (Uxbridge) it has all the perks of living in the London area without most of the disadvantages.The 24/7 security staff around the campus aim at providing you a good environment, even if sometimes they come in and write down your name for an unfair reason.

Reviewed: 18 October 2013

Composition BMus

Brunel has a great community feel to it, mainly thanks to the Student Union who never seem to be out of ideas for anything. Uxbridge is a great place to live as a student if you want access to Central London but without the high living costs. I'd definitely give it 10/10 for going out if it wasn't a long a journey into the city. There is so much diversity and so many things to get involved with.

Reviewed: 18 October 2013