Student reviews of BIMM

191 BIMM reviews

• BIMM

BIMM

Event Management BA (Hons)

The university experience was good. BIMM is a small college that has multiple small campuses dotted around the city it's situated in. University life is not crazy as you don't live in dorms and you don't mix with others as much as you probably would at a big university. It's nice for people who are very independent and want to pursue a career in music. The students and tutors are lovely. Course-wise, it is very hit or miss. Some courses are fantastic and some would recommend them wholeheartedly. Just make sure to look up your tutors and reviews on your course before you start. My course was down voted by many and I chose to ignore this and I hated it. The modules were boring, I didn't learn anything and it just felt like I was at college, but spending thousands of pounds on it. Honestly I could have just taken a college course in this subject instead of a university course and saved myself a lot of money. Also the tutors waffle on about random stuff sometimes because they get too friendly with the students and it wastes SO much time. BIMM do ask you to review your tutors frequently and they will bring in better tutors. My advice is, if you are not enjoying your course five weeks in, you can change to another course. Make sure that you change if you dislike your course within the five weeks because it doesn't get any better from there. Other than that, the positives are that it is a lovely place to be in, LOTS of opportunities, events and people you can work with. The student support is amazing, the tutors are actually music industry workers and have a lot of interesting anecdotes and experiences to share. It's not a bad university whatsoever, you'll love it, it's just certain courses are not worth the money and I hate to say it, because I adore everyone at BIMM, but my course wasn't.

24 Jul 18

BIMM

Music Production BA (Hons)

I am just so happy to be done. I just want to graduate. I just want my results. I also just really wanted to spread the word that this is not the place to fulfil your dreams to move onto a career in music production. If anything it will put you off completely. Some tutors even tell you that it won't work out. I'm really disappointed that I am coming away from 3 years feeling this way, as when I started I had every hope that I would be happy and enjoy the majority of my degree. I urge you, if you are reading this to work out whether to come here or not, to look elsewhere. There will be somewhere else offering the same things (apparently), but they will actually do what they say they will, unlike BIMM. Even the Music Production Course at UWL (where this degree used to be accredited from until this year) offer something very similar, which seems to have a much higher level of student satisfaction, along with better facilities in general. This degree is now accredited by a university based outside of London, so to get library facilities (etc.), you will have to use the standard local library, or travel a long way, costing precious pennies. DON'T COME HERE

Music Journalism BA (Hons)

Overall, the course is good but it does sometimes make you question where your £6,500 is going. Lectures also sometimes get cancelled last minute and not rescheduled which doesn't help the matter. Finding accommodation is not particularly easy, particularly if working on a lower budget as the university do not have halls. In Brighton/Hove, most students are paying £500+ for a room, so that's something to bare in mind. It's a fine course, but there have definitely been times where I've seriously considered dropping out.

CB
Cat Birnage

Music Business BA (Hons)

Brilliant - so happy I came back to education for this. All the tutors care about your education and future career in and out of the classes and the whole uni cares about the wellbeing of the students.

Aimee

Professional Musicianship - Bass, Guitar, Drums or Vocals BA (Hons)

Fantastic university, very knowledgable tutors who are approachable and highly skilled. Lots of presentations involved and performing in front of others is highly encouraged and not forced in classes. Lessons are well structured.

CN
Catarina Nery Oliveira

Professional Musicianship - Bass, Guitar, Drums or Vocals BA (Hons)

Great fun, with plenty of opportunities to grow as both a professional artist and as a person. Networking is highly promoted and the learning environment is very welcoming.

LG
Liane Gualdim Marinha da Cruz e Silva

Professional Musicianship - Bass, Guitar, Drums or Vocals BA (Hons)

Amazing. The opportunities and the way they teach us how to grab them is unique. And the mood in uni is always music-oriented and stimulating. State of the art facilities

JB
Jade Bompela

Music Journalism BA (Hons)

not really a fan of it, i hate all the people who go there, they seem really stupid and self righteous. It's shit, people are always singing in the hallway when i'm trying to learn

Music Journalism BA (Hons)

I think as its a small university, it has a very college or HE type feel to it. As i am a bit older, perhaps i feel this more. I studied at Access To Music before this course and it has the same type of atmosphere. I think it's very 'self help' here, you need to ask for the help in order to get it. I suppose this is like all universities but i think that this moodle system means that you have the option to get help when you need it but otherwise it's not necessarily there.

CJ
Charlotte Jackson

BIMM

Event Management BA (Hons)

After dropping out of another Uni (studying psychology) in 2016 I began thinking maybe uni isn't for me - although I'd been working towards it my whole life! But coming to BIMM has really changed my perception of uni and uni experience. It has encouraged me to work collaboratively, network and develop my own ideas about things and question other things. I love it, and I feel like I am genuinely learning and feel confident that when I leave uni I will be equipped with the skills and confidence I need to build a successful career.